What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortals Question

lingard

Coach
After 05 its a fair call, but before he did his knee his attack was very good. He scored plenty of long range tries and had an offload and could pass before the line sometimes. After he did that knee his attacking game suffered and he was turned into a tackling machine robot.

Nevertheless, even when Hindmarsh was in his 'prime', Price was a far better attacking player.

Incorrect

Coach
The greatness of Kenny. Watch his footwork here in the 16.00 min of this video. He is using it to beat Giteau before he even has the ball. My favourite all time player
https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2020/04/08/rugby-league-dynasties-parramatta-eels/
It's beautiful. It's something that cannot be taught, the ability to swerve and leave an opponent flat-footed before you've even caught the ball and then catch the pass and maintain your speed in order to make the most of the hole you've opened up with that subterfuge you put on in the 1st place.

You see it every now and then these days, but it feels like luck. With Bert, it was an MO

Last edited:
It's beautiful. It's something that cannot be taught, the ability to swerve and leave an opponent flat-footed before you've even caught the ball and then catch the pass and maintain your speed in order to make the most of the hole you've opened up with that subterfuge you put on in the 1st place.

You see it every now and then these days, but it feels like luck. With Bert, it was an MO

That try he scored in the challenge cup final. when you see it from head on he actually drifts about 3 paces wide as the pass is thrown. It looks like he just moving forward from the side view but it puts him outside his man before he's got the ball

Suitman

Post Whore
The greatness of Kenny. Watch his footwork here in the 16.00 min of this video. He is using it to beat Giteau before he even has the ball. My favourite all time player
https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2020/04/08/rugby-league-dynasties-parramatta-eels/

Wow. What a great video!!
I have forever wanted to see more general premiership game highlights from our golden years in the 80's.
Finals and grand final games highlights are easy to find, as are individual player highlights.

Our years at Belmore (which I went to pretty much every game) had some of the most amazing Eels football ever. I'd even love to see some highlights from our last years at Cumberland if they are available.

The video you linked to had highlights from games at North Sydney Oval, Lidcombe, Cumberland, Belmore, Kogarah I think, Campbelltown etc....
Watching some of those highlights just reiterates that this team was one that arguably, over those seasons, had the greatest backline ever.

I also have to add how under rated Steve Ella was, and how he gets lost in our greatest players ever list. He was supremely quick, had a sublime step without losing speed, was defensively strong for a person with a small build, and he had superb reflexes. He was exciting personified.
Those highlights also prove that Eric Grothe Snr was one of the greatest wingers of all time.

Is there any more videos like this, that might show more of our highlights from club games from the late 70's or early 80's that you know of?

Gotta love hearing Rex's saltiness commentary in 82/83 as well.

So may good memories in that video.

I have forever wanted to see more general premiership game highlights from our golden years in the 80's.
Finals and grand final games highlights are easy to find, as are individual player highlights.

Our years at Belmore (which I went to pretty much every game) had some of the most amazing Eels football ever. I'd even love to see some highlights from our last years at Cumberland if they are available.

The video you linked to had highlights from games at North Sydney Oval, Lidcombe, Cumberland, Belmore, Kogarah I think, Campbelltown etc....
Watching some of those highlights just reiterates that this team was one that arguably, over those seasons, had the greatest backline ever.

I also have to add how under rated Steve Ella was, and how he gets lost in our greatest players ever list. He was supremely quick, had a sublime step without losing speed, was defensively strong for a person with a small build, and he had superb reflexes. He was exciting personified.
Those highlights also prove that Eric Grothe Snr was one of the greatest wingers of all time.

Is there any more videos like this, that might show more of our highlights from club games from the late 70's or early 80's that you know of?

Pretty sure Brandys next 2 try scorers on Fox are Ella & Kenny

The problem is that VCRs were not commercially available in Australia until 1980.
Therefore there was not a lot of people taping and keeping the games. There are a few games out there like this one. Parra v Norths in 1982
Channel 7 who telecast the games at this time have destroyed the game tapes except for some highlights. This is why they always just show grand finals and semi finals from the era. Other than that there is a few full games out there. If fox show some footage of old players its from the highlight stuff.
Parra don't even have the footage

golfer

Juniors
The problem is that VCRs were not commercially available in Australia until 1980.
Therefore there was not a lot of people taping and keeping the games. There are a few games out there like this one. Parra v Norths in 1982
Channel 7 who telecast the games at this time have destroyed the game tapes except for some highlights. This is why they always just show grand finals and semi finals from the era. Other than that there is a few full games out there. If fox show some footage of old players its from the highlight stuff.
Parra don't even have the footage
Just watched the Parra Norths highlights. Two things stand out, what a great backline it was and ERic Grothe is the best winger to wear the blue and gold. He was an absolute beast.

Latest posts