What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Roster: Gains & Losses

One Warrior

Bench
Murdoch-Masila signed from 2020

The Vodafone Warriors have beaten rival clubs to snare powerhouse Tonga international Ben Murdoch-Masila on a three-year contract from the 2021 NRL season.

The 29-year-old Aucklander will return home from England where he is in the final season of his three-year Super League deal with the Warrington Wolves.

The destructive Murdoch-Masila was exceptional in Tonga’s historic 16-12 victory over the Kangaroos in last year’s Oceania Cup Test at Eden Park and, in the last two seasons, has made back-to-back appearances in the Challenge Cup final as well as playing in the 2018 Super League grand final.

“Ben is right up among the best forwards in the game right now and he had plenty of clubs trying to sign him,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

“It’s a huge signing for us, one we couldn’t be happier with.

“Ben always had enormous potential and has now matured into a total professional. He’ll be a real asset to have back in the NRL.”

Murdoch-Masila is a product of the Wests Tigers club’s rugby league nursery Keebra Park State High School.

An Otahuhu junior, he made his NRL debut with the Tigers in 2010 and went on to play 52 NRL games for the club before moving to Penrith. A two-year stint there produced only six games before he left to join the Super League.

There he made an instant impact with the Salford Red Devils scoring 22 tries in 60 matches across the 2016 and 2017 seasons before joining Warrington in 2018. He scored a try in Warrington’s 2018 Challenge Cup final loss to Les Catalans and also scored in their win over St Helens last year.

Murdoch-Masila said returning to the NRL had always been a possibility.

"I've always left the door open for the opportunity of an NRL comeback," he said on Warrington's website.

"My daughter has spent her life here and all she knows is the Wire (Warrington Wolves). When this opportunity came around I couldn't say no to taking her home to meet mine and Roxy's families.

"I want to thank all at the club for what they have done for not only me but for my wife and daughter too. They've gone above and beyond for us and after a tough first two seasons for me, and a not so good start, I will do whatever it takes to help repay what the Wire has done for me and do my best for the remainder of the year. To be remembered as the Tongan beast."

Murdoch-Masila started the 2020 Super League season memorably when he ran over Wigan’s George Burgess to score a try.

After making his Test debut for Tonga in 2013, Murdoch-Masila was a standout as he helped the island nation to the 2017 Rugby League World Cup semi-finals, scoring a try in the shock win over the Kiwis in Hamilton in the pool stages.

BEN MURDOCH-MASILA

Date of Birth: February 7, 1991

Birthplace: Auckland, NZ

Junior Club: Otahuhu Leopards (Auckland)

Position: Second Row/Prop

Height: 186cm

Weight: 114kg

Previous Clubs: Wests Tigers (2010-2013), Penrith Panthers (2014-2015), Salford Red Devils (2016-2017), Warrington Wolves (2018-2020)

Rep Honours: 9 Tests for Tonga (2013-2019), Junior Kiwis (2011)

NRL Debut: Wests Tigers v Sydney Roosters, Sydney Football Stadium (finals), September 11, 2010

NRL Career: 58 appearances (2010-2015)

Wests Tigers: 52 appearances (2010-2013)

Penrith Panthers: 6 appearances (2014)

NRL Points: 28 (7 tries)

Super League Career: 120 (2016-2020)

Salford Red Devils: 60 appearances (2016-2017)

Warrington Wolves: 60 appearances (2018-2020)

Super League Points: 164 (41 tries)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/03/09/murdoch-masila-signed-from-2021/

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    606.8 KB · Views: 0

One Warrior

Bench
Katoa signed until 2024
Rookie Eliesa Katoa’s standing as one of the NRL’s most promising players has been underlined by the Vodafone Warriors tonight announcing his signing until the end of the 2024 season.

Born in Tonga, the 193cm, 111kg second rower has earned his four-year NRL contract despite playing rugby league for only a year after being a schoolboy rugby union star with the Tamaki College First XV in Auckland.

