What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

BLM01

First Grade
Can't go to work. Can't go to a wedding. Can't go to a funeral. Can't go to Anzac Day service. Can't go to a religious service. Can't go to the pub. Can't go to the pictures. Can't visit a National Park. Can't go for a swim at the beach.

But NRL players are going to be allowed to play??? Really don't get this. It's just not that important at the moment.

You forgot kids going back to school OK now to a maximum of 15 in a class..why 15 + teacher I dont know.
Racing no ban but no crowds
They are removing the bandaid but ever so slowly because they know...day by day..thats why and not just in this country..and any peeling back of any restriction is important to this country, economy which is still going to take a massive hit and more importantly to many more people that was and currently directly affected by Covid.

giboz71

First Grade
As to the beaches being reopened today , I believe that it was a huge mistake, in fact it was far too premature as the disease is not in any shape or form under control.

One only needs to evaluate the statistics from South Korea and China itself to realize that there is still a long way to go before any restrictions should be relaxed . Those countries are showing that people who have recovered (?) from the virus are still testing positive a month or so later , but without any symptoms.

If the beautiful people of the Sydney eastern suburbs ( which was reportedly a Covid-19 hotspot ) wish to show off their bodies , then let them do so in front of a mirror in their own homes .

I’d like to think that most citizens would do the right thing. But there is a proportion of people who reject the seriousness of the virus. They probably don’t have elderly parents or grandparents and they just don’t care. If they get it, then it’s nothing more than getting the flu.

These are the people who when restrictions are lifted slightly just won’t follow the rules. I know of many people who think this way and there is nothing you can do to change their minds.

Hence loosening restrictions like opening the beaches is a recipe for disaster. The idiots won’t be happy with taking an inch, they will take the whole mile.

Old Timer

Coach
The NRL & Fittler bagging the Qld premier for some time now saying they had a full briefing for her of how it would all work.
The NRL finalised the details with media outlets late yesterday and say they are now going to inform clubs of how it all works including the number of games, the bio diversity stuff and some clubs are wondering if they can in fact comply with those requirements.
One would think that the model would have been finalised with the clubs 1st, then the sponsors, then the media and after all that a presentation of the "facts" of that proposal to state & federal governments and relevant agencies.
It is this lack of credibility within NRL circles that makes me cringe when they say they are ready to recommence the season.

jeffdragon

Bench
With no footy atm.
Hopefully all goes to plan with the restart.
Just watched Anzac day 2012 game.when we won on the bell.
Was enjoyable when we can win games in the final minutes, unlike now when we lose them.

Dragon David

First Grade
With no footy atm.
Was enjoyable when we can win games in the final minutes, unlike now when we lose them.
The one we lost in the final seconds against the Storm a few years back was a killer. My word did I let go a few expletives on that night. Absolutely devastated. Another game we lost in the final moments was against the Raiders. I think Josh Dugan beat us on the bell.

Comebacks by us are few and far between but great when they happen. Will we have any this year?

Crush

Coach
With no footy atm.
Yes I just watched it too. B Moz had a shocker that day. Funny to see Merrin and Latimore playing that game also.
2005 will be on tonight also, that was a belter of a game.

jeffdragon

Bench
Yes I just watched it too. B Moz had a shocker that day. Funny to see Merrin and Latimore playing that game also.
2005 will be on tonight also, that was a belter of a game.
Is that on the podcast?
Would like to see 2015, when the hailstorm hit.
That was a great win.

Gareth67

First Grade
Hey Gareth enjoy your posts

Mate I looked at my papers this morning 5am here - in 1999 737 heroin overdose deaths in Sydney - checked the COV19 page just then - dont mean to be a wanker - just working in the Cross for so long in the 80's and 90's - we took more kids to Glebe than you would ever know

View attachment 37857Australia
Confirmed
Recovered
Deaths

My heart goes out to each of those young kids , caught up in Lord knows what until they are used by the lowlifes of society and usually by means of free drugs for a short period of time until they are trapped .

Of course the big difference with Covid-19 is the absolute destruction it has caused upon all facets of society worldwide in such a short period of time .

The statistics from the drug effected were undoubtedly much higher as would had been the death rate , however with this insidious virus the same would apply if not for the outstanding efforts of our Medical profession - whether they be doctors , nurses , para-medics and or even the cleaning staff of the hospitals. And of course the Australian government has done a tremendous job of putting protocols in place that have proved to be most effective.

