What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Cactus

Juniors

1) "expressing a willingness to walk away from the sport if he doesn't get the right deal"

2)
"
b75b3dbf53937113ebd5ecd5cba0d8726db2a2e0

Nine Entertainment Co chief executive Hugh Marks"

3) "It's not a given that NRL has to be part of our future,"

4) "It has to just pay its way like all of our content does, and if it doesn't, well ... again, we are less reliant on that as a revenue source.”

5) "that their investment is being used to prop up a potential bidder for future NRL rights"

6) "We know what the NRL needs"

7) "That can be facilitated through Nine and through Fox Sports and by us sort of supporting the nrl.com website"

Seven of the dumbest things I think I have ever read from an executive.

Notice how I left his photo in as point 2. Have a look at the bludger.....one of the dumbest things in the story.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Roy,
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...ure-in-tv-merry-go-round-20200506-p54qal.html

This story is all over the shop.
If Nine walk away early- contract law 101 says NRL will be awarded damages to the value of the contract amount +(plus interest) The NRL just need to solve this season and if they don't pay for the other 2 seasons, see you in court!

Wont happen, nine know they have a contract. All this posturing is about the things that they want:
1. Pay as little as possible this season
2. Get an extension with a new 5 year deal for less than they are paying now
3. Get rid of simucast with Fox
4. Take over th profit making NRL digital arm

Everything they are doing at the moment is just about achieving these things. It could come back to bite them if NRL has balls and there are serious competitors for the rights package post 2022. I could see FOx and Ch7 ior Ch10 teaming up and making a serious play with Fox getting everything simucast and ch10 getting a couple of games, origin and finals cheap. Fox need something if they are to survive the next 5-10 years. They may see this opportunity as the last throw of the dice.

Cactus

Juniors
Roy,
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...ure-in-tv-merry-go-round-20200506-p54qal.html

This story is all over the shop.
If Nine walk away early- contract law 101 says NRL will be awarded damages to the value of the contract amount +(plus interest) The NRL just need to solve this season and if they don't pay for the other 2 seasons, see you in court!

PRs take on this above looks right to me.

But I think what Masters was getting at in that story is that if 9 walk away it would be predicated on the notion that another FTA (lets say 10 since he mentions them) will take up the content on offer and if that turns out to be the case, then there is no need for the NRL to seek legal redress against 9.

That isn't an uncommon outcome with unfulfilled contracts....especially IF there is a specific clause re disputes that is somewhat questionable enough to been seen as a legal risk to fight over.

Starkers

Bench
I was reading Roy about the potential for FOX to go all in on NRL, offer Kayo as a FTA product for the 3 games per week and GF + Origin. Compelling strategy. Tbh it wouldn't bother me, so long as the value was there.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I'm thinking that's what they will do. Selling off to one Network as they have done the past maybe over.

I could see Fox going after NRL to help them with the otherside of their streaming service ie. HBO.

The benefit also for league is Fox will be big in the US with HBO and this will give the game mainstream exposure.

V'landys was in the USA about the time this deal was going on.

Could it all be connected?

Sell a couple of games to Nine or Ten. Afterall isn't Lachlan Murdoch involved with Ten?

Heisenberg

Juniors
I'm thinking that's what they will do. Selling off to one Network as they have done the past maybe over.

I could see Fox going after NRL to help them with the otherside of their streaming service ie. HBO.

The benefit also for league is Fox will be big in the US with HBO and this will give the game mainstream exposure.

V'landys was in the USA about the time this deal was going on.

Could it all be connected?

Sell a couple of games to Nine or Ten. Afterall isn't Lachlan Murdoch involved with Ten?

I’m pretty sure the Foxtel/HBO deal is only for the Australian rights. The articles I read on the matter were a little unclear how they’re going to use the content - ‘Binge’ and HBOmax both mentioned.

HBO is still owned by Warner Bros.

Kayo is extremely reliant on NRL content and they’ll be desperate to keep it. There will still need to be FTA broadcast

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I’m pretty sure the Foxtel/HBO deal is only for the Australian rights. The articles I read on the matter were a little unclear how they’re going to use the content - ‘Binge’ and HBOmax both mentioned.

HBO is still owned by Warner Bros.

Kayo is extremely reliant on NRL content and they’ll be desperate to keep it. There will still need to be FTA broadcast

Ok, then they will use the NRL digital to boost HBO. Double the attraction.

taipan

Referee
Would explain why News has been all over V'landys like a love sick puppy.

I'll be all over Vlad, if he gets us a decent Tv deal, under the current circumstances and doesn't sell off digital.
Conversely I'll never be all over News and their mob of journos.

colly

Juniors
I'll be all over Vlad, if he gets us a decent Tv deal, under the current circumstances and doesn't sell off digital.
Conversely I'll never be all over News and their mob of journos.
WTF I can't access the Sunday Telegragh story about NRL close to inking richest 2.3 billion deal? -

Anyone with a subscription?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
NRL set for massive payday in historic Foxtel, Nine broadcast deal

The NRL is on the verge of being saved from the financial scrapheap. The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Peter V’Landys is just days away from inking one of the richest deals in Australian sporting history with broadcasters Foxtel and Channel 9.

The cash-strapped NRL is just days away from securing a stunning new TV broadcast deal worth up to $2.3 billion, the richest in Australia’s sporting history.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Channel 9 and Fox Sports are on the verge of agreeing to a lucrative seven-year contract that will lift rugby league from a financial scrapheap, safeguard the game’s long-term viability and guarantee the survival of all 16 clubs.

Independent commission chairman Peter V’landys is hoping to reach an agreement in principal by Friday for the remaining three years of the current contract plus a four-season extension until 2027.

