What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 team

Silent Knight

First Grade
O'Brien has said young Tex Hoy will make his debut at fullback in the first game back :)

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2020/05/06/his-for-the-taking-hoy-set-to-make-nrl-debut/

I went on to YouTube to find some Tex highlights and found this video:

I was curious about what skills Tex can bring to the team. From the above video it appears that his best strength is his running game, but in addition he has a nice show-n-go, draw-and-pass and in one example he put in a deft grubber for one of his outside backs to score. He seems to know when to run and when to pass, which is encouraging.

I was impressed with his repertoire and I think if he brings his youthful energy to the fore and doesn’t get overawed by the occasion he can be a real weapon for us and it will be a matter of when (not if) he becomes our first choice 5/8.

This is Tex’s chance. Deliver with a bang and it will be hard for Obi to leave him out of the future 17.

ryana87

Juniors
Say he kills it and we can't leave him out of the 17....where does he play?.....

No6? Maybe?

Worried that if we can't fit him in, some club needing a fullback will come along and pick him up

When is his contract up?

Still Nutty

Juniors
Say he kills it and we can't leave him out of the 17....where does he play?.....

No6? Maybe?

Worried that if we can't fit him in, some club needing a fullback will come along and pick him up

When is his contract up?
Last I saw, Hoy is signed to 2021 so he can't be 'officially' approached until at least next season - as a player who has top be in our long term plans, I think we are now a club that will have his situation covered well before then

I didn't think of this with regards to our next game.
We've got to no real goal kicker.
Ponga out and 3rd go Barnett out. That leaves Lino.
We might see Lino to 6 with Mann out or at fullback.
Can anyone else kick? Hoy?

PhilGould

Bench
Hoy kicked a few years back but wasn't real flash. Mann used to kick in under 20's but thats 7 or 8 years ago at this point. Edrick kicked 1 goal for Cronulla so he may be our man.

Knight Vision

First Grade
This would be the best Rugby League news in decades. A game changer that will see guys like Connor Watson achieve their potential in the game with exciting little men entertaining us once again . The interchange should be 4 maximum.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/3be9a196ec40ee545b0870667324838d

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys is hellbent on eradicating wrestle from the NRL and plans to reduce interchange as early as next year.

The current interchange cap is eight per team, per game, but V’landys told The Daily Telegraph he plans to reduce that in 2021, most likely to six interchanges.

It’s previously been speculated the NRL could reduce the interchange to as low as four per team.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Not sure where to put this but the following Donkeys article reminds of what life was like at our club under Wango...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/1e089125db9743de85018ebb233d1424

Oates admits the team was fractured in terms of there being different groups. It reminds me of the pro-Bennett group (Darius and co) and the outsiders group (Mullen, Uate etc).

No matter where that old skeleton creeps, he divides football clubs like no one else.

Spot On

Coach
This would be the best Rugby League news in decades. A game changer that will see guys like Connor Watson achieve their potential in the game with exciting little men entertaining us once again . The interchange should be 4 maximum.

Yes it should HAVE ALREADY BEEN but the pathetic previous LEADERSHIP at the NRL would have had to have a committee with coaches and ex-players and extensive testing of such an idea that would require a period of 3 to 5 years and untold cost before anyone would have had the brains or balls to simply f**king do it.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Yes it should HAVE ALREADY BEEN but the pathetic previous LEADERSHIP at the NRL would have had to have a committee with coaches and ex-players and extensive testing of such an idea that would require a period of 3 to 5 years and untold cost before anyone would have had the brains or balls to simply f**king do it.
Yep the new leadership seems to be very proactive versus years of frustratingly hesitant and reactive leadership.

Yosh

Coach
Question: Our current coach comes from the Storm system and probably is a big fan of the wrestle. Isn't a lower interchange count not good for us then?

Penrose_11

Juniors
Was Tyrone Roberts-Davis in your Top 30 and ever a chance of making the game day 17? I see he’s now signed up with the Warriors for remainder of 2020 having come from GC last year.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Stand corrected. Over on Warriors page someone just said that Zero Tackle has it it like that all season and that it’s an error and guessing it’s because NZ Warriors and NewC are side by side on the team list etc.