What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham

Walpole

Juniors
James Graham may depart the St George Illawarra Dragons next year - but can they afford to lose him?

4 hrs ago
BB13v1vK.img
:copyright: Getty Images
They've already lost superstar Tyson Frizell for 2021, after the NSW and Kangaroos rep signed with the Knights.

Jack de Belin is in no-mans-land due to the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy and the implications of COVID-19 on his court case.

So the question begs - can the St George Illawarra Dragons afford to lose veteran front-rower James Graham next season?

Reports have surfaced in recent days that the club may not re-sign the 34-year old after his current contract ends at the end of this season - and at his age after 400-plus games, that might seem fair enough.

Speaking on Triple M NRL on Saturday, senior reporter James Hooper confirmed that the club are looking at discussing their options with Graham in the coming weeks.

“The Dragons will sit down with James Graham over the next couple of weeks and try to work out whether he wants to continue in Wollongong," he said.

"In all likelihood he will want to keep playing...and he might head back over to the UK and finish in the English Super League.

"He’s a hell of a warrior James Graham…but he has had a couple of head knocks in recent times, so I’m sure they would want to have those sorts of conversations as well."

Since moving to the Dragons in 2018, the Englishman has become a leader both on and off the field for the club, and he certainly brings some intangibles to the organisation.

But since then he has slowed down considerably, and the impact he has as an enforcer on the field is not what it once was.

St George still have the likes of Paul Vaughan, Blake Lawrie and the Sims brothers (Korbin and Tariq) locked in until at least the end of 2021, and Graham's contract is likely a sizeable one.

If Graham were to stay at the club, you would think it would be on less money - but with Frizell departing for the Hunter, they probably need to replace some quality and experience in the engine room.

Names like Christian Welch, Kevin Proctor and James Tamou are all off-contract at the end of 2020 and could be targets for the Red V.

But none of that will be possible until they decide what they are doing with their old warhorse.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/rug...ey-afford-to-lose-him/ar-BB13vabU?li=BB11XTyn
Interesting the article mentions Welch, Proctor and Tamou being off contract.

Welch is 25, 6'5, 110 kg and made his Origin debut in 2019. The other two are 31 and past their best.

So I guess we'll be after Tamou or Proctor then...

BBTB

Juniors

Welch is 25, 6'5, 110 kg and made his Origin debut in 2019. The other two are 31 and past their best.

We have such a bad name, among the players, & managers.
Most of the good players won't come to this messed up place.
It's a laughing stock.

possm

Coach
We have such a bad name, among the players, & managers.
Most of the good players won't come to this messed up place.
It's a laughing stock.
With our new CEO and possibly Flanagan at coach maybe Millward would have a better sales line to spin.

BBTB

Juniors
With our new CEO and possibly Flanagan at coach maybe Millward would have a better sales line to spin.
But that's hyperthetical. What if the horse didn't stop to shit.... it would have won the race....
I'm sick and tied of all the what it's....

possm

Coach

I'd say Welch should be a good replacement for Graham. Graham's salary should be enouth to cover the recruitment of Welch.

Banjo2014

Juniors
banjo get yourself a vpn and watch channel 9 whenever you like my oldfriend what part of philippines are you residing in
Heidi and I are now unemployed and moved back from the States due to Corona - we now have a small condo in Balibago - 5 minutes drive from Clark International and 3 minute walk to the bars. (not that I am allowed to go)

If you know the joint there are plenty of Rugby League Bars here - Phillies (Tigers/Wests) - Ebony's (Souths) - Wild Orchid (Dragons) - Sarong Bar (Manly) etc etc - Rabbitohs are all over the place but used to be concentrated at Drill Shack.

BBTB

Juniors
I'd say Welch should be a good replacement for Graham. Graham's salary should be enouth to cover the recruitment of Welch.
Welch.... He's already knocked us back...
Once before....
Why would he change his mind now.... Was our start to this season... 0 from 2.

George Dragon

Juniors
The Dragons will sit down with James Graham over the next couple of weeks and try to work out whether he wants to continue in Wollongong," he said.
What he wants to do......
The Dragons should be telling him there is no contract for next year.
If he want to continue playing in ESL they should give him an early realese too.

Banjo2014

Juniors
The Dragons will sit down with James Graham over the next couple of weeks and try to work out whether he wants to continue in Wollongong," he said.
What he wants to do......
The Dragons should be telling him there is no contract for next year.
If he want to continue playing in ESL they should give him an early realese too.

They should let him finish the year in Reserve Grade and blood some new blokes - he can play down there and motivate the young guys - the mind boggles

possm

Coach
There is no reserve grade and why would you pay a guy 700k to play ressies
Why would we pay Graham 700k.
Who arranged that?

So, Frizell 600k, Graham 700k and De Belin 550k and we don't have the coin to sign D Fifita, Welch and extend Ford. Ford has now been extended so it's now time to sign D Fifita and Welch for 2021.

Vaughan
McInnes
Welch
T Sims
D Fifita
Merrin

Brittain
Kerr / K Sims
Laurie / Blacker
Ford / Fuimaono

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
Jimmy is a machine and I have a lot of love for him but he was a passenger most of last year so he is done. His mind, passion and desire is there 100 % but sadly like most athletes, his body is screaming the end.

Offer him a position on the coaching staff to mentor the young fellas over the next few years but if he wants to keep playing then unfortunately it’s home to ESL.

After 400 + games he has nothing to prove and I’d hate to see fellow Dragons fans putting the boot in. He deserves respect and dignity but honesty too.

merahputih

Juniors
There is no reserve grade and why would you pay a guy 700k to play ressies
The only way someone like Welch would leave the Storm under Bellamy's coaching is if there was an unwritten assurance that Mary was gone by next year and Flanno 's suspension would be lifted to allow him to coach 1st grade -or Bennett was coming. Long odds on any of these happening.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He’s got no real go forward anymore, if we were to use him imo the only useful capacity would be to get as many minutes out of him at lock as a tackling machine and leading up the defensive line like a less dynamic JDB. Once he’s buggered bring in Fuimaono or Ford for the rest of the game to exploit some tired defence. This is good in theory if our halves could actually get a repeat set or two and control the game a bit.

TruSaint

Referee
They should let him finish the year in Reserve Grade and blood some new blokes - he can play down there and motivate the young guys - the mind boggles

Playing in reserves for Graham would certainly not be a path for him to inspire others.

Ok, he's well past his best. But respect where its due. 400 plus games, and one of the few forwards we have that hate to lose and inspire on the field.

He represents all I want in a forward. Intimidating, leader, and a passion only a few have. We have better forwards, but none that offer these attributes.

I hope he stays on in some capacity.

jak

Bench

or there fathers

Latest posts