What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corona Virus and NRL Games

Willow

Assistant Moderator
They had clearance from SA Police mate.

SA POLICE MAKE CALL ON CROWS BREACH

South Australian police have reportedly cleared the Adelaide Crows of any legal wrongdoing for their AFL training breach.

The Crows had 16 players in the Barossa in isolation, after they returned from interstate, with the group needing to spend 14 days alone.

However, with special permission from the South Australian Police, they were able to break quarantine laws and leave their hotel rooms.

Under rules from the AFL, the players were able to train in groups of two. But, the club confirmed on Thursday this wasn’t completed during a session.

South Australian police deemed that, given the training group did not exceed 10 players and did not break any quarantine exemptions they were afforded, the Crows had no case to answer.

Still, the group of eight players did break the AFL’s requirement for players to train in pairs and will likely receive their punishment from the league today.

foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-covid19-coronavirus-updates-afl-restart-date-budget-cuts-financial-strain-job-losses/news-story/010e807a313ed402e4bf71921e2942a7
No mate.. it doesn't says they had clearance. The police investigated and agreed it was an "honest mistake". Read this:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...ating-crows-social-distancing-breach/12227606

The SA police have opted to 'educate' the players.

It is indeed fortunate that the Crows have the support and understanding of the State police service.

NRL players investigated: Front page news, pictures, players named and shamed.

AFL players investigated: "Honest mistake", picture without heads, no players named.

TruSaint

Referee
No mate.. it doesn't says they had clearance. The police investigated and agreed it was an "honest mistake". Read this:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05...ating-crows-social-distancing-breach/12227606

The SA police have opted to 'educate' the players.

It is indeed fortunate that the Crows have the support and understanding of the State police service.

NRL players investigated: Front page news, pictures, players named and shamed.

AFL players investigated: "Honest mistake", picture without heads, no players named.

I read that report mate, and it was published before the one posted.
To be honest, Im not really sure to make of this.

One thing is for sure, is that if this was the NRL ( irrespective of varying reports), players would have been named. Yes.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

One thing is for sure, is that if this was the NRL ( irrespective of varying reports), players would have been named. Yes.
The police investigated, that's not in dispute. They then said it's all ok. Media goes easy. This type of stuff is normal in AFL land.

blacksafake

First Grade

Pirate Pete would have a field day if an NRL club did this.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Pirate Pete would have a field day if an NRL club did this.
You don't even have to go looking for it. AFL indiscretions pop up on the news as a minor item under the bigger NRL news.

Most recently it has the Flu jab story with accusations that the NRL are making it up as they go along... well hasn't that the case for everyone since coronavirus? It has been getting lots of air time with players being named and comments from the PM, like this is big news. Meanwhile a text barker quickly scrolls past about the Adelaide Crows, that will be forgotten by the end of the day.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Geez, this talk of comparable "offenses" is beyond weird. Reporting of such is only relevant to the situation at present and gains momentum based on prominence of the "game" at this time. The NRL is slated for a return to play in (approx 3 weeks) hence it is now attracting more headlines and scrutiny. The AFL, and other sports (albeit Rugby appears to have a start date now) don't, therefore they are of less importance as far as the media etc.
And what of other international sports such as NFL or EPL, they too have had "breaches" of protocols, yet they hold no prominence in the media reporting. These also have no slated restart date.

Lets face it NSW is a Rugby League state it is always going to report on incidences relevant to what is popular, particularly, with the restart happening.

I'd be more incline to compare sports once all have been given the green light to return to play.

Old Timer

Coach
The fact that the media might go light on other codes and players compared to RL is basically irrelevant.

The thing that is relevant is what was reported actually worthy of reporting.

To argue that RL incidents shouldn’t be reported on the basis that things from other sports are not is simply avoidance of bad behaviour.

The best way to be not reported is to be pretty much a clean skin and don’t do stupid dumb things.

Plenty of players can do that so it seems to be a reasonable solution IMO.

giboz71

First Grade
Geez, this talk of comparable "offenses" is beyond weird. Reporting of such is only relevant to the situation at present and gains momentum based on prominence of the "game" at this time. The NRL is slated for a return to play in (approx 3 weeks) hence it is now attracting more headlines and scrutiny. The AFL, and other sports (albeit Rugby appears to have a start date now) don't, therefore they are of less importance as far as the media etc.
And what of other international sports such as NFL or EPL, they too have had "breaches" of protocols, yet they hold no prominence in the media reporting. These also have no slated restart date.

Lets face it NSW is a Rugby League state it is always going to report on incidences relevant to what is popular, particularly, with the restart happening.

I'd be more incline to compare sports once all have been given the green light to return to play.

