What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why do so long an extension in the most uncertain of times?

Through to end of 2026... is Foxtel still going to be around then?

Billythekid

First Grade
I can understand why they would go with this, the landscape for sport going forward is very uncertain. At the same time I can’t help but think we’re seriously rushing into this in a major moment of weakness and that can only lead to us being short changed.

Also I just can’t believe that we’re continuing to hitch ourselves to nine without seriously looking at going elsewhere. They’ve f**ked out game for decades now and that’s set to continue.

1) "expressing a willingness to walk away from the sport if he doesn't get the right deal"

2)
"
b75b3dbf53937113ebd5ecd5cba0d8726db2a2e0

Nine Entertainment Co chief executive Hugh Marks"

3) "It's not a given that NRL has to be part of our future,"

4) "It has to just pay its way like all of our content does, and if it doesn't, well ... again, we are less reliant on that as a revenue source.”

5) "that their investment is being used to prop up a potential bidder for future NRL rights"

6) "We know what the NRL needs"

7) "That can be facilitated through Nine and through Fox Sports and by us sort of supporting the nrl.com website"

Seven of the dumbest things I think I have ever read from an executive.

Notice how I left his photo in as point 2. Have a look at the bludger.....one of the dumbest things in the story.

I prefer to call him by a more appropriate name, that Roy and HG use.

Skid Marks

taipan

Referee
Look at it this way, we have certainty for a longer time.If Foxtel are in strife,their parent body will ensure contract monies are paid. I am not a fan of Rupert, but he does pay his bills.
Channel 9.If they are unable to pay ,it means both 9 and their SMH are well and truly stuffed.The majority of the money comes from Fox.

Other codes like union are in sh*tter's ditch with no Tv deals,.A League not much better, and the AFL having to face cuts and their TV station losing a kings ransom.

No good going short term, if in 12 months things get worse ,they sure as hell won't get better.The money we get now and for long term ,will not be available for other competing codes.
Don't think the deal has been rushed, it's been played out for too long mainly by skid Marks.

$2.3m over 7 years approx $328m pa, whereas we were being paid $360m pa up to 2022.Dropping 8.88% with the economy the way it is now, and for the longer terms a better drop than I anticipated.I thought we'd be lucky to crack $300m pa with TV the way it is.
You can plan development, expansion when you have long term revenue in place, and we're all calling out for expansion.

Get to the cookie cupboard first ,pick the good stuff, and leave the left overs for other sto sh*t fight over the scraps.
NB If I had a choice would have loved to have told Nein to get knotted.

typicalfan

Coach
I can understand why they would go with this, the landscape for sport going forward is very uncertain. At the same time I can’t help but think we’re seriously rushing into this in a major moment of weakness and that can only lead to us being short changed.

Also I just can’t believe that we’re continuing to hitch ourselves to nine without seriously looking at going elsewhere. They’ve f**ked out game for decades now and that’s set to continue.
Showing loyalty isn't a bad thing and looking at the ch 7 cricket coverage, it quite frankly sucks. Showing solidarity in a crisis is top marks imo.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Secured Money in the bank is always a good thing, until we see what has been conceded to achieve the money we won’t know if it’s a good deal or not. 7 more years of Ch9 mediocrity sucks though, not to mention giving them a leg up after they publicly shat all over the game last few weeks leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

taipan

Referee
If the figures advised by the Telecrap are near the mark,the way I see it:-
The remaining 3 years 2020-22 $360m pa or total $1.08bn not knowing what 2020 will bring in
The extension 2023-2026 then to make a total deal of $2.3bn , is $1.22bn or $305m pa

So in effect we have financially dropped for the 4 years 2023-2026 the difference between our current $360m pa down to $305m pa = $55m pa
or 15.2% of the current annual deal.

In view of the economy and particularly Tv industry poor situation,I thought it would be at least 25-30% drop.$55m drop would be well within the H/O cost reductions Vlad the Impaler is looking at.

We can rationally argue the rights or wrongs of a 4 year extension, but when your warchest and asset base (except Digital) is SFA, getting financially certainty for more time, and who knows the 2026 Tv situation will be, doing the deal at the above level(provided no sale of digital)seems reasonable.

