What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg stands down

Spot On

Coach
Heard on the radio today that greenburg was on 1.2 million.

Outrageous. It’s due to this level of greed that not only rugby league but society in general is so f**ked.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Big bonuses for achieving 'his' targets too.

Good rort.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Greenberg was on $1.2. The boss of super league in the UK is on nearly $800k. I would say Greenberg's job had alot more pressure.

It's all relative.

Isn't the AFL boss on over $1 million?

Perth Red

Post Whore

wilco44

Juniors
That was the best decision ever! When he was at the Dogs - he was a scam artist then - good riddance.

davi

Juniors
I see Andrew Abdo has now been named as the permanent replacement as Todd Greenberg's replacement for NRL CEO. Does anyone think the role seems to be losing prominence since Peter V'landys became commissioner? Abdo hasn't been seen much in the media since he took over from Greenberg. For all we know he could be doing a great job behind the scenes though.

Its just seems though V'landy's has been the mover and shaker while Abdo has seem to be less prominent. By saying that media appearances doesn't necessary translating into you are doing a good job. In fact some way it can be seem to be more admirable if your seen less. That you are not trying cover your ass talking up how much you have contributed, and how the game is now in such a great position.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys predicts Andrew Abdo will be the game's greatest-ever chief executive after officially unveiling him as Todd Greenberg's replacement on Thursday.

Abdo has been in the role in an interim capacity following Greenberg's departure in April and has sufficiently impressed to be handed the job full-time. The game's former chief commercial officer has had a strong working relationship with V'landys and has also won over influential club figures over the past five months.

His appointment on Thursday provides the NRL with stability at a time when there has been a churn of sporting executives across Australian sports.

V'landys gave Abdo a huge vote of confidence during Thursday's media announcement.

"Andrew has impressed the commission while he has been the interim CEO with his commercial acumen, his calmness and his work ethic has been outstanding," V'landys said. "We didn't need to look far.

"I would say to you today, and I hope I'm right and I know I'm going to be right, that Andrew will be the best CEO the NRL ever had."

South African born and raised, Abdo is a chartered accountant who worked for Deloitte in Johannesburg, Bermuda and Sydney before he joined the NRL.

"I'm going to start off with a quote from one of my heroes growing up as a child in South Africa and that's Nelson Mandella: 'Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It creates hope.'

"This is an absolute honour and the highlight of my career," Abdo said.

Abdo's top priority is to overhaul the cost structure of the game, a process which began earlier in the week when the positions of executives Nick Weeks and Liz Deegan were made redundant.

"We need to remove costs, we need to secure revenues and we need to reset the culture inside our game," Abdo said.

"More trust, more transparency and more action ... Cost cutting has been an ongoing process for this whole season. We have removed significant costs in 2020 just to survive.

"We are aiming to remove $50 million (in costs) from the business in order for us to be sustainable going forward."

The 43 year old added: "I've been passionate about sport my entire life. When my wife and I decided to move to Australia it was rugby league that helped create our networks. Almost all of my friends and business relationships have come from rugby league."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ab...g-as-nrl-chief-executive-20200903-p55rzl.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see Andrew Abdo has now been named as the permanent replacement as Todd Greenberg's replacement for NRL CEO. Does anyone think the role seems to be losing prominence since Peter V'landys became commissioner? Abdo hasn't been seen much in the media since he took over from Greenberg. For all we know he could be doing a great job behind the scenes though.

Its just seems though V'landy's has been the mover and shaker while Abdo has seem to be less prominent. By saying that media appearances doesn't necessary translating into you are doing a good job. In fact some way it can be seem to be more admirable if your seen less. That you are not trying cover your ass talking up how much you have contributed, and how the game is now in such a great position.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys predicts Andrew Abdo will be the game's greatest-ever chief executive after officially unveiling him as Todd Greenberg's replacement on Thursday.

Abdo has been in the role in an interim capacity following Greenberg's departure in April and has sufficiently impressed to be handed the job full-time. The game's former chief commercial officer has had a strong working relationship with V'landys and has also won over influential club figures over the past five months.

His appointment on Thursday provides the NRL with stability at a time when there has been a churn of sporting executives across Australian sports.

V'landys gave Abdo a huge vote of confidence during Thursday's media announcement.

"Andrew has impressed the commission while he has been the interim CEO with his commercial acumen, his calmness and his work ethic has been outstanding," V'landys said. "We didn't need to look far.

"I would say to you today, and I hope I'm right and I know I'm going to be right, that Andrew will be the best CEO the NRL ever had."

South African born and raised, Abdo is a chartered accountant who worked for Deloitte in Johannesburg, Bermuda and Sydney before he joined the NRL.

"I'm going to start off with a quote from one of my heroes growing up as a child in South Africa and that's Nelson Mandella: 'Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It creates hope.'

"This is an absolute honour and the highlight of my career," Abdo said.

Abdo's top priority is to overhaul the cost structure of the game, a process which began earlier in the week when the positions of executives Nick Weeks and Liz Deegan were made redundant.

"We need to remove costs, we need to secure revenues and we need to reset the culture inside our game," Abdo said.

"More trust, more transparency and more action ... Cost cutting has been an ongoing process for this whole season. We have removed significant costs in 2020 just to survive.

"We are aiming to remove $50 million (in costs) from the business in order for us to be sustainable going forward."

The 43 year old added: "I've been passionate about sport my entire life. When my wife and I decided to move to Australia it was rugby league that helped create our networks. Almost all of my friends and business relationships have come from rugby league."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ab...g-as-nrl-chief-executive-20200903-p55rzl.html

Well done to him and good luck.
Not surprised by the appointment, he seems to know his place. Vlad will be happy.
On the plus side he cant be much worse that some of the other muppets to have sat in the seat. Last time we put a money man in charge it didnt last long, lets see if Abdo can survive more than one tv deal!

Latest posts