What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Assistance To Settle a Dispute

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I also was under the impression that it was Price , I am sure that he rammed his knee into Shulman’s back or thereabouts .

On a side note I was at the same school as Ray Price - Cumberland High at Carlingford . The school had one of the best teams going around packed with some real outstanding young blokes , many of which went on to play grade footy with both league and Union clubs . Undoubtedly however Ray Price was the best the school ever had , a product of Dundas Valley Rugby Union club .

All in all it was a shame for Shulman to be injured as I don’t know if he ever made a complete recovery from the injury .

Good post, G67.
From a non bias point of view, l always held Price in high regard as quality player but that did not discount him from being dirty. If my memory serves me correct, l can recall many stories of Pricey about being very dirty at times. Not unlike Craig Young, as good as he was, he mixed it with them, although probably not as deliberate as Price and some of the Manly forwards.

Craig was often good for a good clean stiff arm, purely from an introductory purpose.
That being said, he was known to re-introduce himself to the opposing forward when the time called.

BLM01

First Grade
A mate is trying to tell me former 70s winger John Chapman was also a gun goalkicker as I beggar to differ.

If anyone can remember the day Saints lost 1-0 to Newtown during the 1970s I’m certain John Chapman missed 7 attempts at goal that day!! Can someone confirm this fun fact..
Thanks..
I remember him kicking a goal from about 51 mettres out at Kogarah. (yards/ whatever just the other side of halfway was then)...and it was about halfway between the middle and sideline...thats all I have got

TruSaint

Referee
Good post, G67.
From a non bias point of view, l always held Price in high regard as quality player but that did not discount him from being dirty. If my memory serves me correct, l can recall many stories of Pricey about being very dirty at times. Not unlike Craig Young, as good as he was, he mixed it with them, although probably not as deliberate as Price and some of the Manly forwards.

Craig was often good for a good clean stiff arm, purely from an introductory purpose.
That being said, he was known to re-introduce himself to the opposing forward when the time called.

Yeah, Young was one tough MF.
Rocket had a different reputation.

sexy-vampire-womans-red-bloody-260nw-1511435513.jpg

RedVee

First Grade
It's amazing how many people have similar stories, and how many wanted to see Ray Higgs harmed in some way. There was a passion about it.

It has been suggested that the knee incident was retaliation for what Reddy etc were doing to the Parra forwards. But the fans saw it much differently.

The effect of this must have resonated with the players as well, which explains why Harry Bath used Bantam to rev-up the fans and players on match day.

yeah Willow, I Think I thought it was Higgs at first but changed my mind after the replay watching Rocket go after Price.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Oh, I agree.

Rocket was the centre of attention, but to a 14 year old, he was untouchable lol.
He was no angel, but tough as nails.

Im pretty sure it was his offload that led to Lord teds miracle try. Thats why I have Teddy as my avatar. Its a try I will never forget.

'Tears of blood".
I assume your avatar was something you found online years ago? I recognised it the first time you put it on. I scanned it and uploaded it to Jubilee Ave about 15+ years ago. Cover of Rugby League Week. Remember seeing it in the newsagent in '77 and bought it. Magnificent photo.

Memories of the mighty Saints.

TruSaint

Referee
I assume your avatar was something you found online years ago? I recognised it the first time you put it on. I scanned it and uploaded it to Jubilee Ave about 15+ years ago. Cover of Rugby League Week. Remember seeing it in the newsagent and bought it. Magnificent photo.

Memories of the mighty Saints.

1977_goodwin_rlw_0.jpg

@Willow , correct me if Im wrong, but this is Lord Ted, not wanting to leave the field after that try.

Prior to this moment, I was a supporter. Post it I was a tragic. I wont ever forget it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yeah Willow, I Think I thought it was Higgs at first but changed my mind after the replay watching Rocket go after Price.
I was in the Brewongle Stand that day. It was a tough game and a lot of 'niggle', putting a kind word on it. I really can't say for sure what happened as you're never close to the action at the SCG. For all its great heritage, the SCG isn't the best ground for watching Rugby League.

But word quickly spread that it was Higgs, and I recall that's how it was reported the next day. Perhaps the rumour became media 'fact'.

I don't recall any official report or review from the NSWRL, that really wasn't how things were done in those days. If the referee took no action, then what happened on the field, stayed on the field. Apparently it didn't warrant any further investigation, that being the attitude of the day. But I believe it all but ended Shulman's career, don't think he played too many games after that.

