What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Peter Quinn

Juniors
From the Daily Telegraph,

Wayne Bennett is stubborn and hates being proven wrong. But the supercoach is set to swallow his pride and succumb to public pressure come May 28. PLUS the Roosters-Rabbitohs rivalry going soft.

SAM SITS IN
RETIRED Rabbitohs superstar and Fox Sports commentator Sam Burgess is so highly regarded by NRL executives that he has been invited to sit in on Project Apollo meetings at Moore Park headquarters. Alongside RLPA boss Clint Newton, Burgess has offered useful advice about playerrelated issues in the countdown to the resumption of play on May 28.

SORRY, WAYNE
Wayne Bennett is stubborn and hates being proven wrong.
Yet we’re told the old supercoach is about to abandon the failed experiment of playing Latrell Mitchell at fullback at the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Sources at Redfern are telling us Latrell will return to the centres when the Rabbitohs resume their premiership campaign, hopefully on May 28 against his old club the Sydney Roosters.
Latrell struggled in the first two rounds with lack of fitness to cover the extra ground that is required of fullbacks in attack and defence.
Bennett, we are told, has not given up on Latrell wearing the No.1 jersey later in the year but wants him to get more match fitness.
This story will be denied. Just like Bennett did when we broke the news in this column of Souths signing James Roberts and Latrell last year.
Rest assured it will happen. It will be Latrell in the centres and Alex Johnston at fullback.

SNAPPING UP THE TALENT
BRAITH Anasta has signed up his first talent as a rugby league player manager.
Lachlan Ilias, 19, is a former Australian Schoolboys rugby union star and a backline utility at South Sydney. He’s also played in Australia’s Youth Sevens team.
The youngster has played league for NSW under-16s as well and Anasta is in talks with the Rabbitohs about Ilias’s future at Redfern.
There is also talk of Melbourne Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr being keen to join Anasta’s stable.
Addo-Carr had a falling out with his agent Gavin Orr before Orr was banned for two years by the NRL integrity unit.

SINNERS
One of the great things about rugby league is the camaraderie and mateship that team sport builds. There are, however, exceptions like the fact we love the Roosters and Rabbitohs rivalry and a century of hate. That’s why it looked so ordinary when Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett turned up together at NRL headquarters during the week for a Project Apollo meeting. Robbo even drove the old bloke to Moore Park. Hopefully hostilities will resume in the build-up to their next game.

SINNER II
There have been some outrageously ridiculous suggestions about potential CEO replacements for Todd Greenberg. The silliest was Russell Crowe pushing his mate Shane Richardson, who famously spent 12 months at the NRL in 2015 and achieved nothing. Also, this idea about Phil Gould … the last thing the NRL needs is one of Gus’s five-year plans.

SPOTTED
South Sydney Rabbitohs skipper Adam Reynolds and Maroons Origin star Dane Gagai getting out of the house for a game of golf at Eastlake.

SPOTTED
Braith Anasta and Sam Burgess playing at The Coast golf club. Burgess got the chocolates, too. He has reduced his handicap from 12 to 8 since retiring and spending more time on his swing.

SAINT
The appointment of commercial boss Andrew Abdo as a caretaker chief executive of the NRL. This guy is a bright, creative and big-picture thinker who deserves an opportunity under Peter V’landys.

SPOTTED
Referees boss Bernard Sutton has had to get a job at Woolworths at Seven Hills while the NRL competition has been in lockdown. He works from 7pm to midnight unloading trucks. Sutton has a big family to look after – his wife and four children aged 9, 7, 4 and 1.
“It’s been a good dose of reality to see how other people work on a day-to-day basis,” he said, “And it’s been good working around people who love their footy.”

SPOTTED
Racing NSW and rugby league boss Peter V’landys leaving Woolworths in Pitt Street with a box of breakfast cereal on Tuesday.

SPOTTED
Former NRL and soccer boss David Gallop reaching out to Todd Greenberg via a friendly text message on Monday, the day he was sacked as NRL chief executive.

SPOTTED
Wallaby skipper and fitness fanatic Michael Hooper training on his own at Manly Oval on Thursday morning despite the disappointment of his salary dropping from $1.2 million to less than $500,000.

SPOTTED
Players Union boss Clint Newton training at Avoca Beach on the Central Coast on Tuesday afternoon.

SHOOSH
Who was the high-flying NRL official doing his resume last week to look for a new job amid fears he would become a casualty of cost-cutting at head office.

