What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red Dead Redemption 2

Exsilium

First Grade
I was about 63% through it and a random shutdown of the PS4 corrupted my save games.

it’ll go down as a game I’ll never finish.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Anyone still playing this bad boy?
Just started playing Online, seriously addicted.
May, or may not, have some real money

Vic Mackey

Referee
Anyone still playing this bad boy?
Just started playing Online, seriously addicted.
May, or may not, have some real money

I was playing story mode. Loved it but lost a bit of interest when I got to St Denise, found a lot of the missions started to feel the same. May go back to it but moved on for now

jargan83

Coach
I've been thinking of giving online a go as well and I traditionally I haven't been big on online gaming. Had to clear some space on my PS4 and RDR 2 was one of the folders I deleted so will have to wait a week to for new drive to arrive.

Greenfields

Juniors
Might have to dust this off and finish it. The first one is one of my favourite games ever but just couldn’t get into this one in the same way.

abpanther

Staff member
I played some online and to be honest I got kinda bored of it pretty quick, most of it just seems like a grind of having to travel on horseback large distances to collect supplies or undertake a task. Whether it's trader licence, bounty, moonshine, etc, it a seems a grind and the free roam is a bit restrictive in terms of letting loose and just causing carnage.

I'll give it another go but seemed a little flat to me

edabomb

First Grade
Might have to dust this off and finish it. The first one is one of my favourite games ever but just couldn’t get into this one in the same way.

I'm the same. Flew through the first one but had to grind through this one. Still smashed through GTA V when that came out.

Pommy

Coach
I’ve been chipping away at this again recently. Up to chapter 5 of the story and enjoying it, although it never did suck me in like the first game did.
The online however is just garbage, it just lack enough variety to it. I have a group of friends who I still play GTA online with on a fairly regular basis and I don’t know how the creators of that could get this so wrong.

This Just In...

Juniors
It's been a while since I played it, but the things that stick in my mind...

Like others, loved the first one... took a while to get into this one, but grew to love it (even though I think it had flaws).

Remember thinking the opening chapter was way too long. Particularly because it's a game you want to start levelling up in quickly, in order to play "effectively".

Thought the map was ultimately too large and turned travelling into a chore a lot of the time. Even so, one of the games best aspects was often just riding your horse at speed across country, taking in the background scenery.

Felt there were too many challenges to complete, or at least they were far too repetitive. Probably my fault for "bothering", but thinking back to how long I spent searching for "egrets" to hunt or flowers to pick... the rewards are rarely worth it and it just sap time.

Was also disappointed that a characters "honour" level can also impact the storyline outcome, because my experience was that completing challenges very clearly pushed your honour rating in one direction. Which probably leads into my final point...

I still ultimately enjoyed the game and it always surprises me how attached to a character (or characters) you can become as the story plays out.

I was even taken aback when I lost a horse that couldn't be revived, lol.

RDR2 didn't leave me wanting more like the first game did, but it was still worth playing.

abpanther

Staff member
It's been a while since I played it, but the things that stick in my mind...

Like others, loved the first one... took a while to get into this one, but grew to love it (even though I think it had flaws).

Remember thinking the opening chapter was way too long. Particularly because it's a game you want to start levelling up in quickly, in order to play "effectively".

Thought the map was ultimately too large and turned travelling into a chore a lot of the time. Even so, one of the games best aspects was often just riding your horse at speed across country, taking in the background scenery.

Felt there were too many challenges to complete, or at least they were far too repetitive. Probably my fault for "bothering", but thinking back to how long I spent searching for "egrets" to hunt or flowers to pick... the rewards are rarely worth it and it just sap time.

Was also disappointed that a characters "honour" level can also impact the storyline outcome, because my experience was that completing challenges very clearly pushed your honour rating in one direction. Which probably leads into my final point...

I still ultimately enjoyed the game and it always surprises me how attached to a character (or characters) you can become as the story plays out.

I was even taken aback when I lost a horse that couldn't be revived, lol.

RDR2 didn't leave me wanting more like the first game did, but it was still worth playing.

Great write up mate, I agree with most of what you said. I really enjoyed RDR2 but agree that I was happy to finish it and the story was great.

Agree with the size of the map, while it's great to have so many places to see I did find it painful after a while having to travel so far between towns. I found myself getting more distracted by side missions as I had so far to travel.

Agree that the challenges were too much and very repetitive. I did really enjoy the hunting and fishing for legendaries, but a lot of the other stuff was pretty mundane.

In the end the story was great and I really liked the characters so it was enjoyable overall, but I think there are some improvements that could be made for the next one.

Also, I tried playing online and was really underwhelmed despite so many people telling me how good it is. It was a grind for money and resources, very repetitive and also very limited in the chaos that you could cause which was really what I most enjoyed when playing GTA V online.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I got to about 55% started to get bored and went away from it so deleted it off my PS4

felt like getting back into it so reloaded it but it says my saved files are corrupted or some shit. No desire to go through everything again so will probably never play again

Eelementary

Post Whore
I got to about 55% started to get bored and went away from it so deleted it off my PS4

felt like getting back into it so reloaded it but it says my saved files are corrupted or some shit. No desire to go through everything again so will probably never play again

I didn't enjoy my second playthrough of this game.

Zoidberg

First Grade

I’m probably 75% of my way through my 1st time, stopped playing probably a year ago for no reason in particular, was loving it.
I couldn’t see myself playing from the start again. I would rather continue roaming around in the world after finishing the story (if I do).
I find games released now difficult to replay the game despite my enjoyment of them. Games like Spider-man, God of War, Far Cry 5, and RDR2, maybe it’s because I’ve already spent so much time in the world and increasing my character that I feel no desire to return to the start.
Which is cool. Getting 50+ hours out of a game is well worth it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I got Far Cry 5 classic edition when it was on sale for $5 a while back. I loved FC4&5 and had heard great things about this so was excited to play it.

Very under whelmed so far. I know people loved it when it first came out but it’s 8 years old now and is sooo dated. 4 & then particularly 5 have blown it away both graphics and then gameplay wise.