What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

matPORTS

Juniors
The Nathan Cleary Uber Story never added up, given he was smiling for the camera in the IG posts. Now a TikTok video collapses the story completely.

In other news, AFL players in WA allegedly in breach of COVID-19 restrictions after attending a wild house party. Breaches cross-code will also have a potential affect on a May 28 restart for the NRL.

Dragon David

First Grade
Now it's the players pay deal problem that is another roadblock.
Obviously as the NRL and Broadcasters have not agreed on financials/funding etc, payment monies for the players cannot be presented to the RLPA and passed on to the players and then to be negotiated. Indeed this is another roadblock/hurdle to jump over before training start date and competition start dates can be properly promulgated to all and sundry.

It's all very well and nice for them to say, these are the dates for start and finish dates to get peoples hopes up, but there are a lot more issues to be resolved - a lot more, so I cannot see the competition starting on 28 May which throws out everything. It is becoming a too hard basket case in my opinion. Ol' Toddy boy is sitting back now having a good old chuckle to himself.

hazzbeen

Bench
Obviously as the NRL and Broadcasters have not agreed on financials/funding etc, payment monies for the players cannot be presented to the RLPA and passed on to the players and then to be negotiated. Indeed this is another roadblock/hurdle to jump over before training start date and competition start dates can be properly promulgated to all and sundry.

It's all very well and nice for them to say, these are the dates for start and finish dates to get peoples hopes up, but there are a lot more issues to be resolved - a lot more, so I cannot see the competition starting on 28 May which throws out everything. It is becoming a too hard basket case in my opinion. Ol' Toddy boy is sitting back now having a good old chuckle to himself.
I really don't care if its happens or not .... But if it doesn't does that mean Mary gets to stay on another year .... ?

Old Timer

Coach
What an arrogant bunch of schmucks the RL administration really are.
They announce a date and advertise it (surely at a considerable cost) and we find out the following
  1. Fed Govt not a done deal
  2. RLPA not a done deal
  3. Clubs and players still waiting on further information critical to decision making
  4. Warriors barely in the loop and still lacking vital intel
  5. Players destroying any credibility they had of their ability to comply with mandatory rules
  6. NRL showing that they are anything other than fearless when the shit hits the fan
Then to tip that all off a news article says
SOO “legend” Ben Ikin says bla bla bla

FMD they love talking it up but the Ikin comment says it all for me. He is without a doubt the Andrew Hilditch of Australian Rugby League.

Dragon David

First Grade
I really don't care if its happens or not .... But if it doesn't does that mean Mary gets to stay on another year .... ?
That would be a nasty problem for us all and the Sack Mary thread will continue unabated. Hopefully, Linespeed's calling for the Waterboy to be punted gets to reach the new CEO who will do something about it.

A nice fresh start without Mary will make us all feel good 1000%.

Dragon David

First Grade
They announce a date and advertise it (surely at a considerable cost) and we find out the following
  2. RLPA not a done deal
  3. Clubs and players still waiting on further information critical to decision making
  5. Players destroying any credibility they had of their ability to comply with mandatory rules
  6. NRL showing that they are anything other than fearless when the shit hits the fan

FMD they love talking it up but the Ikin comment says it all for me. He is without a doubt the Andrew Hilditch of Australian Rugby League.
As I said, there are still many issues to be sorted out and you have named a lot of them. The resultant headaches will be a constant reminder of the dramas this COVID-19 has done to all sports and those who follow them. Bloody thing!

Banjo2014

Juniors
If they don't want to play try this:-

The Replacements

The Replacements is a 2000 American sports comedy film directed by Howard Deutch. It stars Keanu Reeves, Gene Hackman, Brooke Langton, Jon Favreau and Jack Warden in what would be his last film appearance

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
  2. RLPA not a done deal

I think it’s a smart move.

Putting time pressure upon the opposing party to make a decision is a classic negotiation trick.

If you don’t reply to this post by 4pm it clearly shows I’m right.

giboz71

First Grade
  2. RLPA not a done deal

Who needs details. Just start playing, close your eyes and hope for the best.

It's not like govt, the broadcasters and the players are important right?

BLM01

First Grade
Who needs details. Just start playing, close your eyes and hope for the best.

It's not like govt, the broadcasters and the players are important right?
Gday OT..can you review your 6 findings on Monday morning for me...if not tomorrow PM..except No 5 which is a given
By the way. The NRL has said the comp can and will continue with or without the Warriors.
The players will want the money too much and will decide on playing over boycotting.