BELLYACHE’S NAS SUPPORT
Craig Bellamy has thrown his support behind towering forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona wanting to combine footy with boxing.
“I’ve got no issue with it at all as long as it doesn’t interfere with his football,” Bellamy said. “He did boxing as a kid, he likes it, and I think it’s actually a good thing for him. He’s pretty handy at it, too, which helps.”
We wrote in this column late last year that promoter Matt Rose would offer Asofa-Solomona an opportunity in the ring after video footage went viral of him fighting like a thrashing machine in a brawl outside a Bali nightclub.
The plan is for the Storm giant to take on former Manly and Eels prop Darcy Lussick, who spectacularly knocked out Justin Hodges in 39 seconds in his professional debut last December.
I don't hold any faith in that press release whatsoever. Known for making things up.

Peter Quinn

Juniors
There's nothing in the JAC Mitchell crap. Josh was up there in February and it could be he's stiring the media up again. Apart from that, thousands are shoulder to shoulder on Manly and Bondi pretending to be exercising everyday. And Coles Bondi Jct, Maroubra and Pagewood are terrible as there's thousands in there together everyday all day.

southsport

First Grade
There's nothing in the JAC Mitchell crap. Josh was up there in February and it could be he's stiring the media up again. Apart from that, thousands are shoulder to shoulder on Manly and Bondi pretending to be exercising everyday. And Coles Bondi Jct, Maroubra and Pagewood are terrible as there's thousands in there together everyday all day.
An old pic posted online, I would love this to be the case so Rothfield would have egg on his face. :D

callmack1

Staff member
Statement Regarding Latrell Mitchell: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/04/27/statement-regarding-latrell-mitchell/

'Unacceptable' - NRL reprimands Addo-Carr, Mitchell, Roberts-Davis: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/27/unacceptable-nrl-reprimands-addo-carr-mitchell-roberts-davis/

Game slams ‘selfish’ players for flouting rules after NRL’s tireless bid to return: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/10113c906e38042ed9c4e3fc6ad7cc33

Josh Addo-Carr defends camping trip with Latrell as ‘cultural gathering’ as NRL slams breach: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/37534a516fdf690adbbbf26a1f2f46b4

Blog with Hoops - Latrell, Addo-Carr jam ‘zero-tolerance’ NRL into a corner. Now they must respond: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/c6b9ff03a8979fd8647856f5ca87f0c8

Travitoh

First Grade

Completely missed the point of the situation.

It has been blown out of proportion to an extent but it's stupidity from the players.

callmack1

Staff member
Addo-Carr, Latrell fined by police after 'unacceptable' social distancing breach: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/04/27/unacceptable-nrl-reprimands-addo-carr-mitchell-roberts-davis/

Latrell explains social distancing slip-up: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/04/27/latrell-explains-social-distancing-slip-up/

Players boss claims he ‘accidentally’ liked photo in embarrassing blunder: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/pl...r/news-story/f78763ddd3112d7f929397daab4c6ee3

‘Can’t turn the boys down’ - Latrell Mitchell and Josh Addo-Carr respond to camping ‘slip-up’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ca...p/news-story/ae222da77524b06677780c0ff50cf287

‘Absolutely kidding’ - League world urges V’landys to ‘come down hard’ on disgraced duo: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/10113c906e38042ed9c4e3fc6ad7cc33

Police probe Addo-Carr’s firearm use as Latrell and Storm star hit with camping trip fines: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/37534a516fdf690adbbbf26a1f2f46b4

‘Spot the difference’ - Latrell Mitchell shares double standards claim after camp breach: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/add388166f5efd0d9b33fd4779bf6f32

callmack1

Staff member
Gould calls for year-long bans for Mitchell, Addo-Carr as Kent blasts ‘culture card’ excuses: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/195d9a00d0692ee9f985d229edf49686

I think a Season long suspension would be a bit harsh but I agree that they should be suspended for a few weeks.

Firstly, I just want to say I'm a massive supporter of Latrell's and as a Souths tragic, I love him. However, this is one of those situations where you just can't defend someone's actions, no matter how much you like them. Hurts me to say that but it's sadly true.