After impressing so much in his NRL debut from the bench against Newcastle on March 14, Katoa was immediately promoted to start in the second row a week later against Canberra in Robina.

“It was a shock. The whole reason why I’m playing is to help out my family and my Mum’s happy,” he told Warriors TV on Sky Sport tonight.

“As a young player, I’m trying to sort out my future so signing this deal for four years, I’m really happy about it.

“Every time I play, I want to put my best foot forward and just play my best.”

eliesa-katoa-1b.jpg

After being signed from Tamaki College, Katoa made his way in his new code playing 11 times in an injury-disrupted season for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in the Jersey Flegg Cup under-20 competition last year before spending the full 2020 preseason with the club’s NRL squad.

He received rave reviews from football staff and teammates alike to earn a call-up for both 2020 NRL trials against the Melbourne Storm and the Wests Tigers.

“He’s a wonderful boy,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He displays those values every day whether it’s at training or helping Laurie (Hale) by bringing equipment in. You wish you had 30 of them. Eli’s a really important part of our club’s future.”

Vodafone Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck echoed Kearney’s assessment.

“We first saw him as this big Tongan boy, how they breed every Tongan – big and strong,” he said.

“He did a tough preseason with us and has been killing it ever since on the footy park. In our first two games he was our man of the match, so well deserved. The mentality he has now is that all he wants to do is learn, feed off the other players, feed off the coaches and the management staff. I just tell him to keep that growth mindset and wanting to learn.”

eliesa-katoa-1f.jpg

Vodafone Warriors head of athletic performance Craig Twentyman says Katoa has exceptional physical ability.

“His strength, power and size are obviously massive attributes for him,” he said.

“What further enhances his physical profile is his energy system or his aerobic capacity and power and that gives him the ability to repeat high intensity efforts right throughout a game.”

eliesa-katoa-1e.jpg

Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan has signed a lot of high-quality players and ranks Katoa in the same category.

“The first time I laid eye on him I had the feeling he was something special,” he said.

“In conjunction with Ben Murdoch-Masila signing gives us big athletic strike forwards to base our game around.

“His size, skill, athleticism and his willingness to learn make him an invaluable asset to the Vodafone Warriors.

“Eli has the potential to be the cornerstone of the Vodafone Warriors’ pack for the next decade.”

In his NRL debut against the Knights as Vodafone Warrior #242, gained 144 metres – including a team high 50 post-contact metres – from 17 runs in 52 minutes and made four tackles breaks plus 19 tackles. Only Tuivasa-Sheck topped his metre count.

The following week he was on the field for 65 minutes making 157 metres (including another team-high 60 post-contact metres) from 17 runs plus four tackle breaks and 27 tackles.

ELIESA KATOA

Born: March 11, 2000

Birthplace: Hihifo, Tonga

Junior Club: Tamaki College First XV (rugby union)

Position: Second row

Height: 193cm

Weight: 111kg

Previous Clubs: Nil

NRL Debut: v Newcastle Knights, McDonald Jones Stadium, March 14, 2020 (Round 1)

Vodafone Warriors No: 242

NRL Career: 2 appearances (2020)

NRL Points: 0

NYC Career: 11 appearances (2019)

NYC Points: 12 (3 tries)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/05/14/katoa-signed-until-2024/

One Warrior

Bench
Current Squad/year contract expires:

Eliesa Katoa 2024
David Fusitua 2023
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Ken Maumalo 2022
Agnatius Paasi 2022
Chanel Harris-Tavita 2022
Tohu Harris 2021
Bunty Afoa 2021
Karl Lawton 2021
Jazz Tevaga 2021
Leeson Ah Mau 2021
Kodi Nikorima 2021 (PO 2022)
Paul Turner 2021 (Development Contract)
Tom Ale 2021 (Development Contract)
Israel Ogden 2021 (Development Contract)
Tyler Slade 2021(Development Contract)
Adam Pompey 2021
Eliesa Katoa 2021
Hayze Perham 2021
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Adam Blair 2020 (PO 2021)
Gerard Beale 2020
Peta HIku 2020
Blake Green 2020
Isaish Papalii 2020
Adam Keighran 2020
Taane Milne 2020
Lachlan Burr 2020
Patrick Herbert 2020
Jackson Frei 2020
Selestino Ravutamada 2020 (Development Contract)

