What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

siv

First Grade
The rule is the ref can blow a penalty or 6 again. In that case would be the bin

Where the 6 again is better is for those times where a team is on their line and need a rest so hold down. Knowing they won’t get sin binned and can have a breather and reset

6 again might be better around the middle the field between 40m zones

But inside your 20m you want the penalty

Inside the opposition 20m you want the sin bin or a chance to get 2 points

But it will be used as a tactic by coaches knowing they can't be penalised

unforgiven

Bench
Sometimes we just make rule changes to screw the refs over I'm sure! Not to mention no rule should be changed unless ratified by the IRL and adopted in all countries. We are supposed to be one international sport ffs!
You know that in the history of our game it has never ever worked liked that. This is how our game developed and is the exact reason why it is so different to Union today.

TheFrog

Coach
Far from enough of a reason to change the system, unless it's deemed the choice they think is best. I can't see them saying hey we'd probably rather have 2 refs but let's drop $2m out, even though it's a drop in the ocean in our operating budget.
I doubt it would have happened if they weren't looking for ways to save money.

T-Boon

Coach
The 6 again rule may or may not work who knows...BUUUT, VLandy's is trying to end the wrestle which surely we all want.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The 6 again rule may or may not work who knows...BUUUT, VLandy's is trying to end the wrestle which surely we all want.

It’s worth a gamble at least. Nothing else has worked. Could have 20 referees and Smith and the Storm would still wrestle till there’s no tomorrow

Frailty

First Grade
It’s worth a gamble at least. Nothing else has worked. Could have 20 referees and Smith and the Storm would still wrestle till there’s no tomorrow

I'd love to gamble with you if that's your approach. Despite all the literal evidence and expertise showing the opposite effect, you're still going with the 1000-1 bet.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
The rule is the ref can blow a penalty or 6 again. In that case would be the bin

Where the 6 again is better is for those times where a team is on their line and need a rest so hold down. Knowing they won’t get sin binned and can have a breather and reset

But what about the reverse situation, which is one we see often in the game.

A team puts in an awesome defensive effort and defends 3 or 4 back to back sets on their line. The opposition make a mistake and give the ball away then lie all over the tackle. At that point,the last thing the team with the ball wants is a reset which is just an extra tackle. They want the penalty, so they can have a few seconds breather, get down field a bit and then try and dictate play.

This new rule will penalise that. Tired players make more mistakes than fresh ones.

Frailty

First Grade
I love the "where are the real men at?"...

… Not being whipped by a moronic person who thinks they know better than research, doctors, and medical researchers.

Not to mention she clearly does not understand it is the Queensland Government not the NRL that is standing firm on the 'No Jab No Play' approach. But, I mean, we shouldn't expecting thinking to be her forte.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I'd love to gamble with you if that's your approach. Despite all the literal evidence and expertise showing the opposite effect, you're still going with the 1000-1 bet.

It’s worth a go. If it doesn’t work what’s your lose? The season is compromised anyway. This season is literally the best season to trial some of these things. Refs don’t penalise and when they do they let teams do it over and over again rather than using the bin! I’m all for trying this 6 again rule.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Lol as if the NRL cares about Bryce you anti vax girl! Let’s see if you care about losing 600k a year lol

Frailty

First Grade
The game is one of attrition, possession, and field position. By taking away the penalty you take away the option for guaranteed points, and for territorial advantage.

To retort that the referees still have the ability to penalise is really odd when the argument to implement is that 'refs don't penalise'.

This was trialled in an All Star game where the coaches didn't bother to think about how to exploit it because it means nothing, but in the NRL it will be targeted.

This is definitely not the season to trial some of these things - there is a potential to be one of few sports in the world that will be televised. So instead of promoting the game, we are going to turn it into a slow, sluggish, and confusing sport to watch.