Pretty much what I’ve been trying to say all along. If you put yourself out there as the only professional sport to be playing during a global pandemic, then you’re going to attract extra scrutiny.

And as OT says, what happens with other codes is irrelevant. And let’s face it, League has a history of atrocities from Julian O’Neill, Todd Carney, Matt Lodge, and 2 current players charged with rape. Like it or not, that makes the code a bigger target for the media.

If players stopped doing stupid and illegal shit, them it wouldn’t be reported and the code wouldn’t get picked on so much.

Pretty simple really.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The fact that the media might go light on other codes and players compared to RL is basically irrelevant.

The thing that is relevant is what was reported actually worthy of reporting.

To argue that RL incidents shouldn’t be reported on the basis that things from other sports are not is simply avoidance of bad behaviour.

The best way to be not reported is to be pretty much a clean skin and don’t do stupid dumb things.

Plenty of players can do that so it seems to be a reasonable solution IMO.
You're asking for every player to be well behaved. That will never happen. Seriously. The best we can do is to call out bs.

Even when they are well behaved, the media still look for dirt, embellish it or just make it up.

You're normally straight up OT, surely you are aware of how these things play out.

Old Timer

Coach
You're asking for every player to be well behaved. That will never happen. Seriously. The best we can do is to call out bs.

Even when they are well behaved, the media still look for dirt, embellish it or just make it up.

You're normally straight up OT, surely you are aware of how these things play out.
Willow
The point I am making is that what happens in other codes is irrelevant.

If there is press bias then there is press bias so be it but it doesn’t excuse bad behaviour.

Now no doubt the media are a pack of turds and try to create something out the the smallest thing so by all means call them out for that but not for “so called bias” on things that are worthy of reporting.

The NRL has some of the worst and dumbest journos I have ever seen so expecting something different from them is just foolishness.

As the mafia boss said to his prospective son in law “keep your nose clean and don’t f**k up”

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow
The point I am making is that what happens in other codes is irrelevant.

If there is press bias then there is press bias so be it but it doesn’t excuse bad behaviour.

Now no doubt the media are a pack of turds and try to create something out the the smallest thing so by all means call them out for that but not for “so called bias” on things that are worthy of reporting.

The NRL has some of the worst and dumbest journos I have ever seen so expecting something different from them is just foolishness.

As the mafia boss said to his prospective son in law “keep your nose clean and don’t f**k up”
No one is squeaky clean. You and I are dirty.

Compared to aussie rules, Rugby League has a good track record of dealing with issues.

TGGOA.

Old Timer

Coach
No one is squeaky clean. You and I are dirty.

Compared to aussie rules, Rugby League has a good track record of dealing with issues.

TGGOA.
You keep making it a RL v AFL issue when that is not the issue at all.

It’s about the media and the player and whether the issue gets reported.

The recent issues of reporting within AFL circles clearly highlight how their media also love to isolate and victimise certain people regardless of consequences of which I think Ben Cousins could also happily attest to.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You keep making it a RL v AFL issue when that is not the issue at all.

It’s about the media and the player and whether the issue gets reported.

The recent issues of reporting within AFL circles clearly highlight how their media also love to isolate and victimise certain people regardless of consequences of which I think Ben Cousins could also happily attest to.
That was a long post. But you didn't address my point.

Do you really think players can be 100% cleanskins?

I have issues with crap reporting, that's true.

Old Timer

Coach
That was a long post. But you didn't address my point.

Do you really think players can be 100% cleanskins?

I have issues with crap reporting, that's true.
Probably not but it is somewhat dependant on what reporters think is newsworthy (cringe) and what part of the news cycle they are in.
Much of what had been reported and was in actual fact newsworthy and the subsequent fallout from those events is what has helped create the news cycle they live in.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Probably not but it is somewhat dependant on what reporters think is newsworthy (cringe) and what part of the news cycle they are in.
Much of what had been reported and was in actual fact newsworthy and the subsequent fallout from those events is what has helped create the news cycle they live in.
So you accept that there'll always be players who muck up and reporters who chase the story. But let's face it, the players don't even have to muck up for there to be a story.

Can you see how they blow it out of proportion with NRL players? Particularly when there are other 'newsworthy' event that are getting less coverage?

Do you think a handful of players complaining about getting their flu shots is more 'newsworthy' than a team breaking distancing laws? In the latter case, the media won't even name the players involved.

Do you think players camping together is more 'newsworthy' than players partying, drink driving and smashing up cars? According to the news I watch, camping was far more irresponsible.

Can you see the imbalance?

FTR, I only watch national news (online and TV), I don't read much local news. On TV, I find ABC (channel 24) news covers national and international events well. My only criticism is they are based in Melbourne and have an AFL bias, which I doubt they are even aware of.