What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Sydney clubs will merge within the next decade - Gould

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
All Melbourne juniors go to QLD schools.

The is no juniors, no schools. Victorian schools play VFL.

The wish they had Endeavour High. In the meantime they scab from QLD schools on the Gold Coast and in Townsville, where they actually have an option play Rugba Leg.

SBD82

Coach
Edit* Never mind. This is a dated argument. And I was dumb for contributing to it.

Last edited:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
A lot will depend on the league clubs and how they fair through this. There are 4 Sydney clubs reliant on significant annual cash injections from their LC’s, some up to the tune of $5million. IF LC have to sell assets to cover this years losses then profit may be reduced in future years and the ability to throw large chunks of cash at the nrl operation won’t be there. Eels are lucky, the new stadium happened at the right time should see their revenue from game day operations rise significantly and fill the gap. Panthers, bulldogs and wests not so lucky. One thing is for sure, nrl clubs need to start building their engaged fanbases and shift their revenue reliance.

All money lost by LC backed entities will be short term. You seriously can’t think that people won’t return to the LCs to spend their money?

they’re chomping at the bit

Perth Red

Post Whore
All money lost by LC backed entities will be short term. You seriously can’t think that people won’t return to the LCs to spend their money?

they’re chomping at the bit

that will depend how the economy recovers and if people will have money to put Into pokie machines. The addicts probably will be back soon enough with their credit cards.

MugaB

Coach
I just had a crazy idea. Why don't we merge every club from Queensland and Victoria into one team, then merge every club from NSW and ACT into one team. It could be made a state vs state contest. WOW!!
And also call it super rugby Union, then emplyee rayleen castle as ceo

flippikat

Bench
On another slant, away from the geographical zones & club culture issues when thinking about mergers, what about team colours & jersey designs?

We're kinda lucky that the Tigers (black, white, orange) and Dragons (red and white) had pretty compatible palettes.. but could you imagine trying to squeeze some of the other clubs together on one jersey?

The Northern Eagles maroon, red, black and white was a bit of a mess to be honest.

siv

First Grade
Can't see any clubs going bust in Sydney

NRL grants will cover players salary cap and football operations

LC cash or facilities is a bonus

Reflector

Juniors
I domt understand why everyone gets so fixated on kicking the Titans out....

Their crowd averages are usually better than half the Sydney club. As recently as 2018, they averaged over 14k at Robina.

And in terms of money, they have only defaulted once.

Any failures were due to bad owners (Titans, gladiators), being under prepared (Giants, Chargers) or the owners just leaving (Seagulls). The fans themselves are just as good as anywhere else...

I would suggest their crowd averages are spiked by interstate fans of Sydney clubs who only get a couple of chances a year to see their team play locally.

The weight behind axing/ relocating the Titans is more to do with the GC as an area. It has a bigger population, but it doesn't have that entrenched support for the local team and lacks that community spirit.

mongoose

Coach
I would suggest their crowd averages are spiked by interstate fans of Sydney clubs who only get a couple of chances a year to see their team play locally.

The weight behind axing/ relocating the Titans is more to do with the GC as an area. It has a bigger population, but it doesn't have that entrenched support for the local team and lacks that community spirit.

are Sydney crowds not boosted by away fans, especially when its a derby?
I agree that the Titans don't have much of a culture or community spirit around them but i think that is due to the way the team has performed over the past 10 years more so than some intrinsic problem with the location.

Reflector

Juniors

are Sydney crowds not boosted by away fans, especially when its a derby?
I agree that the Titans don't have much of a culture or community spirit around them but i think that is due to the way the team has performed over the past 10 years more so than some intrinsic problem with the location.

Difference is the majority of fans at a Sydney club home game are the home team fans. With the GC it appears to usually be 50/50.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Difference is the majority of fans at a Sydney club home game are the home team fans. With the GC it appears to usually be 50/50.

that’s unlikely with 10k members and a 13k crowd avg. key for them is work in schools now so the kids grow up titans fans, not following their dads team.