What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Rabbitohs Moments

Rabbits20

Immortal
https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/05/01/reynolds-trysaver-vs-inglis-trysaver/

As the saying goes, Rugby League is a game of moments. It’s the actions over the tic of the clock that define a Club, a career, a legacy… For many of the most defining moments in the great old history of Rugby League; there we where, the Rabbitohs, at the heartbeat of it all.

Over the coming weeks, we are going to dive in to some of the moments that have shaped the Rabbitohs way. The good stuff, (we’re pretty well versed by now with the feuds!).

The triumphs both on the field & off that have shaped our story, shared from generations past & to be shared to those to follow.

But what we really want to know is, what tops them all? Was it the feats of the “Little Master” Clive Churchill, who’s impact on the game was such that they award the best player in the most important game of the year with a medal in his name? Or was it the moment that the people of South Sydney, marching down Elizabeth Street, rose up against tyranny & injustice & forced their way back into their rightful place in the league? Or was it Sutton, Inglis, Burgess (busted face & all) lifting that trophy in 2014 to wash away 43 years of challenge & suffering?

Well, it’s up to you. We are going to explore 68 of the greatest moments in the history of the Rabbitohs - you are going to decide which one reigns supreme, thanks to our great partners Sutton's South Sydney.

The first one is GI trysaver on Uate versus Reyno’ trysaver on Sandow.

I voted for Reynolds trysaver on Sandow.

callmack1

Staff member
Reynolds Trysaver vs Inglis Trysaver: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/05/01/reynolds-trysaver-vs-inglis-trysaver/

For this match up, I voted for Reyno's trysaver. GI's was absolutely insane with the strength and skill he showed. One of the best trysavers I've ever seen and only GI would be able to do that. However, Reyno's just seemed an absolutely massive moment at the time. He had no right to be there really and an Eels try could have given them momentum and won the game but Reyno put a stop to that in his rookie Season against the guy who he'd replaced.

Jersey Flegg Premiers vs Wayne Bennett Signing: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/05/02/jersey-flegg-premiers-vs-wayne-bennett-signing/

This is a tough one. We are still in the Wayne Bennett era so we kind of don't know how big his signing has been. If we manage to win a Premiership in the near or distant future while still under his reign then yes, his signing is easily bigger but we don't know the outcome of it yet. However, as big as the Jersey Flegg Premiership was, I've gone with Wayne mostly because of what he has already done for our club and the star players he has already attracted here.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Yes I remember that game from Sandow and it broke our hoodoo losing streak against the Warriors. What a debut it was.

That Cookie try though wins for mine. What a moment that was and to do it against the Storm who have been one of the great defensive sides of our era like just wow! We were all going so nuts in the crowd at ANZ, it sent the Souths faithful delirious.

Travitoh

First Grade
Sandow's debut gets my vote.

From memory, times had been grim at Souths and his arrival along with a few others who came up the ranks was the first real feeling that Souths could be on the up.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Regular Season Crowd Record vs Roy Asotasi Signing: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...wd-record-vs-roy-asotasi-signing-top-moments/

I just couldn't go past the crowd..... Wow!

Well this is tough as both are so good.

The Asotasi signing kicked things off in regards to big players signings in years to come, as we know since readmission in 2002 Roy was our first big signing and it was such a massive day in the clubs history. If Roy hadn’t have done that then the other big names at that time still could very well have been reluctant to come to us.

That crowd was epic and I was there for that in my usual Bay 107, I still remember it clearly re the atmosphere. Tbh though I don’t remember much of the game as I wanted to wipe it out of my head as we lost and I was so gutted!

For mine I voted Roy, just can’t go past the fact of what a massive day that was in our history especially since we came back in 02, like players would’ve said who wants to go to Souths like what a basket case blah blah.... then it was Roy who took the leap of face and he was inspirational for us. I will never forget what Roy has done for our club ever and I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago too, he’s a champ!

Sandow

Asotasi

I think people forget just how significant that Asotasi signing was for South Sydney's resurgence.

Only 12 months or so earlier we'd been knocked back by Prodigal Son Braith Anasta, as well as Matt Orford and Steve Bell, who both went on to claim a comp at Manly.

On the field, Roy became our general.
Leading from the front, bullocking through the line and rag dolling attackers.

After signing Roy, we managed to bring in Vagana, Widders and Kidwell, and later brought back Craig Wing. Sure, all veterans at that time, but along with David Peachey who we'd signed mid-season in 2006, we had a nucleus of experienced players. That allowed young players and juniors like McQueen, Clark, Tyrrell, Peats to come through the system, then later Johnston, Walker etc.
With almost instant results, we qualified for the 2007 finals for the first time since 1989. This allowed us to go from perennial spooners to lower table, then mid table growth. In 2009, we signed Sam Burgess and late in 2010 GI. This gave us class, that pushed us forward.

With Roy's signing, and after a couple of years of blooding the likes of Sandow and Luke, mixed with our experience, our juniors slowly got better too, culminating in the 2010 NYC GF and a production line and recruitment of blooded talent that would go on to form the 2012-14 era squad. Reynolds was the final key in my book. There was much consternation and hand wringing when Sandow signed with Para in 2011 but many of the true faithful shrugged and said the kid from U20s who'd busted his knee in the 2011 pre-season would have taken Sandow's spot anyway. We'd have to wait until 2012 to see Adam Reynolds in 1st Grade, but what a club man he has been.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing. 2010 and 2011 we missed finals by the skin of our teeth in last round loses. 2012 a prelim; 2013 a lost opportunity for a GF and a title; 2014 the mountain climbed. 2015 we were on fire then fizzed. 2016 and 2017 we burnt out but come 2018 and 2019 we reached the top again, losing consecutive Prelim Finals.

