What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moses Suli

boardlumps62

Juniors
Can we change the thread to Wankers Only. You know I'm thinking I'm in the same Bar as Dennis Preston and Stan Gorton but it's the Covid-19 that's affecting you and me. Please

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I seem to remember that Kevin Gibson played for us at 17-18 and got bashed by the great South's pack. He then played for the Sharks and then returned to the Dragons.

Old Timer

Coach
I seem to remember that Kevin Gibson played for us at 17-18 and got bashed by the great South's pack. He then played for the Sharks and then returned to the Dragons.
Bashed and brutalised in a savage match
Souths bashed unmercifully which was just the way of it back then
K G had the makings of an Artie Beetson but was put unit 1st grade just a bit too early and despite his size his body had not matured or hardened.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think we need to snap up a solid winger. If we get Suli all good but I’m happy with Wiliame at left centre. Lomax is signed long term and to me is too good to play wing, where does it leave him? Personally if we got Suli and a new coach my backline would be;
1.Lomax
2.New winger
3.Wiliame
4.Suli
5.Ramsey
6.Hunt
7.Clune
Im happy with the Feagai bro’s and Rava as backup. I would mould Ramsey as long term fullback and eventually groom Lomax as 5/8. He has a good passing game, massive boot, has won games for NSW with field goals and is a big body ala Wighton. On top of this is a superb goal kicker. I could see a spine in 3-4 years of Sullivan, Lomax, Ramsey and a 29-30 year old McInnes as being pretty deadly under the right coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
One of the very worst incidents that I witnessed was back in 1968 (?) when Apisai Toga was kicked in the head by the South Sydney prop Dennis Lee just as he had scored a try .

Even my mate was horrified by the viciousness of it ( and he was a die-in-the wool rabbitoh supporter ) . I remember Ron Coote having a go at Lee for what he had done , it was truly appalling and we were standing right at the SCG try-line behind the fence .

I believe what was perhaps worst , if possible was the fact that big Apisai although a big man was also a gentle giant whom was known for his ball playing skills and a very neat step for such a large man , but as another member said earlier the South’s pack were reknown for their dirty play in those years . In fact about the only clean forward that Souths had and never engaged in the violence was the great Ron Coote .

I do know that today’s back street merchants would not had too much of a chance against the likes of the bar-room brawlers of the 50’s & 60’s .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
I think we need to snap up a solid winger. If we get Suli all good but I’m happy with Wiliame at left centre. Lomax is signed long term and to me is too good to play wing, where does it leave him? Personally if we got Suli and a new coach my backline would be;
1.Lomax
2.New winger
3.Wiliame
4.Suli
5.Ramsey
6.Hunt
7.Clune
Im happy with the Feagai bro’s and Rava as backup. I would mould Ramsey as long term fullback and eventually groom Lomax as 5/8. He has a good passing game, massive boot, has won games for NSW with field goals and is a big body ala Wighton. On top of this is a superb goal kicker. I could see a spine in 3-4 years of Sullivan, Lomax, Ramsey and a 29-30 year old McInnes as being pretty deadly under the right coach.

what about Saab ?

1.Ramsey
2.Saab
3.Wiliame
4.Lomax
5.Sailor/Ravalawa
6.Hunt
7.Clune

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
One of the very worst incidents that I witnessed was back in 1968 (?) when Apisai Toga was kicked in the head by the South Sydney prop Dennis Lee just as he had scored a try .

Even my mate was horrified by the viciousness of it ( and he was a die-in-the wool rabbitoh supporter ) . I remember Ron Coote having a go at Lee for what he had done , it was truly appalling and we were standing right at the SCG try-line behind the fence .

I believe what was perhaps worst , if possible was the fact that big Apisai although a big man was also a gentle giant whom was known for his ball playing skills and a very neat step for such a large man , but as another member said earlier the South’s pack were reknown for their dirty play in those years . In fact about the only clean forward that Souths had and never engaged in the violence was the great Ron Coote .

I do know that today’s back street merchants would not had too much of a chance against the likes of the bar-room brawlers of the 50’s & 60’s .

