What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Saxon

Bench
Agree with this. What are we missing? Why is the NRL digital arm apparently so valuable?
Several reasons;
- Because Free-to-air television is slowly dying. Ratings are decreasing, advertising revenue is decreasing.
- "Traditional" pay tv is dying. More quickly than FTA. Foxtel is haemorrhaging money without sport to broadcast, but even with it revenue is shrinking rapidly.
- As the future appears now, streaming and digital platforms are seen as the major viewing and income source for sports.

We all think now, that our'broadcast partners' have too much control over the game. How bad will it be if we sell off our only other (and likely soon to be major) broadcast revenue source?

Exactly. I mean how many of you say 10 years ago would have said a streaming service like Netflix would be a big, profitable business?

The NRL would be stupid to sell it off to Channel Nine, or Fox, as it would just ensure the continued dependence on them, and they would reap the monetary benefits which may come from streaming. I mean seriously, how many people here have said they would ditch Foxtel or Kayo if they could stream direct from the NRL?

siv

First Grade
Exactly. I mean how many of you say 10 years ago would have said a streaming service like Netflix would be a big, profitable business?

The NRL would be stupid to sell it off to Channel Nine, or Fox, as it would just ensure the continued dependence on them, and they would reap the monetary benefits which may come from streaming. I mean seriously, how many people here have said they would ditch Foxtel or Kayo if they could stream direct from the NRL?

All of those who can get unlimited data

Those that can't are stuffed

Valheru

Coach

I think a centralised streaming service or two I.e. kayo and optus sports are the future. You might get a few on here that would ditch them for a direct NRL service but most people enjoy more than one sport.

Pommy

Coach
All of those who can get unlimited data

Those that can't are stuffed

who can’t get unlimited data? Even if someone in the arse end of the world can’t that’s not enough to hold everyone else back. Presumably at some point these people couldn’t get TV signals either.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Several reasons;

- As the future appears now, streaming and digital platforms are seen as the major viewing and income source for sports.

We all think now, that our'broadcast partners' have too much control over the game. How bad will it be if we sell off our only other (and likely soon to be major) broadcast revenue source?

I genuinely would like to know how and why you think this is going to be the case. To be the major source they would need to generate, and I'll split equal here, over 100M a year. Where is this money coming from? You simply won't get 1M households paying $100 a year.

It's a myth that digital will ever be the major or even a significant income source.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why all the concern about the digital rights? Is it because of the fact the websites for clubs will all be generic? Cause they already are. Or because of a potential loss of revenue from the streaming rights? Because they would be worth a pittance.

I'm just going to compare the NRL to the WWE to have a look at streaming. The NRL has 67k subscriber, and NRL on Nine has 100k subscribers to their YouTube channels. WWE has 59.6M. The WWE has an online streaming service, that offers everything they have ever done. Every single weekly show, every pay-per-view, as well as content from other companies that have since gone bust. They do this for US$10.99 per month (about $18AUD). And they have less than 1.5M subscribers to that service. And they are a worldwide brand.

I just don't think it's anywhere near the potential money spinning venture that people make it out to be. Especially when you have Kayo for $25 a month and I don't doubt, for a second, that Foxtel aren't going to fight tooth and nail to make sure they can still offer that service. Especially when it's Foxtel that are the major contributors in the rights deal.

3 main reasons
1. Quality of media and stories about nrl. With its own digital arm nrl can push out its own positive stories to balance the constant negative main stream ones
2. It is making $12million profit a year and growing
3. It gives a future option for streaming own content and direct sales Avenue, if nothing else this will keep fta and fox honest in their negotiations with this threat hanging over them.

Not to mention the nrl has invested $100mill in it , it is the only major asset they have

if Vlandys dumps it he wants shooting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Key points:
  • Seven year contract, agreement in principal by Friday
  • Average ~$330m/season
  • Heavy discount for 2020 due to COVID-enforced reduction
  • Channel 9 "forced back into negotiations with an improved offer" due to fierce public backlash over [Nine boss] Marks' comments about willingness to walk away.
  • Finer details still to be thrashed out (e.g. schedling)
  • Scope to adjust $$$ if expansion happens
  • Digital component & NRL website "still to be sorted"
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/df84265d3d1c900850f0903b485a298d

And here we hav the reason nrl will always be treated like sht by its media partners. $’s are ok, about same as now but to extend without going to open tender smacks of lack of faith in your product, and tv knows it. Welcome to 7 more years of mediocrity. I guess we now have confirmed why the media were loving Vlandys so much.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
This year was $334.6mill which includes nz, radio and any other overseas deals

so on par or just slightly above what they are being paid by nine and fox

for that to occur I’m afraid they have sold nrl and overseas digital rights which was really the way the game was to grow and we will be still under the thumb of news and nine

What's the chance that the digital arm will be 51/49 nrl & 9 .
If selling part of it is a deal clencher then the nrl must have the majority ownership .

maccattack

Juniors
Why all the concern about the digital rights? Is it because of the fact the websites for clubs will all be generic? Cause they already are. Or because of a potential loss of revenue from the streaming rights? Because they would be worth a pittance.

I'm just going to compare the NRL to the WWE to have a look at streaming. The NRL has 67k subscriber, and NRL on Nine has 100k subscribers to their YouTube channels. WWE has 59.6M. The WWE has an online streaming service, that offers everything they have ever done. Every single weekly show, every pay-per-view, as well as content from other companies that have since gone bust. They do this for US$10.99 per month (about $18AUD). And they have less than 1.5M subscribers to that service. And they are a worldwide brand.

I just don't think it's anywhere near the potential money spinning venture that people make it out to be. Especially when you have Kayo for $25 a month and I don't doubt, for a second, that Foxtel aren't going to fight tooth and nail to make sure they can still offer that service. Especially when it's Foxtel that are the major contributors in the rights deal.
If it was worth pittance, 9 would not be interested in it.

maccattack

Juniors
Seriously. Given the value of the NRL to broadcasters, the mind boggles at how they constantly trash the game.
Surely it is in their interest to promote the hell out of it and protect their "investment" once the money is paid and squeeze every drop of juice out of it . Like how about showing more content in Melbourne.

Latest posts