But after containing this disease so well why would they , the State government decide to open the beach’s is just beyond me .

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
My heart goes out to each of those young kids , caught up in Lord knows what until they are used by the lowlifes of society and usually by means of free drugs for a short period of time until they are trapped .

Of course the big difference with Covid-19 is the absolute destruction it has caused upon of facets of society worldwide in such a short period of time .

The statistics from the drug effected were undoubtedly much higher as would had been the death rate , however with this insidious virus the same would apply if not for the outstanding efforts of our Medical profession - whether they be doctors , nurses , para-medics and or even the cleaning staff of the hospitals. And of course the Australian government has done a tremendous job of putting protocols in place that have proved to be most effective.

But after containing this disease so well why would they , the State government decide to open the beach’s is just beyond me .
Thinking the same old mate , just when we are starting to get over this , they want to start opening things ..... We haven't hit Winter yet and its then this virus is at it's best , should continue to isolate through winter months ..... Also restrictions will be easier due to weather being colder less people about .... Let's hold off a bit longer , to make sure , for me winter time will be the challenge ........

Old Timer

Coach
There is no length the NRL won’t go to try and get themselves in the public eye.
Headline today that the NRL will reward health workers with a 3 game SOO series at season end.
Rumoured that they will try to get some social distancing rules around being able to get them into the ground to watch.
FMD if you reward all the Heath workers as they claim then you wouldn’t have a ground big enough to hold them so maybe they need a 9 game series.
If you want to really reward health workers then how about all match payments are donated to scientific research of Covid19?
FMD they would play the game anyway so where is the reward for anyone other than the players?
Self serving aresholes.

Gareth67

First Grade
I’d like to think that most citizens would do the right thing. But there is a proportion of people who reject the seriousness of the virus. They probably don’t have elderly parents or grandparents and they just don’t care. If they get it, then it’s nothing more than getting the flu.

These are the people who when restrictions are lifted slightly just won’t follow the rules. I know of many people who think this way and there is nothing you can do to change their minds.

Hence loosening restrictions like opening the beaches is a recipe for disaster. The idiots won’t be happy with taking an inch, they will take the whole mile.

Unfortunately gizbo71 that is indeed the case - some really do not fully grasp just how dire and deadly the virus can be .

And that viewpoint is not only here in Australia but overseas also. A news clip last week from America showed young college youths on their ‘ spring break ‘ who were interviewed about their thoughts on the Covid virus . What they said was most alarming as they simply wanted to enjoy the holidays and really were not that concerned.

Now if there is anyone among us who is still wondering just how Mr.Trump got elected into office then look no further than the mentality of these young Americans - they will guarantee that he remains in office for years to come .

Dragon David

First Grade
Thinking the same old mate , just when we are starting to get over this , they want to start opening things ..... We haven't hit Winter yet and its then this virus is at it's best , should continue to isolate through winter months ..... Also restrictions will be easier due to weather being colder less people about .... Let's hold off a bit longer , to make sure , for me winter time will be the challenge ........
You are spot on here hazzbeen. Our winter hasn't arrived yet but when it does, it will be like the winters Europe and the United Kingdom and the USA are still going through and you know what the figures of infections they have had so far. Can't be too careful with these damn bugs.

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately gizbo71 that is indeed the case - some really do not fully grasp just how dire and deadly the virus can be .

And that viewpoint is not only here in Australia but overseas also. A news clip last week from America showed young college youths on their ‘ spring break ‘ who were interviewed about their thoughts on the Covid virus . What they said was most alarming as they simply wanted to enjoy the holidays and really were not that concerned.

Now if there is anyone among us who is still wondering just how Mr.Trump got elected into office then look no further than the mentality of these young Americans - they will guarantee that he remains in office for years to come .
Unfortunately, Trump has got sh-t for brains and lacks the common sense judgement needed to be an effective leader of the country. Saying that people should be injected with disinfectant - ha what a joke!!

Most of the young people will get over the virus if they are infected. It is how they will transmit the virus to the not too healthy older people in the community and that is why they don't give a damn.

Dragon David

First Grade
Unfortunately, Trump has got sh-t for brains and lacks the common sense judgement needed to be an effective leader of the country. Saying that people should be injected with disinfectant - ha what a joke!!