I remember a great bulldozing try of his beside the left goalpost.
Huge hands reached over the line from the middle of what seemed an impossible position.
He began the islander influx in some respects.
Cut his foot on barbed wire in Fiji and tragically died of tetanus aged 27 RIP

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I like that 1-7 a lot.
Another option would be to play Fuimona in the centres as well. I like the idea if having big powerful centres these days.
My side was with the caveat that Suli was purchased though, who is also a big powerhouse. Most importantly a good coach though. I think a good coach will get the best from Lomax, Saab and Ramsey. If that is the side we run with there is no point buying Suli and we should spend our coin elsewhere maybe on a good prop if one is available.

Crush

Coach
My side was with the caveat that Suli was purchased though, who is also a big powerhouse. Most importantly a good coach though. I think a good coach will get the best from Lomax, Saab and Ramsey. If that is the side we run with there is no point buying Suli and we should spend our coin elsewhere maybe on a good prop if one is available.
I'm not sold on Lomax yet. 6 years? He's looked shakey.
A new coach is needed asap.

Old Timer

Coach
Huge hands reached over the line from the middle of what seemed an impossible position.
Saw Apisai make his debut against Canterbury at Belmore in a pre season game.
He looked like giant in the big red V and his dark colouring was such a vivid contrast to the pencil white jersey and his pale legged team mates. It was an iconic moment when he ran out to the cheers of the crowd.
I still remember him getting the ball in the middle of the paddock and throwing a perfect bullet like grid iron pass out to the winger. The ball looked tiny in his hands.
Poor old Changa had to miss a game to go to Fiji as the clubs representative for Apisai's funeral. Changa was devastated at his loss and he was given almost chief like status whilst he was in Fiji and Changa was always well regarded for being there.

Gareth67

First Grade

I was on my way to work with the 6am news beginning on the car radio and that was when the story broke . I could not believe it , I felt so sorry for the man .

To think that he went in that way , tetanus was simply unbelievable. He had given so many great memories to not only Dragon fans over the years but I believe to the majority of rugby league fans , especially when he got those big legs of his pumping and as you have said Linespeed , those huge , huge hands .

A sad day when they lost Apisai Toga , the gentle giant. :innocent:

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
If not
I was on my way to work as an apprentice and with the 6am news beginning on the car radio and that broke the story . I could not believe it , I felt so sorry for the man .

To think that he went in that way , tetanus was simply unbelievable. He had given so many great memories to not only Dragon fans over the years but I believe to the majority of rugby league fans , especially when he got those big legs of his pumping and as you have said Linespeed , those huge , huge hands .

A sad day when they lost Apisai Toga , the gentle giant. :innocent:
If not mistaken the big guy was petrified of needles and refused to have the tetanus injection.
It may we’ll have been barbed wire but somehow I have a recollection if a cut foot from walking / slipping on oysters but could well be mistaken.
Apisai always made me think he could have been the guy with big drum and dressed in the lion skin in the Fiji military band.

possm

Coach
I like that 1-7 a lot.
Another option would be to play Fuimona in the centres as well. I like the idea if having big powerful centres these days.
At this stage, I would go for:

1. Lomax
2. Ramsey
3. Suli
4. Williame
5. Saab
6. Hunt
7. Norman or Clune

Frizell replaced by D Fifita

denis preston

First Grade
Saw Apisai make his debut against Canterbury at Belmore in a pre season game.
He looked like giant in the big red V and his dark colouring was such a vivid contrast to the pencil white jersey and his pale legged team mates. It was an iconic moment when he ran out to the cheers of the crowd.
I still remember him getting the ball in the middle of the paddock and throwing a perfect bullet like grid iron pass out to the winger. The ball looked tiny in his hands.
Poor old Changa had to miss a game to go to Fiji as the clubs representative for Apisai's funeral. Changa was devastated at his loss and he was given almost chief like status whilst he was in Fiji and Changa was always well regarded for being there.
Yes it was at Jubilee when he threw that gridiron pass , the whole crowd just gasped and then laughed when it hit the outside back right in the breadbasket.Good old appleslices.

Gareth67

First Grade
If not

If not mistaken the big guy was petrified of needles and refused to have the tetanus injection.
It may we’ll have been barbed wire but somehow I have a recollection if a cut foot from walking / slipping on oysters but could well be mistaken.
Apisai always made me think he could have been the guy with big drum and dressed in the lion skin in the Fiji military band.

Yes he does indeed conjure up images of the famous Fijian policeman .

He was a wonderful player and I recall when they signed his younger brother Inosi , who played mainly reserve grade but occasionally joined his big brother in 1sts . Their parents must had been very proud of them on the day that they played their first top grade game together for the mighty Saints .