That said, I'd be interested in having another look at the game.

43 years later the matter remains unresolved, and still fiercely debated in the midst of a global pandemic and consequent financial meltdown.

“Hard core” is an understatement and an almost timid description.

I remember that “ skull” guy because we were stuck near him once and mate said “ keep clear and don’t upset him”

Steelers v St George game.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
43 years later the matter remains unresolved, and still fiercely debated in the midst of a global pandemic and consequent financial meltdown.

“Hard core” is an understatement and an almost timid description.

I remember that “ skull” guy because we were stuck near him once and mate said “ keep clear and don’t upset him”

Steelers v St George game. Sgi won.
Fiercely debated?

I think we're just trying to work out which 'Ray' kneed Shulman in the back.

And to a lesser degree, who was the Phantom Biter? Most accept that it was Rod Reddy. Robert Stone 'admitted' to it, although it's likely he was shit stirring. John Jansen was mentioned as well.

Personally, I think the Phantom Biter is a composite character based on legend, much like Robin Hood.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
lol the fox.

Mathew Ridge was a fair exponent of the knee in the back. Cowards play.

Far happier with the odd uppercut in the scrum, I don’t know why, but it just seems more honourable!

True that, mate.

lf your going to fight, look your opponent in the eye and go for it.......not knee someone from behind, it’s a gutless way of doing business..... something Melbourne perfected. ( Slater, Smith )

Old Timer

Coach
John Chapman kicked the goal that mattered in 1977.

In the first grand final, Teddy Goodwin won the race for the ball and scored just inside the dead ball line, but knocked himself out in the process. Goodwin was our regular kicker, but could take no further part in the match. Chapman lined up and it was a successful conversion, giving us a 9-0 lead at half time. It would prove to be the most important goal of the season.

Parramatta came back in the second half to make it 9-all, with both Chapman and Cronin missing goals. It's now history that the scores remained deadlocked after extra time. A grand final replay was booked for the week after, and we won that convincingly 22-0.
I remember in extra time in the drawn GF Tony Quirk had a shot at field goal and hit the up right just above the cross bar.

Old Timer

Coach
I also was under the impression that it was Price , I am sure that he rammed his knee into Shulman’s back or thereabouts .

On a side note I was at the same school as Ray Price - Cumberland High at Carlingford . The school had one of the best teams going around packed with some real outstanding young blokes , many of which went on to play grade footy with both league and Union clubs . Undoubtedly however Ray Price was the best the school ever had , a product of Dundas Valley Rugby Union club .

All in all it was a shame for Shulman to be injured as I don’t know if he ever made a complete recovery from the injury .
I agree it was Price that kneed Bantam.

In the replay Cook (the ref) told Reddy he had 10 minutes to square up and Rocket gave it to Price for what looked like 30 minutes.

Higgs had vowed he wouldn’t get drawn into any brawling / niggly tactics (Fearnley instructions I believe) so the young St George pack set upon him to put him off his game and succeeded.

Watched those games in front of the Brewongle in my white T Shirt with my iron on dragon transfer courtesy of the daily mirror centre page insert.

Gareth67

First Grade
Good post, G67.

Thanks OKI , I know for a fact that he had a bag of tricks although he was a naturally gifted footballer he still enjoyed the niggle .

In my first year at Cumberland he hopped onto the school bus at Telopea and walked up the aisle looking left and right until his eyes fell upon me - bearing in mind I had a beautiful crop of curly black hair in those days and he thought that I was an Italian or whatever .

He then shoved this little hot pepper in my mouth and said “ eat that you little Mediterranean Descendant “ . From that moment I hated the bloke and took great delight when some years later a mate of mine smacked him in the face .

But getting back on track , yes Craig Young knew about the ‘ accidental ‘ stiff-arm and used it occasionally. Use to love those block busting runs of his when he would go straight through opposing forward packs and came out on the other side with a bewildered look on his face - almost reading his thoughts “ did I do that ? “

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth, you may have been at school with a cousin or 3 of mine if you are up around Rays age. My cousins would be around 62 - 64 yo.
An ex boss of mine was there as well I believe.
PM me if you like.

Shall do just that Redvee , you have me curious as there is a very good chance that I or my brothers would had known them . I shall drop you a line tomorrow sometime.

Latest posts