IMO it's also easier to future plan on extension and development ,when you have deals locked into place, and when you need to get that $200m Future Fund behind you as security.

The question on everybody's lips, will Buzz take a 15.2% salary drop?

Agree having 7 years of some of the drones in the 9 commentary box and the sideline male ockers is going to test a lot of viewers' patience.7 Years of Gus and his negatives ,is testing sanity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL POISED TO SEAL SEVEN YEAR $2.3 BILLION BROADCAST DEAL

The NRL expects to sign off on one of the longest broadcast deals in Australian sport within days, reportedly set to net the cash-strapped organisation close to $2.3 billion.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has told News Corp that his aim is to reach an agreement on a seven-year deal with Nine and Foxtel by Friday. The revamped contract would cover the remaining three years of the NRL’s existing deal - which is $1.8 billion for 2018-2022 - plus a four-season extension until the end of 2026.

“Both partners have acted in great faith and I believe we’re very close... The loyalty factor has been important because you want to look after your partners who have been with the game for a long time,” V’landys said. The renegotiated deal would secure the NRL’s long-term financial viability and should guarantee the future of all 16 clubs, amid the uncertainty of the COVID-19 crisis.

The annual payments would include a discounted rate for 2020 due to the shortened 20-round regular-season campaign, which is planned to restart without fans on May 28.

The developments are a huge boost for the NRL after Nine CEO Hugh Marks recently declared it wasn’t a “given” that rugby league was a part of the network’s future.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7bae6ff7205c512f3d9caeebeff2e677

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the figures advised by the Telecrap are near the mark,the way I see it:-
The remaining 3 years 2020-22 $360m pa or total $1.08bn not knowing what 2020 will bring in
The extension 2023-2026 then to make a total deal of $2.3bn , is $1.22bn or $305m pa

So in effect we have financially dropped for the 4 years 2023-2026 the difference between our current $360m pa down to $305m pa = $55m pa
or 15.2% of the current annual deal.

In view of the economy and particularly Tv industry poor situation,I thought it would be at least 25-30% drop.$55m drop would be well within the H/O cost reductions Vlad the Impaler is looking at.

We can rationally argue the rights or wrongs of a 4 year extension, but when your warchest and asset base (except Digital) is SFA, getting financially certainty for more time, and who knows the 2026 Tv situation will be, doing the deal at the above level(provided no sale of digital)seems reasonable.

IMO it's also easier to future plan on extension and development ,when you have deals locked into place, and when you need to get that $200m Future Fund behind you as security.

The question on everybody's lips, will Buzz take a 15.2% salary drop?

Agree having 7 years of some of the drones in the 9 commentary box and the sideline male ockers is going to test a lot of viewers' patience.7 Years of Gus and his negatives ,is testing sanity.

As always devil will be in the detail like how much is contra ($24mill last year) etc. last years cash Australian tv revenue was around $314mill.
no way Vlad is finding $50mill in HQ savings unless he is giving up the digital expenditure or massively cutting grassroots/state funding.

Diesel

Referee
As long as the NRL digital rights aren’t signed away, this is a good thing to have stability. Wonder what AFL is going to take from 7/Fox

Heisenberg

Juniors
I’d love to give Nine the flick as much as the next person, but I think security over the next seven years is huge.

be very interested to see what the scheduling looks like. NRL might have gained more control for giving up dollars? Crowd killing time slots need to go.

In reality the NRL digital subscription Would have been unlikely to get off the ground for a few years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To accept less money, they better have got rid of Thursday night's. I won't hold my breath though.

only hope of that is if Ch9 are only going to show 2 games a week but that would be sht for fans who can’t afford fox. Only way Fox May accept losing simucast is if they had 6 of 8 games. Nine wanted end of simucast and end of Friday 6pm games. Be very interesting to see if they got their wish and what Fox want in return.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Not sure what to think until we see more details. I like the stability factor, but it still feels as though the game is being short changed.

If we go this way, growing non-broadcast revenue will be of huge importance.

As Roy Masters always says, the devil is in the detail.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Presuming contra is in same range as now, the new deal is reported to be worth around $307mill a year ex contra. Current deal would have been worth around $338.5 ex contra in the final year. We’ve signed up to over $30mill a year less for 7 years, could cost us even more if we lost the profit making digital arm in the process!

Latest posts