What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

He Can Play For... Wales!

yakstorm

First Grade
Yes, 31 of them are born in Wales. Pretty good considering.

It's exceptional, especially as only the likes of England, Australia, New Zealand, France, Fiji and PNG could do better.

On the surface, it would seem encouraging to see 14 of them with NRL or Super League clubs, however it is questionable if Wales could ever get the 'bigger' players to kit up for the Dragons.

Jahrome Hughes is going to be a regular in the Kiwis, same as Tyson Frizell for Australia. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook has picked Ireland as hit Tier 2 nation whilst still trying to play for England.

Of some of the other SL players, Stevie Ward hasn't even been named in the Wales 'Elite Train-On' squad for RLWC2021.

Is there a reason Lewis Hall (Warrington) and Morgan Knowles (St Helens) are not in that list?

adamkungl

Immortal
If they can get all of those Super League players on board they would be serious competitors. But for whatever reason they rarely manage it.
Wales is a country with strong grassroots and a dormant fanbase that would get behind the sport with some success. Would love to see it happen.

welshmagpie

Juniors
It's exceptional, especially as only the likes of England, Australia, New Zealand, France, Fiji and PNG could do better.

On the surface, it would seem encouraging to see 14 of them with NRL or Super League clubs, however it is questionable if Wales could ever get the 'bigger' players to kit up for the Dragons.

Jahrome Hughes is going to be a regular in the Kiwis, same as Tyson Frizell for Australia. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook has picked Ireland as hit Tier 2 nation whilst still trying to play for England.

Of some of the other SL players, Stevie Ward hasn't even been named in the Wales 'Elite Train-On' squad for RLWC2021.

Is there a reason Lewis Hall (Warrington) and Morgan Knowles (St Helens) are not in that list?

knowles I forgot to include - I’ll add him in.

Lewis Hall doesn’t have a squad number so isn’t included - else I could include the 7 other welshmen in the reserves comp.

langpark

First Grade
If they could become a tier 1 nation but using ALL their heritage players.
Or remain as they are, as an average tier 2 nation, by having a 50% homegrown, 50% heritage make-up, then personally, I prefer the latter.

yakstorm

First Grade
Dafydd Jones
Dewi Billingham
James McGurk
Billy Glover
Owain Abel
Harvey McDaid
Keenan McDaid

Out of curiosity, what's the argument for not including Reserve Players, but say including players from League One? I know it's subjective, but one could potentially argue that someone like Lewis Hall is getting exposed to a higher standard of competition, or at least coaching, than say someone at West Wales.

langpark

First Grade
Out of curiosity, what's the argument for not including Reserve Players, but say including players from League One? I know it's subjective, but one could potentially argue that someone like Lewis Hall is getting exposed to a higher standard of competition, or at least coaching, than say someone at West Wales.
SL academy is of a much, much lower standard than League One, perhaps that is probably why. Also 65 is a pretty hefty number already.

welshmagpie

Juniors

the reserves competition has proven too hard to track to research players eligibility - too many teams don’t release team lists.

Latest posts