What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toby Wan Kanobi

We have big money tied up in the wrong players.

Big 3 to 4 year deals to the likes of Dugan, Moylan, Johnson and Townsend is going to lead to us losing the likes of Toby Rudolf who can be a real difference maker to this team.

You put any of the above on the open market now and some wouldn’t get a start with an NRL club and some would be offered only half what they’re on.

Yet they are some of our biggest earners currently.

Our cap is totally farked.

We have big money tied up in the wrong players.

Big 3 to 4 year deals to the likes of Dugan, Moylan, Johnson and Townsend is going to lead to us losing the likes of Toby Rudolf who can be a real difference maker to this team.

You put any of the above on the open market now and some wouldn’t get a start with an NRL club and some would be offered only half what they’re on.

Yet they are some of our biggest earners currently.

Our cap is totally farked.
Well it depends on who is running our cap now. Flange was running it before and he left us with three of those listed by you, a parting “gift” so to speak.
Dugan, Moylan, Johnson as well as coach Morris are all off contract after next season. That leaves us with a heap of room to move, but is there someone Smart enough to steer the ship?
We should be able to match the Warriors offer pretty easily if we go higher on the last two years. Then again, he will have to make sure he is worth it this year.

carinashark

First Grade
His manager would have to be thinking , anyone but the Warriors or Titans. Also Morris is good at bringing on younger players. There might be more to come through.

Well it depends on who is running our cap now. Flange was running it before and he left us with three of those listed by you, a parting “gift” so to speak.
Dugan, Moylan, Johnson as well as coach Morris are all off contract after next season. That leaves us with a heap of room to move, but is there someone Smart enough to steer the ship?
We should be able to match the Warriors offer pretty easily if we go higher on the last two years. Then again, he will have to make sure he is worth it this year.

I’ve always said BBB Flanno was the best thing to ever happen to our a Club.
Inaugural Premiership and spot on recruiting to get that Premiership.

However Flanno’s recruitment after the Premiership was not good at all.
He went away from his recruitment formula of buying value players with great character traits. The 2016 team was full of them.

A lot of his recruitment after the Premiership win screamed of desperate buys.
He paid up big for players with big injury histories, 4 year contracts and suspect character traits. If that’s not a obvious red flag then nothing is in recruitment.

I’m not surprised Toby is getting interest from rival Clubs. He’s on a modest contract and quite possibly our best forward for go forward, work rate and defensive qualities. Best of all he’s at a prime age to do that for multiple years ahead. If we lose him it’s a bigger loss than a lot of people may think.

carcharias

Immortal
I’ve always said BBB Flanno was the best thing to ever happen to our a Club.
Inaugural Premiership and spot on recruiting to get that Premiership.

However Flanno’s recruitment after the Premiership was not good at all.
He went away from his recruitment formula of buying value players with great character traits. The 2016 team was full of them.

A lot of his recruitment after the Premiership win screamed of desperate buys.
He paid up big for players with big injury histories, 4 year contracts and suspect character traits. If that’s not a obvious red flag then nothing is in recruitment.

I’m not surprised Toby is getting interest from rival Clubs. He’s on a modest contract and quite possibly our best forward for go forward, work rate and defensive qualities. Best of all he’s at a prime age to do that for multiple years ahead. If we lose him it’s a bigger loss than a lot of people may think.

um
Barba had character traits?
Fifita?

dugan Moylan and Johnston are great footy players.
You can’t predict injuries
Dugan played great last year.

um
Barba had character traits?
Fifita?

dugan Moylan and Johnston are great footy players.
You can’t predict injuries
Dugan played great last year.

Sure you can’t predict injuries but you can look at injury history.
Moylan and Dugan in particular had a very bad injury history.
They certainly won’t improve in this area as they are getting to the backend of their careers.

As for being great footy players that is subjective and your entitled to your point of view.
I think they’re pretty average footballers now personally.
And overpaid ones at that.

Fifita and Barba whilst not being angels they were certainly winners and changed the dynamic of the team greatly. Most importantly to my point they were great bargains when Flanno brought them over to the Sharks.

Ennis
Graham
Lewis
Maloney
Etc.

All had great character and Ennis, Maloney and Graham in particular were great value when Flanno brought them to the Club.

Anyway my point was that Flanno’s recruitment was better prior to the Premiership than after it. Do you think the opposite?

carcharias

Immortal
Sure you can’t predict injuries but you can look at injury history.
Moylan and Dugan in particular had a very bad injury history.
They certainly won’t improve in this area as they are getting to the backend of their careers.

As for being great footy players that is subjective and your entitled to your point of view.
I think they’re pretty average footballers now personally.
And overpaid ones at that.

Fifita and Barba whilst not being angels they were certainly winners and changed the dynamic of the team greatly. Most importantly to my point they were great bargains when Flanno brought them over to the Sharks.

Ennis
Graham
Lewis
Maloney
Etc.

All had great character and Ennis, Maloney and Graham in particular were great value when Flanno brought them to the Club.

Anyway my point was that Flanno’s recruitment was better prior to the Premiership than after it. Do you think the opposite?
No I don’t think the opposite
I do think all 3 were great players.
Moylan wasn’t injured prior to coming here.
He was Just not getting picked for some weird reason.
Dugan played 14 in 2018 and 23 in 2019 = 37
Wade played 18 in 2018 and 10 in 2019 = 28
So this stuff about him being injured all the time is not true.

fizman

Bench
Let me throw out some speculators.....
I don't believe Toby will go to the Warriors, he will either stay with us or go to Souths Sydney. If he does go to Souths, I can see Liam Knight coming "back" to Cronulla in some type of swap deal.

To the Warriors' credit, they have seen the talent and have tried to strike first, however, if Toby holds out and keeps improving this season, he will be worth every cent by seasons end.

He is home in Sydney, has some family connections, so if he can stay in Sydney he will. If it is all about money, Canterbury could also be a landing spot.

chewsta

First Grade
Toby and Liam are massive Bromo's they will end up at the same club eventually. Hopefully its at the Sharks.

Special K

Coach
Bennett won’t let Knight go who just re-signed and took less money than what the titans threw at him.

Toby is awesome but he is 24, has played 2 games, is coming off injuries and the warriors just made him a millionaire. I can see why he has taken it. All the best Toby!

MilkShark

First Grade
Bennett won’t let Knight go who just re-signed and took less money than what the titans threw at him.

Toby is awesome but he is 24, has played 2 games, is coming off injuries and the warriors just made him a millionaire. I can see why he has taken it. All the best Toby!
haha f**k warriors are dumb.

Doesnt take much to make big coin in this game anymore

Quigs

Immortal
I've been pissing in Toby's pocket even before he signed with us. (So has the Stake) Watching him the Qld cup and then getting his signature put a smile on my face. Was really looking forward to him this and next season.

But as usual no one these days gives a real f**k about us mere supporters. It is all about the dollars.

Is there an emergency escape pod attached to the Launch Apollo Mercury Mission ? Does it have enough room for a broken down old fart that is looking for a seat.