What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell Mitchell

Saint Pedro

Juniors
I fully get Reynolds getting out there, and speaking to the media about leaving Latrell out of the papers for 32 seconds. The media have hammered Latrell for a couple of years. Think, contracts, he was playing for everyone at one stage, his refusal to sing the anthem, (everyone Australian has to sing the bloody anthem , which doesn’t include aboriginal people) filter dropping him for origin, his hammering in the grand final, despite throwing the pass which led to the winning try. You can see where aboriginal players get the idea they are denigrated by the media and every know it all commentator in Australia. I keep thinking of Nicky winmar, and Adam Goodes in the Aussie Rules, who for different reasons got hammered by the vocal press and majority. Has anyone got Latrells version per chance?

giboz71

First Grade
I fully get Reynolds getting out there, and speaking to the media about leaving Latrell out of the papers for 32 seconds. The media have hammered Latrell for a couple of years. Think, contracts, he was playing for everyone at one stage, his refusal to sing the anthem, (everyone Australian has to sing the bloody anthem , which doesn’t include aboriginal people) filter dropping him for origin, his hammering in the grand final, despite throwing the pass which led to the winning try. You can see where aboriginal players get the idea they are denigrated by the media and every know it all commentator in Australia. I keep thinking of Nicky winmar, and Adam Goodes in the Aussie Rules, who for different reasons got hammered by the vocal press and majority. Has anyone got Latrells version per chance?

Have no problem with Reynolds coming out publicly to support a teammate. And agree Latrell has copped a lot from the media in recent times.

But to compare his profile with Michael Jordan is downright ludicrous. Jordan was revered by the entire planet. Outside of NSW and QLD, no one even knows who Mitchell is.

Belta

Juniors

It’s certainly the case, and I readily accept that media spot light is part and parcel of their vocation . To a degree the players must be tolerant of the hand that feeds them. I do think however there does come a time when the invasiveness gets beyond ridiculous. In the case of Latrell I fully agree with your views on being harassed by the media. This is not so much the case in the farm incident as I feel he made a rod for his own back. It’s as you mentioned the publicity that surrounded his most recent contract negotiations that bordered on insanity. The immeasurable stories that circulated makes you wonder what standards if any exist in media circles. Constant battering is IMO almost criminal, and can be degrading and harmful to the well being of these young men, another similar sort of harassment occurred with Hunt.

redv13

Bench
It’s certainly the case, and I readily accept that media spot light is part and parcel of their vocation . To a degree the players must be tolerant of the hand that feeds them. I do think however there does come a time when the invasiveness gets beyond ridiculous. In the case of Latrell I fully agree with your views on being harassed by the media. This is not so much the case in the farm incident as I feel he made a rod for his own back. It’s as you mentioned the publicity that surrounded his most recent contract negotiations that bordered on insanity. The immeasurable stories that circulated makes you wonder what standards if any exist in media circles. Constant battering is IMO almost criminal, and can be degrading and harmful to the well being of these young men, another similar sort of harassment occurred with Hunt.
The recent contract negotiations where his management team slutted him to the bulldogs then tigers, Souths, Gold Coast, back to the Roosters then when Uncle Nick told him to practically eat a di** then the same happened from the bulldogs and tigers before he finally signed with Souths for “200k” less, then yeah I guess the media should be held accountable for poor little Latrell.....

Old Timer

Coach
If players want to keep putting themselves in the limelight they can't then complain when the light is shone on them.
If players want to keep making gooses of themselves then don't be upset when you find yourself in the media and put under the microscope.
Many players can go through their careers and remain pretty much under the media radar whilst others just can't seem to keep out of it and often as a result of their own actions.

jeffdragon

Bench
If players want to keep putting themselves in the limelight they can't then complain when the light is shone on them.
If players want to keep making gooses of themselves then don't be upset when you find yourself in the media and put under the microscope.
Many players can go through their careers and remain pretty much under the media radar whilst others just can't seem to keep out of it and often as a result of their own actions.
It's the minority who spoil it for The majority in heaps of situations
I don't like when players use their race as an excuse.
It has happened.a few times.

The recent contract negotiations where his management team slutted him to the bulldogs then tigers, Souths, Gold Coast, back to the Roosters then when Uncle Nick told him to practically eat a di** then the same happened from the bulldogs and tigers before he finally signed with Souths for “200k” less, then yeah I guess the media should be held accountable for poor little Latrell.....

You missed the wolf pack and NQ.

It was a circus.

Not many of the clubs he approached sent him packing. The roosters are entitled to be disappointed at the lack of unity. Karma I guess.

The tigers were the worst of the clubs he approached. Lost our heads. It was humiliating and reflected poorly on our management.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm guessing they all would be doing it, AFL and Union players included.

But only League players get themselves photographed and filmed, or post it themselves on social media.
That'd be anecdotal at best.

Seems like they have to be caught by police or reported to police before it makes the news.
Turns out the AFL players in WA having a party was caught on social media. I don't blame you if you missed it, there has been a lack of reporting on this incident.

After firing all guns at the NRL, the Offisiders moved their attention (briefly) to the AFL players in WA, and said the police blamed the media.

https://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/sunday-3-may-full-program/12209912

FTR, the AFL players escaped prosecution. Their club (Freemantle) fined them $1000 each. Nothing to see here, apparently.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...y/news-story/9787fe1fb6ca9fcd379debe54806335f

I was previously unaware that Covid-19 differentiates between Rugby League and Aussies Rules when it comes to spreading the virus.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

THIS.