There is much to still be excited about. GI and Burgess have come and gone. But there's Cam Murray, Campbell Graham, Liam Knight, Junior Tatola. Thomas Burgess is our veteran. Alex Johnston continues to fly; Gagai toils (despite both being knocked by fans at times, this one included - shamefully]). Cook and Walker can be electric, and there's the potential Latrell could be the second coming. And of course, there's still Adam Reynolds, leading us around the park and kicking those impossible goals.

I took my 8 month old son to his first game Rd 1, 2010. As a club, we went from the dark times of the 1990's, expulsion and the dark times of the 2000's to a complete overhaul and reconstruction, to finally our 21st Premiership...43 years after the last. I used to hope and pray Souths could win...could avoid the spoon; he gets the shits if we don't make Top 4. Such a change in perspective and attitude for our younger Souths fans :)

Russell Crowe is owed much by our fans but with the success on the field, Roy Asotasi was the catalyst for our onfield success and Russell and Roy should be forever feted by the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Sandow

Asotasi

I think people forget just how significant that Asotasi signing was for South Sydney's resurgence.

Only 12 months or so earlier we'd been knocked back by Prodigal Son Braith Anasta, as well as Matt Orford and Steve Bell, who both went on to claim a comp at Manly.

On the field, Roy became our general.
Leading from the front, bullocking through the line and rag dolling attackers.

After signing Roy, we managed to bring in Vagana, Widders and Kidwell, and later brought back Craig Wing. Sure, all veterans at that time, but along with David Peachey who we'd signed mid-season in 2006, we had a nucleus of experienced players. That allowed young players and juniors like McQueen, Clark, Tyrrell, Peats to come through the system, then later Johnston, Walker etc.
With almost instant results, we qualified for the 2007 finals for the first time since 1989. This allowed us to go from perennial spooners to lower table, then mid table growth. In 2009, we signed Sam Burgess and late in 2010 GI. This gave us class, that pushed us forward.

With Roy's signing, and after a couple of years of blooding the likes of Sandow and Luke, mixed with our experience, our juniors slowly got better too, culminating in the 2010 NYC GF and a production line and recruitment of blooded talent that would go on to form the 2012-14 era squad. Reynolds was the final key in my book. There was much consternation and hand wringing when Sandow signed with Para in 2011 but many of the true faithful shrugged and said the kid from U20s who'd busted his knee in the 2011 pre-season would have taken Sandow's spot anyway. We'd have to wait until 2012 to see Adam Reynolds in 1st Grade, but what a club man he has been.

It hasn't been all smooth sailing. 2010 and 2011 we missed finals by the skin of our teeth in last round loses. 2012 a prelim; 2013 a lost opportunity for a GF and a title; 2014 the mountain climbed. 2015 we were on fire then fizzed. 2016 and 2017 we burnt out but come 2018 and 2019 we reached the top again, losing consecutive Prelim Finals.

There is much to still be excited about. GI and Burgess have come and gone. But there's Cam Murray, Campbell Graham, Liam Knight, Junior Tatola. Thomas Burgess is our veteran. Alex Johnston continues to fly; Gagai toils (despite both being knocked by fans at times, this one included - shamefully]). Cook and Walker can be electric, and there's the potential Latrell could be the second coming. And of course, there's still Adam Reynolds, leading us around the park and kicking those impossible goals.

I took my 8 month old son to his first game Rd 1, 2010. As a club, we went from the dark times of the 1990's, expulsion and the dark times of the 2000's to a complete overhaul and reconstruction, to finally our 21st Premiership...43 years after the last. I used to hope and pray Souths could win...could avoid the spoon; he gets the shits if we don't make Top 4. Such a change in perspective and attitude for our younger Souths fans :)

Russell Crowe is owed much by our fans but with the success on the field, Roy Asotasi was the catalyst for our onfield success and Russell and Roy should be forever feted by the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Really well said. It gives me goosebumps thinking back to those years. The prospect of being competitive was exciting enough.

There are a number of guys who came into the club in that period and left before the premiership who deserve to be recognised. Asotasi and those you've already mentioned obviously and Michael Crocker is another imo. They began setting the standards that we hold the club to today.

Really well said. It gives me goosebumps thinking back to those years. The prospect of being competitive was exciting enough.

There are a number of guys who came into the club in that period and left before the premiership who deserve to be recognised. Asotasi and those you've already mentioned obviously and Michael Crocker is another imo. They began setting the standards that we hold the club to today.

Damn. That's twice I forgot Crocker.

Rabbits20

Immortal

This was bloody brilliant! Certainly a night I’ll never forget. What a sudden death finals match it was. I was on the edge of my seat nervous the whole game.

It was like we’d won the Grand Final when we won! The crowd was just amazing!

All I have to say is RREEYYYYNNNOOLLLDDDSSS RRRREEEEEYYYYNNNNOOOLLLLLDDDDSSSS RRRRREEEEYYYYYYYNNNNNNNNOOOOLLLDDDDSSSSSSS

Rabbits20

Immortal

This was bloody brilliant! Certainly a night I’ll never forget. What a sudden death finals match it was. I was on the edge of my seat nervous the whole game.

It was like we’d won the Grand Final when we won! The crowd was just amazing!

All I have to say is RREEYYYYNNNOOLLLDDDSSS RRRREEEEEYYYYNNNNOOOLLLLLDDDDSSSS RRRRREEEEYYYYYYYNNNNNNNNOOOOLLLDDDDSSSSSSS
Or