What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the next NRL CEO?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Good riddance to the damn blighter . The bloke should never had been given the reins of power in the first place - more so after his time at the Bulldogs. One could see his attitude towards the game in general when he orchestrated Des Hazler to break his contract with Manly to join his bullythugs. I must say that I actually felt sorry for Manly ( for the very first time in over 50 years ) for the way they had their coach , whom was still under contract , taken from them .

That set the tone for others to break their ‘ iron-clad ‘ contracts with their respective clubs. I would like to know just how much money was wasted by him and his pack of cronies from the 1 Billion that was paid to the NRL by the Tele. stations . By the sounds of it it is all but gone - the mongrel probably even put some of it aside for a big farewell party to be thrown in his honor .

Good riddance to him and rant over ! :rage:

More power to your elbow Gareth- Greenberg was an expensive mistake (what is his payout- anyone know?).
IMO, we need two people- each on lesser money than Greenberg was - to do this job. Simply because it is just too hard to find all the qualities you need in one person. The CEO should be the corporate guy with a strong financial background, an understanding of emerging technologies that may impact on the game, negotiation and marketing skills etc who can deal with the key stakeholders like Fox and 9,

The second position reporting to the CEO should be a General Manager of Football. This is the guy who has played the game, understands the tribalism of the game, the way that clubs work, the importance of bush football, junior rep and feeder competitions and the funding they need and most importantly has the respect and the ears of club CEOs (which Greenberg apparently never had).

My nomination for the GM job would be someone like Graeme Hughes- has been a top level player, has worked for Rothmans in a corporate environment but more recently in the Media, has listened on his radio show Talkin Sport to the problems the game has for many years, is a smart guy but has the "common touch".

Gareth67

First Grade
More power to your elbow Gareth- Greenberg was an expensive mistake (what is his payout- anyone know?).
IMO, we need two people- each on lesser money than Greenberg was - to do this job. Simply because it is just too hard to find all the qualities you need in one person. The CEO should be the corporate guy with a strong financial background, an understanding of emerging technologies that may impact on the game, negotiation and marketing skills etc who can deal with the key stakeholders like Fox and 9,

The second position reporting to the CEO should be a General Manager of Football. This is the guy who has played the game, understands the tribalism of the game, the way that clubs work, the importance of bush football, junior rep and feeder competitions and the funding they need and most importantly has the respect and the ears of club CEOs (which Greenberg apparently never had).

My nomination for the GM job would be someone like Graeme Hughes- has been a top level player, has worked for Rothmans in a corporate environment but more recently in the Media, has listened on his radio show Talkin Sport to the problems the game has for many years, is a smart guy but has the "common touch".

Well spoken redandwhite4evr , agree with you on all counts . A smart cookie who not only knows the ins and outs of the game , but also a man who is able to listen to any advice , as regardless of who may give it it could be of immense value if used correctly.

Dragon David

First Grade

Having two, being CEO and GM, is a good idea redandwhite4evr. It will be interesting to see if this is introduced and who the guys might be provided of course the cost to have two is less than the salary Greenberg was on.

Gareth67

First Grade
There would not be a place for Ms Castle in the NRL now and I am certain of this. Why have someone who made a mess at the Bulldogs and the ARL in the NRL when we need personnel with better vision than what she oversaw in her career.

Perhaps she could find gainful employment at Grace Brothers alongside Mrs. Slogan ?

However the woman has indeed not been able to do the job expected of her in such prominent roles in those various codes of football . But I don’t place all the blame upon her shoulders , but the fools who placed her in such pressure- cooker positions without the true grounding that others had - such as former rugby league / Aussie rule players .

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Perhaps she could find gainful employment at Grace Brothers alongside Mrs. Slogan ?

However the woman has indeed not been able to do the job expected of her in such prominent roles in those various codes of football . But I don’t place all the blame upon her shoulders , but the fools who placed her in such pressure- cooker positions without the true grounding that others had - such as former rugby league / Aussie rule players .

Thats why I am over the Mary bashing Gareth.

Whilst he is clearly incompetent, those above him a.) employed him and b.) extended his contract.

Dragon David

First Grade
Can’t agree with the suggestion re Graeme Hughes. Arrogant, never lets a grudge go and he HATES Saints. If you listened closely to his radio show he jumped on any opportunity to kick us. No for me.
Wittenberg, I totally agree with what you say about Talkin' Sports' Graeme Hughes. He definitely is not a Dragons fan and likes to kick us when we are down. He is too arrogant and loves himself to death to be anywhere near being involved with the NRL Head Office.