BLM01

First Grade

May 28...cant wait.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

And even if Vlandy's pulls this off and gets all parties in agreement, we are still faced with the "weakest link" scenario- are we really expecting over 500 athletes to live a monastic life for the next six months or so without transgressing social distancing and other restrictions?- we aren't going to see some midnight creeping instead of midnight sleeping? - the lure of sex drugs and rock n roll will be too much for some and if one or more tests positive to Covid 19, they could bring the whole show crashing down..

Dragon David

First Grade
And even if Vlandy's pulls this off and gets all parties in agreement, we are still faced with the "weakest link" scenario- are we really expecting over 500 athletes to live a monastic life for the next six months or so without transgressing social distancing and other restrictions?- we aren't going to see some midnight creeping instead of midnight sleeping? - the lure of sex drugs and rock n roll will be too much for some and if one or more tests positive to Covid 19, they could bring the whole show crashing down..

It will be tough for most of the people involved when they go into "hibernation" after their training and game days. It is a way of life thing for these guys to want to do things rather than being cooped up for weeks at a time.

Those who have dependent partners and not working can keep the guys company, if of course accommodation is provided for them. Difficult if they have kids, especially the ones needing schooling - I guess they can be home schooled. But the guys who have wives/partners who have jobs and cannot be with them at the accommodation could be a killer of spirits.

It will be the price that they will have to pay to play the games.

But as you say redandwhiteevr, if somehow one or more tests positive to COVID-19 then the whole competition could come crashing down.

Dragon David

First Grade
It will be tough for most of the people involved when they go into "hibernation" after their training and game days. It is a way of life thing for these guys to want to do things rather than being cooped up for weeks at a time.

Those who have dependent partners and not working can keep the guys company, if of course accommodation is provided for them. Difficult if they have kids, especially the ones needing schooling - I guess they can be home schooled. But the guys who have wives/partners who have jobs and cannot be with them at the accommodation could be a killer of spirits.

It will be the price that they will have to pay to play the games.

But as you say redandwhiteevr, if somehow one or more tests positive to COVID-19 then the whole competition could come crashing down.
James Graham is another player advocating to boycott the start of training and I guess he has several good reasons for it. It is not only the payments but he wants to see a list of assurances provide to them so that each point can be signed off after each one is agreed to which is fair enough in my opinion.
In a way, he doesn't want the players to just jump into the deep end without knowing what is in the waters so to speak and there are a number of issues that need putting in writing for the players to discuss and agree on.

The money side of things is only part of the dilemma and what he raises in the Foxsports news is worth reading.

Old Timer

Coach
Gday OT..can you review your 6 findings on Monday morning for me...if not tomorrow PM..except No 5 which is a given
By the way. The NRL has said the comp can and will continue with or without the Warriors.
The players will want the money too much and will decide on playing over boycotting.
As more info comes to hand I’ll be more than happy to review.
Ultimately if Cam Smith and the like back the Warriors position then V’Landy may well be proven incorrect.

stryker

First Grade
I think it’s a smart move.

Putting time pressure upon the opposing party to make a decision is a classic negotiation trick.

If you don’t reply to this post by 4pm it clearly shows I’m right.
Builders use it constantly. The game I love playing with them when they do this is calling their bluff. The majority who negotiate this way are usually all bluster. They are never holding a good enough hand to win.

Case in point the NRL The chance that they could pull this off is very small. The biggest risk is their f**ken idiot players. You wouldnt trust 98% of them.

Gareth67

First Grade
The comments above show just how fragile- truly fragile this new competition will be .
Very similar to a house of cards that will come crashing down should one , only one party test positive at any stage .

The players will need to resist all temptations that shall eventually present themselves to them whilst in ‘confinement’ as that will basically be the type of lifestyle they will living .

And as both Red&White 4 ever and Dragon David have both said already , the biggest obstacle in their path will undoubtedly be their families or for some covert nocturnal activity .

Here’s hoping that this virus has finally run its course by the beginning of the new season , whenever that may be and that these Draconian measures are no longer required .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
The comments above show just how fragile- truly fragile this new competition will be .
Very similar to a house of cards that will come crashing down should one , only one party test positive at any stage .

The players will need to resist all temptations that shall eventually present themselves to them whilst in ‘confinement’ as that will basically be the type of lifestyle they will living .

And as both Red&White 4 ever and Dragon David have both said already , the biggest obstacle in their path will undoubtedly be their families or for some covert nocturnal activity .

Here’s hoping that this virus has finally run its course by the beginning of the new season , whenever that may be and that these Draconian measures are no longer required .
I’d say lifesaving and risk minimising rather than draconian.
The issue is that those that think they are draconian measures will be the ones willing to break them.

Latest posts