Most of the young people will get over the virus if they are infected. It is how they will transmit the virus to the not too healthy older people in the community and that is why they don't give a damn.
I just watched the movie Contagion. The screenplay was written by Scott Z. Burns. I tell you what, they did great research for the movie and it is so close to what we are going through right now.

For those people interested, if you look up vulture.com contagion there is an article in which Scott Z. Burns answers many questions worth reading. He also answers questions about Donald Trump and his take on the disease.

Gareth67

First Grade
I just watched the movie Contagion. The screenplay was written by Scott Z. Burns. I tell you what, they did great research for the movie and it is so close to what we are going through right now.

For those people interested, if you look up vulture.com contagion there is an article in which Scott Z. Burns answers many questions worth reading. He also answers questions about Donald Trump and his take on the disease.

Last night I watched a film called ‘ The Omega Man ‘ with Charlton Heston , as with your ‘ Contagion ‘ it was most similar to what the world is experiencing now .

BLM01

First Grade
The one we lost in the final seconds against the Storm a few years back was a killer. My word did I let go a few expletives on that night. Absolutely devastated. Another game we lost in the final moments was against the Raiders. I think Josh Dugan beat us on the bell.

Comebacks by us are few and far between but great when they happen. Will we have any this year?
What about the classic current Dragon type game under Mary...that we won.
We play the Tigers last Round in 2015.Tigers could not make the 8. I think by the time our game came around we were likely not to be knocked out of the semis but had to win to be sure or as no big upsets elsewhere. We go out to about a 30-6 or 30-12 lead at half time?. Tigers come roaring back to 30 all to take it to Golden Point. Josh Dugan was kicking earlier and missed a pretty easy one. Robbie Farah gives a penalty away for being offside from marker in extra time. Dugan has a sitter from in front to win us the game and nearly misses. i was right behind the kick at ground level and thought he did it was that bad. Classic
There is no length the NRL won’t go to try and get themselves in the public eye.
Headline today that the NRL will reward health workers with a 3 game SOO series at season end.
Rumoured that they will try to get some social distancing rules around being able to get them into the ground to watch.
FMD if you reward all the Heath workers as they claim then you wouldn’t have a ground big enough to hold them so maybe they need a 9 game series.
If you want to really reward health workers then how about all match payments are donated to scientific research of Covid19?
FMD they would play the game anyway so where is the reward for anyone other than the players?
Self serving aresholes.

It is called running a business...and a business that has been bleeding money
No mistake Racing is flying ATM
I think it is a great initiative to offer health care workers in acknowledging their special roles in all this and to offer normal supporters to quarantine themselves and prove it before being allowed in
Again all this is only some insurance if crowds are still restricted to one of the games biggest earners.
Sounds good outside of the box thinking and foresoght and smart business sense to me

Dont get what your gripe still is about a smart sports administartor coming up with ideas and implementing them to get their business up and running and employing and paying many..not just the high end of town
And before you say it it is with govt sanction and approval including the health experts...otherwise nothing would happen.

Old Timer

Coach
What about the classic current Dragon type game under Mary...that we won.
We play the Tigers last Round in 2015.Tigers could not make the 8. I think by the time our game came around we were likely not to be knocked out of the semis but had to win to be sure or as no big upsets elsewhere. We go out to about a 30-6 or 30-12 lead at half time?. Tigers come roaring back to 30 all to take it to Golden Point. Josh Dugan was kicking earlier and missed a pretty easy one. Robbie Farah gives a penalty away for being offside from marker in extra time. Dugan has a sitter from in front to win us the game and nearly misses. i was right behind the kick at ground level and thought he did it was that bad. Classic

It is called running a business...and a business that has been bleeding money
No mistake Racing is flying ATM
I think it is a great initiative to offer health care workers in acknowledging their special roles in all this and to offer normal supporters to quarantine themselves and prove it before being allowed in
Again all this is only some insurance if crowds are still restricted to one of the games biggest earners.
Sounds good outside of the box thinking and foresoght and smart business sense to me

Dont get what your gripe still is about a smart sports administartor coming up with ideas and implementing them to get their business up and running and employing and paying many..not just the high end of town
And before you say it it is with govt sanction and approval including the health experts...otherwise nothing would happen.
You think it smart business and I think it is a complete farce and grandstanding.