Gains

Josh Curran 2021 (Sydney Roosters)
Rocco Berry 2021 (Development Contract)
Wayde Egan 2022 (Penrith Panthers)
Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 2021 (Norths Devils)
Jack Murchie 2020 (Canberra Raiders)

Gains for 2021

Ben Murdoch-Masila 2023 (Warrington Wolves)

Losses

Solomone Kata (Melbourne Storm)
Chris Satae (Hull FC)
Ligi Sao (Hull FC)
Blake Ayshford (Retirement)
Isaac Luke (St George Dragons)
Sam Lisone (Gold Coast Titans)

Uncertain for 2020

Api Pewhairangi
Sean Mullaney

As always anybody who has any further info, please advise, thanks.

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Raider Murchie signs on
The Vodafone Warriors have boosted their depth in the forwards by signing big Canberra Raiders back rower Jack Murchie for the rest of the 2020 NRL season.

The 22-year-old’s signing formalities were completed this afternoon soon after he’d had his first training run with the Vodafone Warriors at Central Coast Stadium in Gosford today.

A three-game NRL player, the 193cm, 108kg Murchie joined his new teammates late yesterday when they arrived in Terrigal after leaving their quarantine base in Tamworth earlier in the day.

“Jack joins us with an opportunity and expectation to play NRL,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He comes highly recommended and we look forward to giving us some depth leading into our return to the competition next week.”

Representing the New South Wales 20s and the Junior Kangaroos, Murchie made his NRL debut from the bench against Cronulla-Sutherland in 2018.

“I’m looking forward to a new start and the chance to join the Vodafone Warriors and hopefully contribute to the team,” he said.

“I’ve played with and against a lot of the boys and I’m excited to join the squad and hopefully playing some good footy moving forward.”

Originally from Ulladulla on the New South Wales south coast, Murchie came through the grades with the Sydney Roosters and Canberra Raiders playing in a star-studded Roosters SG Ball Cup premiership-winning team.

He grew up playing in the centres before moving to the back row and has played in the middle in Canberra’s early season games bringing much needed versatility to our squad.

He has made 39 appearances for the Mounties in the Canterbury Cup NSW competition.

JACK MURCHIE

Born: June 26, 1997

Birthplace: Batemans Bay, NSW

Junior Club: Milton Ulladulla Bulldogs

Position: Back row

Weight: 108kg

Previous Clubs: Canberra Raiders (2018-2020)

NRL Debut: Canberra Raiders v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Southern Cross Group Stadium, July 20, 2018 (Round 19)

NRL Career: 3 appearances (2018-2019)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/05/21/murchie-signs-for-2020-season/

DuggyB

Juniors
So okay-Murchie could be a useful addition.Has there actually been official confirmation of Toby Rudolf
joining us?the talk seems to have gone cold,but I could have missed something.
We seem to be signing a lot of middles- but that is next seasons conundrum.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
So okay-Murchie could be a useful addition.Has there actually been official confirmation of Toby Rudolf
joining us?the talk seems to have gone cold,but I could have missed something.
We seem to be signing a lot of middles- but that is next seasons conundrum.
I was wondering about this earlier on so cheeked Google news and there hasn't been anything since the Stuff article saying we had signed him 8 days ago, hasn't been confirmed anywhere else so I don't think so

Penrose_11

Juniors
Warriors website shows we’ve signed Tyrone Roberts-Davis through remainder of the season. Plays fullback/ wing. He was the 3rd NRL player with the Fox and Latrell when all fined for heading to Latrell property during lockdown. Interesting. Totally missed this signing previously though. Has anyone else heard much about it? Guessing he might be a player outside Top 30 as surely we only need him until Fus and Beale ready to go

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Terms agreed for Faamausili loan deal
Terms have been agreed between both clubs for Sydney Roosters front rower Poasa Faamausili to join the Vodafone Warriors on loan for an initial period of four weeks.