After further developments and having a while to think about it, it's not so much the act of breaking the rules that disappoints me, it's Latrell's reaction to it. Obviously the act of breaking the social distancing rules is really bad and inexcusable but as I say, it's the way Latrell has reacted which has really disappointed me. His apology video isn't the best in my opinion. Yes, he has acknowledged his mistake but I feel he hasn't really taken full responsibility of it. He's made the excuse that his mates were struggling and it was a 'cultural gathering.' Under normal circumstances, that'd be an awesome thing to do but in this current climate, there are no excuses. The virus doesn't discriminate and your culture doesn't make you exempt from the rules. It's not racist to say that, it's just being realistic. For me, I'm just really disappointed Latrell didn't come out and say "yep, I made a mistake, I fully own it, I was stupid, I was wrong and I take full responsibility for that. I will learn from this and it will not happen again. I'm just disappointed he hasn't fully owned it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Gould calls for year-long bans for Mitchell, Addo-Carr as Kent blasts ‘culture card’ excuses: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/195d9a00d0692ee9f985d229edf49686

I think a Season long suspension would be a bit harsh but I agree that they should be suspended for a few weeks.

Firstly, I just want to say I'm a massive supporter of Latrell's and as a Souths tragic, I love him. However, this is one of those situations where you just can't defend someone's actions, no matter how much you like them. Hurts me to say that but it's sadly true.

After further developments and having a while to think about it, it's not so much the act of breaking the rules that disappoints me, it's Latrell's reaction to it. Obviously the act of breaking the social distancing rules is really bad and inexcusable but as I say, it's the way Latrell has reacted which has really disappointed me. His apology video isn't the best in my opinion. Yes, he has acknowledged his mistake but I feel he hasn't really taken full responsibility of it. He's made the excuse that his mates were struggling and it was a 'cultural gathering.' Under normal circumstances, that'd be an awesome thing to do but in this current climate, there are no excuses. The virus doesn't discriminate and your culture doesn't make you exempt from the rules. It's not racist to say that, it's just being realistic. For me, I'm just really disappointed Latrell didn't come out and say "yep, I made a mistake, I fully own it, I was stupid, I was wrong and I take full responsibility for that. I will learn from this and it will not happen again. I'm just disappointed he hasn't fully owned it.
The NRL is trying to get up and running again and the state of our game right now is in crisis mode. Then you have halfwits acting like this. I want to see family too and I cannot see my relatives but I won’t break the law and act like a petulant little child over it......

Playing the race card here is unacceptable. He needs to man up and show some maturity and common sense. Doesn’t wash with me.

As the day has gone on I have become more angry about this.

Pointing the finger at others rather than taking ownership at such a time is cowardly.

They have let down the whole NRL community. In fact they’ve put the game potentially in jeopardy of starting on May 28.

In fact Southy I’m sorry but I have to disagree on this one with you and where you stand.

He can piss off out of fullback even when he’s back. If Latrell keeps this behaviour up he needs to be told keep it up you’ll be sacked. So much talent but too much immaturity and stupidity.

Give AJ the 1 and let him keep it for mine, he does us proud.

We have many many people who can’t even attend a family funeral right now.

Frederick

Staff member
Put it this way, if Latrell is suspended, he has a hell of a lot of making up to do once he returns to the field.
Given his two "efforts" for you this year, you guys would be much better off if he was given a lifetime ban

Peter Quinn

Juniors
If he's suspended, that's a double punishment. He didn't assault a female or rob a bank, just breaching very new distancing laws. Funny how things always fall in favour of the Roosters to matter what it is, they come out on top.

Travitoh

First Grade

100%. It's childish the way he's trying to deflect the blame.

Season long bans are over the top. They should be heavily punished financially by both the NRL and the government.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
We will see, now that cleary has been caught, what if any uproar from certain media types or fines if any he will incur.
I tend to think latrell is the nrl whipping boy and much of what he cops borders on discrimination and jelousy, cant they just leave him alone.

Travitoh

First Grade
We will see, now that cleary has been caught, what if any uproar from certain media types or fines if any he will incur.
I tend to think latrell is the nrl whipping boy and much of what he cops borders on discrimination and jelousy, cant they just leave him alone.

The difference between the two will be Cleary releasing a statement apologising for his actions and a feeling of remorse. From the media's point of view, this will be enough, like JAC.

Latrell has come out and tried to turn it solely into a race issue, not understanding the fact that he is a face of the NRL and anything he does reflects on the league and it's employees. It's this lack of professionalism that is why i have my doubts that he'll be a success.

The media is borderline obsessive with him, i agree but in this case he has only poured fuel onto an already raging fire.

southsport

First Grade
Gould's gone softer on Cleary, what a racist jerk he is!

7328e58f0f4180e78e21bbd8df28cd2a68f9755d.jpeg