What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA 20/21 contracted players

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/cri...women-full-list-of-players-2020-21/2020-04-30

CA men's contract list:Ashton Agar, Joe Burns, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

CA women's contract list:Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Delissa Kimmince, Meg Lanning, Tahlia McGrath, Sophie Molineux, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, Tayla Vlaeminck, Georgia Wareham

TheParraboy

Staff member
Enter the Nugget

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-30/cricket-australia-usman-khawaja-loses-contract/12200890

Khawaja, a veteran of 44 Tests and 40 one-day internationals, was joined Nathan Coulter-Nile, Marcus Harris, Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh and Marcus Stoinis among the players axed from the men's list.

Not surprisingly, Labuschagne earned a contract after taking Test cricket by storm last summer, while Joe Burns, Matthew Wade, Ashton Agar, Mitchell Marsh and Kane Richardson were also upgraded.

"We feel all deserve their inclusion recognising the performances of those players in the past 12 months and, as importantly, what they can offer in the next 12 months," men's national selector Trevor Hohns said in a statement.

"Marnus's rise has been meteoric and well documented, Joe has been a good Test match player, Ashton Agar's form in T20 internationals has been exceptional, while Kane Richardson has been outstanding in the 20-over and one-day games.

"Matthew Wade's summer showed he is not only a tough but a good Test player for us. His form extended into white ball cricket late in the summer, earning him well-deserved call ups to the one-day and T20 Australian squads.

Fangs

Coach
I'd have Usman over Burns. Has been alright as a opener for us. I'm not sure Burns will be any better

If he really is good enough he will find a way back.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd have Usman over Burns. Has been alright as a opener for us. I'm not sure Burns will be any better

Khawaja has had enough chances. Not again!

African Monkey

First Grade

Neither are really the answer tbh. They're fill ins until someone else comes along.

Bazal

Post Whore
Burns is easily the better opener.

Khawaja for all his flaws is definitely amongst the top bats in the country though. Gnomey Langer at it again.

typicalfan

Coach
At their best I'd take Usman over Burns maybe even at their worst.

Unfortunately Usman failed in the test series against India it's unfair he bears the brunt but he seems to have.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Burns is easily the better opener.

Khawaja for all his flaws is definitely amongst the top bats in the country though. Gnomey Langer at it again.
Fan of the bloke but has simply never done the business when it matters

lockyno1

Post Whore
Fan of the bloke but has simply never done the business when it matters

This and we don't really need a spare number 3, we already have Lab there. he's not going to be picked as an opener. The ship has firmly sailed with Khawaja.

Fangs

Coach
This and we don't really need a spare number 3, we already have Lab there. he's not going to be picked as an opener. The ship has firmly sailed with Khawaja.

We persisted with Shaun Marsh. Why wouldn't they persist with Usman? Similar players in terms of their results at test level.

Two of his best ever innings came as an opener. Century in the day night test in Adelaide and a 4th innings century to draw in the UAE. There is definately a case for his selection there.

Not even a big fan of his but I can't see his name being crossed out yet. 20 years ago it would have been.

lockyno1

Post Whore
We persisted with Shaun Marsh. Why wouldn't they persist with Usman? Similar players in terms of their results at test level.

Two of his best ever innings came as an opener. Century in the day night test in Adelaide and a 4th innings century to draw in the UAE. There is definately a case for his selection there.

Not even a big fan of his but I can't see his name being crossed out yet. 20 years ago it would have been.

Making one wrong call (giving Marsh countless opportunities) doesn't mean we should make another one. Khawaja has had chances to rubber stamp that position and he hasn't. It's best to just move on. He's barely even made too many runs in the Shield last season anyway

simmo1

First Grade
Jury still out on Burns imo. Has been a part of the selection merry-go-round for a few years but has played the bulk of his tests at home against mediocre attacks (compare this to the attacks Harris has faced for example). He looks capable enough, but I'd like to see some runs v India, SA or England before I'm sold on him as a long term option.

I like Khawaja, but he's had a decade to cement his spot and hasn't taken it.