As you say OT, there are a number of players who keep putting themselves in bad positions yet, when the public call them out, they then cry racist or try leaning on their heritage as an excuse.

Really pathetic to be honest and in fact, if anyone should cry racist, it should be the public in general.

They are boys in men’s bodies need to stop blaming everyone else and start looking in the mirror.

l always admired Mundine senior. A very good boxer who never shot his mouth of and never used his heritage to say he’s hard done by. These players need to grow up and look at real men like him, as to how they should carry themselves.

To me, Latrell in particular has had too much success and money for his own good. He treated his teammates and the Roosters club extremely poorly, hence uncle Nick got rid of him.

Instead of people sucking up to Latrell, people should take a leaf out of Politis book and call it as it is.

If Latrell can’t hack it, he can move on ..... or, he can prove he’s a champion and learn from it all and stay in the game and get even better.

Then, everybody wins.

giboz71

First Grade
Turns out the AFL players in WA having a party was caught on social media. I don't blame you if you missed it, there has been a lack of reporting on this incident.

After firing all guns at the NRL, the Offisiders moved their attention (briefly) to the AFL players in WA, and said the police blamed the media.

https://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/sunday-3-may-full-program/12209912

FTR, the AFL players escaped prosecution. Their club (Freemantle) fined them $1000 each. Nothing to see here, apparently.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...y/news-story/9787fe1fb6ca9fcd379debe54806335f

I was previously unaware that Covid-19 differentiates between Rugby League and Aussies Rules when it comes to spreading the virus.

As I said, I never doubted that other codes players were breaking rules. Have the AFL announced a start date yet?

May explain the disparity in the media coverage. Given the NRL have been rabid in getting their season started, the media is always going to focus on their players breaking rules, given they want to resume their season whilst we’re all still basically in lock down.

grouch

First Grade
THIS.

As you say OT, there are a number of players who keep putting themselves in bad positions yet, when the public call them out, they then cry racist or try leaning on their heritage as an excuse.

Really pathetic to be honest and in fact, if anyone should cry racist, it should be the public in general.

They are boys in men’s bodies need to stop blaming everyone else and start looking in the mirror.

l always admired Mundine senior. A very good boxer who never shot his mouth of and never used his heritage to say he’s hard done by. These players need to grow up and look at real men like him, as to how they should carry themselves.

To me, Latrell in particular has had too much success and money for his own good. He treated his teammates and the Roosters club extremely poorly, hence uncle Nick got rid of him.

Instead of people sucking up to Latrell, people should take a leaf out of Politis book and call it as it is.

If Latrell can’t hack it, he can move on ..... or, he can prove he’s a champion and learn from it all and stay in the game and get even better.

Then, everybody wins.
On the flip side, how about this: if boomers don't like how he behaves, try shutting the f**k up about it? Then, everybody wins

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
On the flip side, how about this: if boomers don't like how he behaves, try shutting the f**k up about it? Then, everybody wins

Of course, there’s always a jockey out there that takes offence to common sense. So typical of some younger generation participants.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
As I said, I never doubted that other codes players were breaking rules. Have the AFL announced a start date yet?
They've only said a June date is "plausible" - IMO, the AFL leadership is being found out. Interesting times.
May explain the disparity in the media coverage. Given the NRL have been rabid in getting their season started, the media is always going to focus on their players breaking rules, given they want to resume their season whilst we’re all still basically in lock down.
That disparity was there well before the coronavirus.

No worries at all. I'm actually very pleased with the way the League has approached this. I am fully aware that necessity is the mother (or money) of invention and the NRL were in survival mode. I'm also aware that the departure of Greenberg and the somewhat dictatorial role from V'landys has played a big part in this.

But on the same token, Rugby League didn't just lay down and die.

Take note rugby union.

BLM01

First Grade
I am with you I am over the hype and media chasing a story about him and a photo.....no matter how little it is chasing him around every corner. It's worse than poor Lady Di
You could throw the media boomers in that basket too..

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I am with you I am over the hype and media chasing a story about him and a photo.....no matter how little it is chasing him around every corner. It's worse than poor Lady Di
You could throw the media boomers in that basket too..

BLM01,
I agree that the media do overdo it.
That’s always been the case but more so nowadays.

My point was that the mud won’t stick if they don’t make themselves a target.
Most achieve it, some don’t.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
My point was that the mud won’t stick if they don’t make themselves a target.
It’s ironic you say this but are also getting so defensive over your post.

The quarantine breaking stuff was stupid behaviour from Latrell.

But the resulting media pile on about his fitness & health this week is just straight out bullying.

Gareth67

First Grade
THIS.

Then, everybody wins.

Well said buddy and to the point .

May I also use Eric Simms from South Sydney as an example of an unassuming , yet champion player that brought pride to all rugby league fans , regardless of heritage .

Also ( just a very quick trip down memory lane ) I had the pleasure of meeting Tony Mundine one day when he was at Ernie McQuillian’s gym one Saturday afternoon . As you have said , a well spoken man who had no tickets on himself and a true gentleman.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
THIS.

Then, everybody wins.
Your anger is noted. You say Latrell Mitchell should have kept his aboriginality out of it.

Latrell has been caught breaking social distancing rules and, heaven forbid, he then spoke his mind.

Although, Mitchell never did "cry racist". There is an irony about the lengths some folks will go to when exaggerating these things.

It is true he has spoken out against racism in the past and will no doubt continue to do so.

Nevertheless...

Imagine a 'better' world where black athletes kept their mouths shut.

Not saying you are a bad person, but your argument sounds all too familiar.

Latest posts