What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stefano Utoikamanu, Jake Simpkin & Shawn Blore

The unknown

Juniors
Shawn Blore is a huge talent but is coming of a knee reconstruction, hasn’t yet played at NRL level so he it yet to prove himself at the highest level. I hope he is a gun for you guys I always hope our juniors do well when they move on from us for whatever reason. In this case it it purely about greater opportunities so I really hope he makes the transition.

Realistically do you reckon he would have played 1st grade at Penrith this year?

He’d be behind Fisher Harris, Kikau and Ye’o I think for starters unsure of other possibilities. Madge isn’t afraid to throw youngsters into the deep end that’s for sure

Kilkenny

Coach
Realistically do you reckon he would have played 1st grade at Penrith this year?

He’d be behind Fisher Harris, Kikau and Ye’o I think for starters unsure of other possibilities. Madge isn’t afraid to throw youngsters into the deep end that’s for sure

No he wouldn’t have which is why he has chosen to go to you guys where he has a better opportunity of commencing his NRL career. We are happy to give young kids there opportunity it was just the fact he was 6th or 7th in line for a back row position so when the opportunity came up with the Tigers our club chose not to stand in his way which is to there credit. I think he has the potential to be a quality NRL player, of that there is no doubt but we are stacked in his position and he would have had to wait until 2021 at the very earliest to debut so i can’t blame him for looking for a better opportunity and he has that now so good luck to him and good luck to your club.

The unknown

Juniors
No he wouldn’t have which is why he has chosen to go to you guys where he has a better opportunity of commencing his NRL career. We are happy to give young kids there opportunity it was just the fact he was 6th or 7th in line for a back row position so when the opportunity came up with the Tigers our club chose not to stand in his way which is to there credit. I think he has the potential to be a quality NRL player, of that there is no doubt but we are stacked in his position and he would have had to wait until 2021 at the very earliest to debut so i can’t blame him for looking for a better opportunity and he has that now so good luck to him and good luck to your club.

Yeah fair enough, and coming back from an ACL injury would have pushed him down the pecking order at pennies a stretch.

Would have been a gamble for you guys to keep him, but it’s more like a why not signing for us because it’s not like we have a bunch of rep forwards in his road. Anyways potentially good signing, if it fails well we didn’t break the bank on him

axl rose

Bench
I can just imagine rhyno on a Sunday night at 10:30pm, probably 8 cans deep, tossing up whether he wants to whack one out or post a one liner on the tigers forum
tenor.gif

Kilkenny

Coach
Yeah fair enough, and coming back from an ACL injury would have pushed him down the pecking order at pennies a stretch.

Would have been a gamble for you guys to keep him, but it’s more like a why not signing for us because it’s not like we have a bunch of rep forwards in his road. Anyways potentially good signing, if it fails well we didn’t break the bank on him

Let’s be clear we didn’t want him to leave. At the same time we didn’t stand in his way when a better opportunity came along. Nothing to do with money I’m sure he is on a modest deal with you guys the kid just wants to play NRL sooner rather than later and we couldn’t guarantee him that certainly not this interrupted season.

Fordy20

Juniors
Sort of aggression we need, I can’t remember the last time a WT forward has shown an ounce of aggression

Yeah, you have to go back a way. Taupau and Gavet when they were coming off the bench together in early 2014? Gareth Ellis?

The unknown

Juniors
Yeah, you have to go back a way. Taupau and Gavet when they were coming off the bench together in early 2014? Gareth Ellis?

Yeah it would have been Ellis and some of the players from the Potter era from my memory.

Put it this way if JWH hit Brooks or Marshall late I doubt any of our forwards would stand up to him

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Over the past few years its been well documented how many gun players we've let slip through our grasp, whilst signing over the hill guys on big salaries or league journeymen to replace them. Now the fact that we have been able to sign these three kids shows a huge turn around from that club. I am going to preface this by saying that I haven't seen Stefano or Shawn play a minute of footy (apart from highlights), and have just seen one trial of Jake.

Yet here we have the highest rated under 20 prop and hooker in the country who have been joined by the 2018 NSW U18s captain (a side which featured Tommy Talau, Jock Madden and Stefano).

These are all guys who would have been sought after by plenty of clubs (we know about the hissy fit from the Eels over Stefano), yet we got them. Its been a decade since anything like this would have happened. Also keep in mind the clubs we got them from.

Stefano from Parra who have been top 4 two of the last three years
Simpkin from Brisbane who wanted to keep him, yet he moved after they resigned Jake Turpin
Blory from Penrith who pride themselves on keeping local juniours

Any time over the past decade can you imagine us beating these clubs for an in demand young player?

