What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

he's an ideas man

WTF???

Was he stoned thinking this?

A lawn bowl only swings when bowled slowly, ever bombed one down at speed? It goes as straight as an arrow.

And when a leg spinner tries to float one of these down the pitch it’ll wobble like Harold Bishops jowels when Madge abuses him.

Of all the daft-attention-grabbing “ideas” this bloke has has, I’d suggest this is the worst..

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Who's obssesed?? There's only one wanker who keeps going on about it.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...n/news-story/07ba4a2ed258af93671b33604e247682

Cricket legend Shane Warne has lashed Australia’s obsession with the famous Baggy Green cap, calling the ongoing glorification “embarrassing” and “sickening”.

The Baggy Green cap has become an Australian sporting icon, given to debutants during an emotional presentation ceremony before their first Test match.

Only 458 players have ever received a Baggy Green, and during popular docu-series Forged in Fire, several Australian cricket greats discussed the cap’s significance.

Former Australian captain Mark Taylor said, “The moment you get a Baggy Green is the moment you have made it.”

Western Australian batsman Michael Hussey claimed, “It’s so much more than a cap; it’s so much more than a piece of fabric.”

However, unlike his former teammates, Warne is not emotionally attached to the piece of fabric.

“The Baggy Green and all that stuff is a load of rubbish,” Warne exclaimed.

“You don’t need to wear a Baggy Green cap to say you love playing cricket for Australia.”

Warne never tried to hide his thoughts on the Baggy Green – the King of Spin ripped into former Australian captain Steve Waugh in 2013 for forcing players to don the cap.

“We had this ridiculous thing Steve Waugh brought in … He said that everyone in the first hour has to wear the green baggy cap,” Warne said during the Sky Sports Ashes commentary.

“I said to him, ‘I don’t have to wear my green baggy cap to say I enjoyed playing cricket for Australia, I want to wear my white floppy, I feel more comfortable in it.’

“He said, ‘No, we’re all doing it.’

“I used to sit there and sulk at first slip for the first hour wearing this silly baggy green cap … It was just silly.”

Warne reiterated his frustration in Australian cricket’s love affair with the Baggy Green on Saturday.

“I always believed that you didn’t have to wear the baggy green cap to say how much you loved playing cricket for Australia,” he said on Triple M.

“I loved playing cricket for Australia, and I didn’t need to wear that cap or have that verbal diarrhoea about it, I just enjoyed playing cricket for Australia.

“I always felt that if I wore a white floppy hat or wore my Baggy Green cap it meant exactly the same, I was playing for Australia.”

Warne also poked fun at popular Amazon docu-series The Test for excessively glorifying the hat.

“There was too much verbal diarrhoea about the baggy cap … it was a bit too over the top for me,” Warne said.

“The stuff that they go on about, the fabric of the baggy green and all this stuff that they go on about, I don’t sign in and buy into that.

“But as a whole, it was a fantastic documentary.”

Before Waugh’s captaincy, the Baggy Green was considered just another part of the Australian cricket teams’ attire. There were no presentation ceremonies before the 1980s, and former Australian captain Ian Chappell explained how legendary Channel 9 commentator Bill Lawry used to clean out pigeon lofts wearing his Australian Test cap to “keeping the pigeon s*** from getting in his hair”.

When Australian tennis great Pat Rafter qualified for the Wimbledon final in 2001, it coincided with an Ashes tour. The Australian cricket team attended the prestigious match to support Rafter, but some players bizarrely opted to don the Baggy Green from the stands.

Warne unsurprisingly refused to join the charade.

didn’t need to wear it to bloody Wimbledon, which was just sickening, that they’d wear it to Wimbledon,” Warne said.

“I actually refused, myself and Mark Waugh refused, but some of those other guys, yeah, they wore it.

“Sitting at Wimbledon in your green Baggy Green cap, come on mate, please.

“That was embarrassing.”

In January, Warne auctioned off his Baggy Green cap for the Australian bushfire appeal, and it was sold for a mind-boggling $1,007,500.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I watched Masterchef, no intention of watching Warne regurgitate stories and listen to shit

How many times are Fox going to repeat this interview before the year is out? Anything less than 20 id be shocked

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Who's obssesed?? There's only one wanker who keeps going on about it.

Cricket legend Shane Warne has lashed Australia’s obsession with the famous Baggy Green cap, calling the ongoing glorification “embarrassing” and “sickening”.

“Sitting at Wimbledon in your green Baggy Green cap, come on mate, please.

“That was embarrassing.”

Whats embarrassing is Warne is probably the only one publicly going on and on about it.

He still singles out Waugh for forcing him to wear but forgets Taylor did it one time for a test in 1996

I saw a preview to this and thought, ICF watching that.

Might as well see his interview with Crash Craddock or Michael Parkinson.

Timbo

Staff member
He is such a f**king child.

Thankfully he’s trotted our so much of this bullshit over the last few years where we’ve had his commentary rammed down our throats it seems that it’s only fat bogan Victorians who still think he’s worth listening to now.

The weird thing is, there are obviously shards of a good bloke under there. I remember going to a Mercantile Mutual Cup game in the early 00s at North Sydney when it rained. He came out of the sheds and sat down and signed an autograph for every kid that wanted one and had an thirty second conversation with each, asked their name and if they were a batter or bowler, if they wanted to play for Australia when they grew up, etc. Every other player just stayed dry in the rooms.

He’s just such a juvenile about these pathetic agendas of his.

ek999

First Grade
Warnie is a complete f**kwit but I have enjoyed this interview so far. Howie is a very good interviewer too. He has either prepared very well for it or has a good knowledge of Warnie's career

TheParraboy

Staff member
Warnie is a complete f**kwit but I have enjoyed this interview so far. Howie is a very good interviewer too. He has either prepared very well for it or has a good knowledge of Warnie's career

Howie has improved out of sight as an interviewer and commentator over the years

Other than the constant AFL drivel at times he isn't too bad really, don't mind him

Howie has improved out of sight as an interviewer and commentator over the years

Other than the constant AFL drivel at times he isn't too bad really, don't mind him

Might be a trivial thing, but I hate it when a journalist is promoted by a nickname..

Eg Howie, Buzz, Kenty, Bulldog...

It’s like giving yourself a nickname (George Constanza / T-bone). So contrived..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Could Howie cup his balls anymore???? Not one tough question and he was fawning over him the whole interview. Was quite sickening.

lol @ his pathetic excuse for the drug test fail. "I'm not blaming my mum but........"

TheParraboy

Staff member
Could Howie cup his balls anymore???? Not one tough question and he was fawning over him the whole interview. Was quite sickening.

lol @ his pathetic excuse for the drug test fail. "I'm not blaming my mum but........"

Id say Warne most probably wrote the interview questions, others wise he wouldn't agree to it..

Still have no desire to watch it, you guys filling ,me is enough :D

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Does anyone even really care that Warne was stupid of the field? He isn’t a violent criminal or anything like that.
Yes. His PR machine painted him as a great guy when he was a wanker. If you want to reap the benefits of fame you have to put up with the bad.

Not to mention that he was talking to John the Bookie and took an illegal substance on the eve of the world cup.

If we only care what players do on the field there would be no reason to swap sides from, say, the Broncos to the Roosters when the roosters starting winning premierships.

Timbo

Staff member
Random cricket thought of the day;

Remember during the first season of Ten covering the BBL they put d-grade celebrities on a scaffolding platform in the crowd and if they caught a six a home viewer won money? And then not a single six landed in the same postcode as one of them for the entire tournament?

What a ride that was.

Latest posts