What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

horrie hastings

First Grade
Have they disco'd the Aradon?

F***********ck I better got buy a dozen for old times sake

Walked into the Liqourland at Maroubra Jct today just to check whether they had the Wirra Wirra Church Block 4 for $40 but couldn't see it, they had Aradon on the shelf but no clearance ticket, not sure whether they missed putting it up or not, place was too packed for me to ask for a price check.The d'Arenberg Stump Jump is another one discontinued, currently at $9 a bottle.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah not crappy but have plenty of bubbles without paying $45 for another one.

Yeah that's fair. I've got a bit of champagne but not much to drink now.

I've actually gotta get into a 2006 Gimonnet Fleuron Blanc de Blancs. Still have six from when the blue shirts went balls to wall crazy. Not sure LL ever had it. Pretty sure with the buy two get one free and the sale price they came down to well under $30....just as a reference point they're going for $115 these days with smaller retailers online for the 2008. Need to see how it's going, it's an absolutely magic wine. I converted my partners rich aunt off Veuve Vintage with a single glass...

I also have five bottles of Pol Roger Blancs de Blanc. I never paid a cent for the six pack, it got sent by Negs instead of the Vintage on an order and wasn't on file for us. When the rep came in I mentioned it, he grabbed my keys off me, took it to my car, put it in the boot and told me "I don't wanna f**ken deal with it, here's a credit note."

Things used to be good...haha

horrie hastings

First Grade
I also have five bottles of Pol Roger Blancs de Blanc. I never paid a cent for the six pack, it got sent by Negs instead of the Vintage on an order and wasn't on file for us. When the rep came in I mentioned it, he grabbed my keys off me, took it to my car, put it in the boot and told me "I don't wanna f**ken deal with it, here's a credit note."

Things used to be good...haha

Ha ha, that is great and yes some things were good back then. We have had a few cases which arent on file for us which came in from DC at the time which were either Vintage Cellars or First Choice wines, a case of de iuliis chardonnay from the Hunter found a good home :D, another one Loop Hole sav blanc, was skeptical when i read South Eastern Australia on the label, took one home, as i thought, absolute cats piss, i wouldn't even cook with it, retails for $12 a bottle at First Choice. There is a case of Deep Woods Chardonnay buried out in the back stock room which is not on file.

Bazal

Post Whore
Ha ha, that is great and yes some things were good back then. We have had a few cases which arent on file for us which came in from DC at the time which were either Vintage Cellars or First Choice wines, a case of de iuliis chardonnay from the Hunter found a good home :D, another one Loop Hole sav blanc, was skeptical when i read South Eastern Australia on the label, took one home, as i thought, absolute cats piss, i wouldn't even cook with it, retails for $12 a bottle at First Choice. There is a case of Deep Woods Chardonnay buried out in the back stock room which is not on file.

Deep Woods is a corker. If it ever needs to find a home... :p

Reps used to give me so much stuff. Coles themselves actually started putting the screws on them to stop, which was ridiculous.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Deep Woods is a corker. If it ever needs to find a home... :p

Reps used to give me so much stuff. Coles themselves actually started putting the screws on them to stop, which was ridiculous.

Yes i keep on looking at the Deep Woods but as the stock levels for our wines decrease out the back the box has become more exposed so i'm sure the manager will find it and try to work out why it doesn't scan :(

Yep about the reps, used to get so much stuff from them especially at Quaffers, had a few things from them in the early days at Liqourland but it all dried up.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
To offset the disgraceful discussions of lager (I kid, mostly), I've cracked one of my remaining dozen cans of Descent 19

Tell you what, not sure if it's settled or if it's my own palate after drinking four Teelings (most likely a little of both) but man this stuff is drinking like chocolate butter. It literally tastes like when your mum was making a good chocolate cake, and she'd melt chocolate and butter together and you'd sneak a spoonful. Ridiculous beer.
I've got half a dozen left, the 2020 release should be just a month away

Bazal

Post Whore
Been here a while but there is a dedicated Wine thread, just got way off topic, also just picked up a 4 pack of Young Henry's 'Motorcycle Oil ' Hoppy Porter, will report on it after visiting Mother.

This is the FFB. It might be a desert these days, but the main tenets are the same

There is no such thing as on topic tbf

horrie hastings

First Grade
Ninth Island Pinot Grigio, another Liqourland 4 for$40. Says we had 6 bottles still in stock but couldn't actually find a spot for it in the Pinot Grigio/Gris section and a quick glance in the stockroom couldn't see it, will pull the stock room apart when next on to find if we do have it, $19 a bottle at First Choice or around $25 else where.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Bought a 4 pack of Young Henry's 'Motorcycle Oil' Hoppy Porter today, from an Independent bottle shop so a little pricey at $20 for four cans, 5.5% but not over powering in the alcohol department, not that hoppy despite the description and rather nice to drink without that roasty black malt characteristics from a Stout.

Bazal

Post Whore
Not a bad beer.

Unrelated except by name but I used to fking love the Harviestoun Old Engine Oil back when you could regularly get the stuff. I don't even think anywhere in C-Brah carries it now.

Bazal

Post Whore
FFS I just jumped on the VC website to refamiliarise myself with the cheapies...

You've got The Musician Cab Shiraz for $15 bucks in a six what on earth would you want overcooked Cab Sav for?

Bazal

Post Whore
For my Mum, I’m not that concerned what I drink but that’s what she loves.

Obviously you aren't I remember you drinking a high end Tempus Two :p

Not sure about jammy.....but I remember the Zilzie reasonably cheap black label actually being really nice for the money and very fruit driven. I do think the Coles Mildara stuff was quite jammy, but good for the money.

Sisters Run and Earthworks are both good quality fruit driven wines. Maybe a Taylors? They're basically jam makers.

Bazal

Post Whore
2008 Pizzini Nebbiolo. Dedicated to @Drew-Sta cos I might be a merkin, but I try to be decent merkin and wish he would come back to mafia.

It's a problem when you have so much wine you forget about it. And I did forget about this. Winemaker recommends cellaring until 2018, which you may note is actually in the past...oops. It was in one of the wine fridges though

The cork fell apart too. Another great sign. But Nebbiolo is renowned for just powering through years and years of mishaps.

Colour is good. Bricky, but clear and bright. Smells like tomatoes and balsamic. But I let it sit for while...the tomato stays, but it gets loads of tobacco too. Leaf tobacco, like a proper hand-rolled cigar. Cloves. Kind of halfway between plums and really ripe cherries, but quickly turning to raisin. After some air the fruit gets more raisin and less fresh, but it also develops a kind of beefy bresaola gamey character and some minerally graphite or slate. And some forest and herb characters.

It's so Italian, even though it's grown four hours drive from my house. I often get a strong tobacco note from King Valley reds and I wonder if it's just the style, or if the old tobacco farming land influences the wine?

Anyway this could easily pass for a ripe Barolo. They've done a magnificent job of it and I think I'm due a trip back, when we can.