Exactly which health care workers are we talking about here? All of them from every state and if not why not as after all the article says they are doing it for “them”?

So does that mean that the NRL is going to get all the workers to come from all over Australia and pay their fares and associated costs or does it mean only those that are living close to the proposed venue?

Who is going to relieve them from their vital jobs while they “all” go to the footy or has the NRL decided that the emergency will all be over by then?

If the health care workers said sorry we can’t make it as we are all a tad busy saving lives do you think the NRL would cancel it lol?

Playing SOO for “them” is a sentimental crock of shit to gain public sympathy and if there was any credibility as I said before they would play for nothing and donate all their match payments and do you think there is any chance of that?

If as reported by the SMH the players get $30,000 / SOO that would equate to
$30,000 x 34 x 3 = $3,060,000 and that doesn’t allow for coaches or ref payments

A SOO series reportedly pulls in $100m for the NRL and they are going to give up a few free seats but doing it all for the “health workers” FMD they should have just said nothing and what they did say is simply farcical and self serving.

Crush

Coach
Is that on the podcast?
Would like to see 2015, when the hailstorm hit.
That was a great win.
Yes I remember that game, it was bizarre as the storm knocked out my satellite.
Yesterday FOX played 2005, 2012, 2017 games of SGI vs EASTS.
05 was ranked number 1 of all time Anzac clashes but after watching them all 2012 was probably the best. 05 was a mistake-athon.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, I repeat that I'm not a fan of the NRL kick starting games again whilst cases of COVID and deaths of oeopke are still happening. To try and predict how things will be in 5 or 6 weeks time is fraught with danger.

Secondly, 'the virus' gas effectively exposed 'the virus' that was endemic within the NRL, especially where 'funds' are concerned. One high profile exec has already gone.

Thirdly, the frailty that is the NRL's financial position is now clearly evident and the rush to restart is a direct result of that. Self-serving? Perhaps, however, without a restart and a renegotiated media package, the is/was a very real possibility of the entire collapse of the NRL, which ultimately would see the collapse of clubs, junior comps and even and even grass roots football. Imagine an inverted pyramid, the NRL the apex, delicatly balancing the game of rugby league in Australia. If it cracks and crumbles, everything else will come crashing down.

Therefore, it appears the game has to start, if only to remain as a viable entity. Foolish or foolhardy, yes, but the alternative of extinction is very real. We have ti look at not just now, but future seasons as well.

V'Landys is a good operator, but hes been here 5 mins, lets see if he can steer this ship out if the fog it's currently enveloped in before reverting to self preservation assumprions.

TruSaint

Referee
Firstly, I repeat that I'm not a fan of the NRL kick starting games again whilst cases of COVID and deaths of oeopke are still happening. To try and predict how things will be in 5 or 6 weeks time is fraught with danger.

Secondly, 'the virus' gas effectively exposed 'the virus' that was endemic within the NRL, especially where 'funds' are concerned. One high profile exec has already gone.

Thirdly, the frailty that is the NRL's financial position is now clearly evident and the rush to restart is a direct result of that. Self-serving? Perhaps, however, without a restart and a renegotiated media package, the is/was a very real possibility of the entire collapse of the NRL, which ultimately would see the collapse of clubs, junior comps and even and even grass roots football. Imagine an inverted pyramid, the NRL the apex, delicatly balancing the game of rugby league in Australia. If it cracks and crumbles, everything else will come crashing down.

Therefore, it appears the game has to start, if only to remain as a viable entity. Foolish or foolhardy, yes, but the alternative of extinction is very real. We have ti look at not just now, but future seasons as well.

V'Landys is a good operator, but hes been here 5 mins, lets see if he can steer this ship out if the fog it's currently enveloped in before reverting to self preservation assumprions.

Balanced post mate, but cant agree that survival of the code is dependant on a restart. In fact under the current conditions the media partners will squeeze the fook out of the NRL, a deal that the code will have to live with for years. That will have a real impact on the game.

Having little leverage financially now, we may end up with a long term agreement based on assumptions relating to Covid19. Once signed off on, that deal is there for the tenure of the agreement. Fox / 9 whoever, will not willfully pay the NRL more whenever some semblance of normality resumes.

In addition, if the game resumes and God forbid there is an outbreak leading to suppliers, trainers, contractors, family members, etc contracting the disease then the NRL may well find itself back in court.

Latest posts