What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

I’m going to go out on a limb here and state that more than one of the people tearing into these players doesn’t get their flu shot every year. only about 20% of the population does. So some of you are 100% being hypocritical dickheads.

cant see the government ruling holding up in a court of law. If we can’t force vaccinations that actually save lives like MMR to be mandatory, what hope is there for one that protects against your garden variety flu?

I had mine on Wednesday.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
if your employer said you can't come into the office again without being vaccinated most would simply get it. Others may look for another job. The players can do the same

I would just work from home, like I am doing now and like I mainly did before Covid-19. The only time I have been in since February, ironically was to get a flu shot.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
What a massive sook.

So the vast vast majority get vaccinations, and yet your salty as f**k because "hypocrisy"?

On what planet is 20% a vast majority? Riddle me this batman, Covid-19 is more contagious than the flu, yet the bio-security measures put in place will supposedly ensure that players won't catch Covid-19, for which there is no vaccine, yet the code is worried about players catching the flu, which is harder to catch.

If the isolation the players will be under is so tight, I am wondering why they can catch the flu but not Covid-19. Especially when herd immunity to the flu will effectively be achieved with 95% of players and I would expect team support staff will have the flu vaccination.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Just want to put on notice my opposition to this. As bad as two refs have been at times, memories are short on how bad they were getting with one ref that made the argument for two refs so compelling.

Memories are very short. NRL will do what ch9 commentators keep screaming for. When the game works out to be slower, commentators will move on to whinging about something else

Xcalibre

Juniors
I’m going to go out on a limb here and state that more than one of the people tearing into these players doesn’t get their flu shot every year. only about 20% of the population does. So some of you are 100% being hypocritical dickheads.

cant see the government ruling holding up in a court of law. If we can’t force vaccinations that actually save lives like MMR to be mandatory, what hope is there for one that protects against your garden variety flu?

orly?

I have only gotten it twice in recent years, once because I travelled to S.E Asia in their winter (which was more like our summer) and the next winter in Aus. I haven’t got them any other time because I normally don’t get the flu at home and a doctor advised it, just like the several others I got for that region, like Hepatitis A.

There’s a massive difference between the importance of preventing the spread of flu in normal times, with the current pandemic period, and even more so when the government requires it. For one the flu isn’t normally severe to fatal for most.

Get a vaccine if you’re going somewhere that terrible diseases exist (third world) to protect yourself and not add to the problem and/or when a doctor advises, which is the most important aspect of the NRL situation. It’s a medical dept requirement for the competition to resume!

TheFrog

Coach
If the isolation the players will be under is so tight, I am wondering why they can catch the flu but not Covid-19. Especially when herd immunity to the flu will effectively be achieved with 95% of players and I would expect team support staff will have the flu vaccination.
The problem with catching the flu, or even a minor sniffle, is that it must be assumed to be C-19 until testing takes place, which means all manner of isolation of not only the player but everyone they've been in contact with. You can just imagine the media hysteria when this happens. Flu shots won't even stop this happening but they might reduce the likelihood a bit.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
ThatTenseFrilledlizard-max-1mb.gif

some11

Referee
Is my understanding of this right? The three Raiders players are exempt on religious grounds. Is this not correct?
It's got nothing to do with religion, that is a cop-out.

If they don't comply with government legislation then they won't be able to play.

It's up to them, they do have a choice.

Canard

Immortal
On what planet is 20% a vast majority? Riddle me this batman, Covid-19 is more contagious than the flu, yet the bio-security measures put in place will supposedly ensure that players won't catch Covid-19, for which there is no vaccine, yet the code is worried about players catching the flu, which is harder to catch.

20% is a pulled out of his arse number. Considering it's harder to get the jab at the moment and there is 16.5M vaccinations available I'd say that number is horseshit.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers...ustralians-getting-vaccinated-against-the-flu

Even if it is, it's not reflective of people being anti-vaxx if they don't get it.

Catching the flu will increase the risk of complications/susceptibility if you contract Rona so you reduce your risk.

It's pretty f**king simple.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
if your employer said you can't come into the office again without being vaccinated most would simply get it. Others may look for another job.
And yet others would go to the union.

I was in what is now Sydney Trains when they brought in random drug testing, around 15 years ago. That was done on the basis of legislation but it was just a urine test. Injecting a foreign substance into the body is quite different and would require an EBA at the very least.

Latest posts