It would be the most lucrative broadcast deal in the history of Australian sport, averaging out at almost $330 million a season – a remarkable outcome given the long-term global financial uncertainty over the COVID-19 crisis.

The contract will be heavily discounted for this season because of the reduction to 20 rounds although the NRL is expecting ratings to increase because fans cannot attend the venues.

After weeks of uncertainty over Channel 9’s position with their free-to-air, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the network has been forced back into negotiations with an improved offer because of a fierce public backlash over their threats to abandon the game.

It is a spectacular backflip after expressing a willingness to walk away from the sport last week.

“It’s not a given that NRL has to be part of our future,” Marks said.

The finer details of the match scheduling for both networks is still being thrashed out.

There would be scope in the new contract to adjust the figures if future expansion into Brisbane and other areas delivers more content.

V’landys was reluctant to comment yesterday because of confidentiality agreements with both Fox Sports boss Patrick Delany and Channel 9 chief executive Hugh Marks.

“Both partners have acted in great faith and I believe we’re very close,” V’landys said.

“Hopefully we’ll have it finalised by next Friday. That’s my aim.

“The loyalty factor has been important because you want to look after your partners who have been with the game for a long time.”

The digital component of the deal and the future of the NRL website is still to be sorted.

Global Media and Sports boss Colin Smith has a long history in local and international broadcast deals. He says this is a great outcome for all parties.

“Peter V’landys has been the saviour of the NRL, no doubt for me,” Smith said.

“In this climate, if you ask what represents a good broadcast deal, I would say anything from $300 million to $350m a year is an excellent result.

“V’landys is a master negotiator, he is a street fighter and he is not afraid to take the bull by the horns. He looks at the outcome and he actually delivers on it.

“Seriously, if Peter can achieve in excess of $300 million, that is fantastic.”

The new TV contract will allow the NRL to establish a seven-year strategic plan, including grassroots development, long-term investments, possible expansion and a stadium policy for Sydney’s nine clubs.

V’landys has vowed to slash $50 million in costs from NRL headquarters and put spending restrictions in place for coaching, sports science and general football expenditure at the clubs.

This will allow the game rebuild from its ‘catastrophic’ financial crisis and ensure money is available from the new television deal to invest $500 million from the new deal over the next seven years.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/df84265d3d1c900850f0903b485a298d

NRL set for massive payday in historic Foxtel, Nine broadcast deal

The NRL is on the verge of being saved from the financial scrapheap. The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Peter V’Landys is just days away from inking one of the richest deals in Australian sporting history with broadcasters Foxtel and Channel 9.

The cash-strapped NRL is just days away from securing a stunning new TV broadcast deal worth up to $2.3 billion, the richest in Australia’s sporting history.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Channel 9 and Fox Sports are on the verge of agreeing to a lucrative seven-year contract that will lift rugby league from a financial scrapheap, safeguard the game’s long-term viability and guarantee the survival of all 16 clubs.

Independent commission chairman Peter V’landys is hoping to reach an agreement in principal by Friday for the remaining three years of the current contract plus a four-season extension until 2027.

It would be the most lucrative broadcast deal in the history of Australian sport, averaging out at almost $330 million a season – a remarkable outcome given the long-term global financial uncertainty over the COVID-19 crisis.

The contract will be heavily discounted for this season because of the reduction to 20 rounds although the NRL is expecting ratings to increase because fans cannot attend the venues.

After weeks of uncertainty over Channel 9’s position with their free-to-air, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the network has been forced back into negotiations with an improved offer because of a fierce public backlash over their threats to abandon the game.

It is a spectacular backflip after expressing a willingness to walk away from the sport last week.

“It’s not a given that NRL has to be part of our future,” Marks said.

The finer details of the match scheduling for both networks is still being thrashed out.

There would be scope in the new contract to adjust the figures if future expansion into Brisbane and other areas delivers more content.

V’landys was reluctant to comment yesterday because of confidentiality agreements with both Fox Sports boss Patrick Delany and Channel 9 chief executive Hugh Marks.

“Both partners have acted in great faith and I believe we’re very close,” V’landys said.

“Hopefully we’ll have it finalised by next Friday. That’s my aim.

“The loyalty factor has been important because you want to look after your partners who have been with the game for a long time.”

The digital component of the deal and the future of the NRL website is still to be sorted.

Global Media and Sports boss Colin Smith has a long history in local and international broadcast deals. He says this is a great outcome for all parties.

“Peter V’landys has been the saviour of the NRL, no doubt for me,” Smith said.

“In this climate, if you ask what represents a good broadcast deal, I would say anything from $300 million to $350m a year is an excellent result.

“V’landys is a master negotiator, he is a street fighter and he is not afraid to take the bull by the horns. He looks at the outcome and he actually delivers on it.

“Seriously, if Peter can achieve in excess of $300 million, that is fantastic.”

The new TV contract will allow the NRL to establish a seven-year strategic plan, including grassroots development, long-term investments, possible expansion and a stadium policy for Sydney’s nine clubs.

V’landys has vowed to slash $50 million in costs from NRL headquarters and put spending restrictions in place for coaching, sports science and general football expenditure at the clubs.

This will allow the game rebuild from its ‘catastrophic’ financial crisis and ensure money is available from the new television deal to invest $500 million from the new deal over the next seven years.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/df84265d3d1c900850f0903b485a298d
No money left for union

Starkers

Bench
Not sure what to think until we see more details. I like the stability factor, but it still feels as though the game is being short changed.

If we go this way, growing non-broadcast revenue will be of huge importance.

cleary89

Coach
What was the old deal? 2bn over 5?

2.3 over 7 doesn't seem too good... Need to keep nrl.com and not just give it to 9.