Now we know these kids could all flop, yet thats not really the point. It's showing that our club is no longer a last resort for players. In Maguire, Hartigan (who I believe is behind a lot of this), Hapipantelis and the new COE our club is now becoming an option. You start with the gun kids and then as it improves onfield the genuine stars look at you. Finally our club seems to be turning the corner.

The club is in best place it has been for a long time. These signings are all very impressive.

By the looks of things there are 26 contracted players for next year

Outside backs

Douehi
Thompson
Cini
Nofoaluma
K Bradley
Talau
Hoffman
BJ Leilua
Mbye
Momirovski

Halves

Brooks
Reynolds
Madden
Walters

Hookers
Liddle
Simpkin

Middle Forwards
Aloiai
Musgrove
Mikaele
Packer
Twal
Utoikamanu

Edge
Garner
L Leilua
Blore
Chee Kam

Assume also that of those off contract none are re-signed (you could make a case for Benji and Seyfarth but park that for a moment)

Of that group of contracted players my observations are:
- We're light on for edge backrowers. We'd need to sign someone with experience to provide leadership
- We could really do with some size and experience in the backs. There isn't a place for short wingers in the modern game. Thompson and Nofoaluma types are not all that attractive under the high ball.
- you'd have to say its unlikely Josh Reynolds is still around in '21 though there isn't a great deal of experienced halves available for next season. I wouldn't want a rookie playing alongside Brooks
- the hooking battle between Liddle and Simpkin will be interesting and that is assuming Grant does return to Melbourne.

With the last 4 spots I would suspect we see:
Seyfarth
One experienced half - two if Reynolds is moved on.
2 edge back rowers - one of rep standard the another who has played 100+ NRL games

I think its a given that Lawrence, McQueen, Smith, Mcintyre, Eisenhuth and Jennings are all let go.

Taylor may have long term value if the game does quicken up and we move back to smaller forwards with better fitness. Reduction in interchange may also help his cause.

Stil plenty of water to pass under the bridge this season of course.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The club is in best place it has been for a long time. These signings are all very impressive.

By the looks of things there are 26 contracted players for next year

Outside backs

Douehi
Thompson
Cini
Nofoaluma
K Bradley
Talau
Hoffman
BJ Leilua
Mbye
Momirovski

Halves

Brooks
Reynolds
Madden
Walters

Hookers
Liddle
Simpkin

Middle Forwards
Aloiai
Musgrove
Mikaele
Packer
Twal
Utoikamanu

Edge
Garner
L Leilua
Blore
Chee Kam

Assume also that of those off contract none are re-signed (you could make a case for Benji and Seyfarth but park that for a moment)

Of that group of contracted players my observations are:
- We're light on for edge backrowers. We'd need to sign someone with experience to provide leadership
- We could really do with some size and experience in the backs. There isn't a place for short wingers in the modern game. Thompson and Nofoaluma types are not all that attractive under the high ball.
- you'd have to say its unlikely Josh Reynolds is still around in '21 though there isn't a great deal of experienced halves available for next season. I wouldn't want a rookie playing alongside Brooks
- the hooking battle between Liddle and Simpkin will be interesting and that is assuming Grant does return to Melbourne.

With the last 4 spots I would suspect we see:
Seyfarth
One experienced half - two if Reynolds is moved on.
2 edge back rowers - one of rep standard the another who has played 100+ NRL games

I think its a given that Lawrence, McQueen, Smith, Mcintyre, Eisenhuth and Jennings are all let go.

Taylor may have long term value if the game does quicken up and we move back to smaller forwards with better fitness. Reduction in interchange may also help his cause.

Stil plenty of water to pass under the bridge this season of course.

I think you’ve summed it up well. My understanding is Hoffman is still on a Development contract next year so we have 5 spots. The wings do look skinny, it’s such a shame Cini and Bradley won’t be able to develop over this year as both would push for a spot in 2021.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Douehi. I still think he’s a 6 and Benjis natural heir but hopefully he kills it at fullback as I think a 5/8 will be easier to find then a gun fullback.

Fordy20

Juniors
I reckon Jennings will be resigned because we are light on with wingers. I reckon it will be a reduced contract though.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I reckon Jennings will be resigned because we are light on with wingers. I reckon it will be a reduced contract though.

He is NRL standard without being brilliant. It's a shame he lines up on the left side because in try scoring situations he always seems to come inside or make a meal of it.

Latest posts