What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What ya cooking/baking?

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mussels is something I've never attempted to make, which is strange being a massive seafood lover.

They are one of the easiest things to cook/make, i usually just do a basic tomato sauce with tinned tomatoes, a bit of white wine, garlic, onion, chilli, bay leaves, and what herbs you want to chuck in[ usually just mixed herbs or oregano], after the mussels are bearded i steamed them open in a separate pan with white wine and once they open i pop them into the tomato sauce, the juice left over i strain and then pop it into the tomato sauce to heat through, sprinkle with some parsley when you serve and yummmm. Usually there is enough sauce left over and i will freeze it and make a prawn or seafood pasta with it.

jim_57

Staff member
They are one of the easiest things to cook/make, i usually just do a basic tomato sauce with tinned tomatoes, a bit of white wine, garlic, onion, chilli, bay leaves, and what herbs you want to chuck in[ usually just mixed herbs or oregano], after the mussels are bearded i steamed them open in a separate pan with white wine and once they open i pop them into the tomato sauce, the juice left over i strain and then pop it into the tomato sauce to heat through, sprinkle with some parsley when you serve and yummmm. Usually there is enough sauce left over and i will freeze it and make a prawn or seafood pasta with it.

I'll be giving ot a go one day, sounds pretty damn good!

jim_57

Staff member
Bibimbap (Korean Rice Bowl).

Marinated steak, zucchini, carrot, spinach, shitake, bean sprouts, white rice topped with a fried egg and spicy gochujang based sauce. A fair bit of effort preparing all the ingredients but pretty good result.

Bazal

Post Whore
Did a proper roast chook...thyme and rosemary butter under the skin, chunky onions and garlic with more herbs in the tray and used the juices with white wine to make a sauce.

With brussels sprouts roasted with garlic, fennel seeds & bacon bits, and potatoes carrots and baby onions roasted with garlic and rosemary.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Having roast chook in some form tomorrow, was a bit warm in Sydney tonight for a roast. Made risotto aribiata tonight, tomato, garlic, chilli and bacon, so much nicer making it with butter than margarine.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Did a proper roast chook...thyme and rosemary butter under the skin, chunky onions and garlic with more herbs in the tray and used the juices with white wine to make a sauce.

With brussels sprouts roasted with garlic, fennel seeds & bacon bits, and potatoes carrots and baby onions roasted with garlic and rosemary.

Doing roast chicken tonight, rubbed the chicken with olive oil and squeezed lemon juice over it ,put lemon in the chicken cavity put water in the bottom of on the pan and sprinkled just a bit of lemon pepper on the chicken, the liquid will make a nice gravy. Having roast potatoes, sweet potato,garlic, parsnip and carrot with it and peas.

AJB1102

First Grade
Doing roast chicken tonight, rubbed the chicken with olive oil and squeezed lemon juice over it ,put lemon in the chicken cavity put water in the bottom of on the pan and sprinkled just a bit of lemon pepper on the chicken, the liquid will make a nice gravy. Having roast potatoes, sweet potato,garlic, parsnip and carrot with it and peas.

Try a bit of preserved lemon in the cavity. Like 2 bits that shit is strong but I forgot fresh lemons once so tried that and never looked back.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Try a bit of preserved lemon in the cavity. Like 2 bits that shit is strong but I forgot fresh lemons once so tried that and never looked back.

Have done it with preserved lemon before but don't have preserved lemon here very often but 99% of the time have fresh lemons as better half loves eating them with a dash of salt. Yes agree about preserved lemon, they are strong and do pack a punch.

AJB1102

First Grade
Have done it with preserved lemon before but don't have preserved lemon here very often but 99% of the time have fresh lemons as better half loves eating them with a dash of salt. Yes agree about preserved lemon, they are strong and do pack a punch.

Yeah I usually buy them online as they're tough to find in the wild. I thinks its just lemons, salt and patience so I always think I should make my own but never do.

Also like to slice a lemon in about 3-4 chunks and sit the chook on top. The lemon roasts and caramelises to make an awesome roasted lemon pan gravy. Make sure they brown up and go gooey though or it will be sour and bittery.

Lemon with a dash of salt? Just missing the tequila!

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah I usually buy them online as they're tough to find in the wild. I thinks its just lemons, salt and patience so I always think I should make my own but never do.

Also like to slice a lemon in about 3-4 chunks and sit the chook on top. The lemon roasts and caramelises to make an awesome roasted lemon pan gravy. Make sure they brown up and go gooey though or it will be sour and bittery.

Lemon with a dash of salt? Just missing the tequila!

Used to buy preserved lemon at the Warriewood markets near Narrabeen from a lady called Emma who did jams, preserves and pickles and her company was called Cheeky Chops, I don't think she does the pickles and preserves any more, think she went into bread making.
Have done the chicken sometimes on top of sliced lemon as I love the lemony gravy it makes, I change the way I do chicken every time I do it but lemon is just about always used.

Hmmm , yes tequila :grinning:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just took the lemon out of the cavity before I put rest of the chicken away, one half of the lemon just looked and smelled beautiful so I just ate it, yummmm.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Baked leatherjacket with baked chat potatoes and steamed asparagus.

Bought two very good sized ocean jackets at the fish markets yesterday for a total of $2.62 .

horrie hastings

First Grade
Tuna Cannelloni , its a mess to assemble/ stuff the tubes etc and the finished product looks like a dogs breakfast but god our house hold loves it, it should take a pic next time when i take it out the oven, the taste belles what it looks like.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Had a bit of a birthday get together on the weekend so I fired up the smoker and made pulled pork, probably the best batch I’ve done so far. Got a whole shoulder and covered it in mustard and spice rub overnight, then smoked to an internal temp of 88c, spraying it with root beer every hour or so. Then pulled it out, wrapped in foil and teatowels and put it in an esky to rest, went to bed (as it was 2am) then took it out and pulled it in the morning to be served for lunch. Meat was so tender that the bones pulled out clean and it shredded perfectly with a couple of forks.
some pics:

F6447B04-27F4-4C2A-9312-B098FC03B8CD.jpeg 86F691EA-8667-4DE5-8150-F8AC0D23B54A.jpeg 0225DB78-1DDC-475C-9FD6-B6E1D56FE8E5.jpeg E8C57B08-6F50-4FAB-9F20-2AD90923A4D0.jpeg 3CB019DF-6002-4A5D-A02A-0BD0AAC9E995.jpeg

Latest posts