The move follows the NRL’s decision to allow the Vodafone Warriors to sign a loan player in the wake of their heavy injury toll which has seen them lose three players in the past week including middle forwards Leeson Ah Mau (pectoral) and Jazz Tevaga (knee).

Also sidelined for an extended period is utility back Adam Keighran while middle forwards Bunty Afoa and Jackson Frei plus centre Taane Milne are in Auckland recovering from season-ending ACL knee injuries.

A 14-game NRL player, Auckland-born 24-year-old Faamausili – 188cm, 108kg – is due to join his new team on Sunday after the Vodafone Warriors resume their 2020 campaign with their third-round clash against St George Illawarra at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday.

“We can’t thank the Roosters enough for their support with this. It’s a great gesture on their part, an expression of the goodwill we’ve witnessed from so many clubs,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

poasa-faamausili-1d.png

“(Head coach) Trent Robinson and everyone at the Roosters have been terrific with the way they have been there for us in what has been a difficult time. We’re thrilled Poasa will be joining us in what is a beneficial undertaking for both clubs.

“We’re also really grateful to the NRL for reconsidering our request for dispensation to sign a loan player to shore up our depleted resources in the middle forwards.”

Faamausili, a Glenora Bears junior, made his NRL debut in 2018 before featuring in 12 matches last season including the 22nd-round encounter with the Vodafone Warriors in Sydney in August.

His last appearance was in the Roosters’ second-round match against Manly Warringah in March.

“We’re thrilled to have a big forward of Poasa’s ability joining us,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He’ll add real value to our squad and we’re certainly looking forward to welcoming him into the group here in Terrigal.

“It’s wonderful the way Trent and the Roosters have offered their support at this time.”

A former Junior Kiwi, Faamausili has also played a total of 50 games for the Roosters’ feeder clubs Wyong and North Sydney in the Canterbury Cup NSW competition while he made 48 National Youth Competition appearances for the club from 2014-2016.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/05/28/loan-deal-terms-agreed/

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/05/28/tbt-mckinnons-scorcher/

One Warrior

Bench

Eliesa Katoa 2024
David Fusitua 2023
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Ken Maumalo 2022
Agnatius Paasi 2022
Tohu Harris 2021
Bunty Afoa 2021
Karl Lawton 2021
Jazz Tevaga 2021
Leeson Ah Mau 2021
Adam Pompey 2021
Eliesa Katoa 2021
Hayze Perham 2021
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Gerard Beale 2020
Peta HIku 2020
Blake Green 2020
Isaish Papalii 2020
Adam Keighran 2020
Taane Milne 2020
Lachlan Burr 2020
Patrick Herbert 2020
Jackson Frei 2020

Gains

Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 2021 (Norths Devils)
Jack Murchie 2020 (Canberra Raiders)

2020 Loan Deals

Poasa Faamausili - 1 Month loan (Sydney Roosters)

Gains for 2021

Losses

Chris Satae (Hull FC)
Ligi Sao (Hull FC)

Uncertain for 2020

Api Pewhairangi
Sean Mullaney

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Terms agreed for Faamausili loan deal
Terms have been agreed between both clubs for Sydney Roosters front rower Poasa Faamausili to join the Vodafone Warriors on loan for an initial period of four weeks.

The move follows the NRL’s decision to allow the Vodafone Warriors to sign a loan player in the wake of their heavy injury toll which has seen them lose three players in the past week including middle forwards Leeson Ah Mau (pectoral) and Jazz Tevaga (knee).

Also sidelined for an extended period is utility back Adam Keighran while middle forwards Bunty Afoa and Jackson Frei plus centre Taane Milne are in Auckland recovering from season-ending ACL knee injuries.

A 14-game NRL player, Auckland-born 24-year-old Faamausili – 188cm, 108kg – is due to join his new team on Sunday after the Vodafone Warriors resume their 2020 campaign with their third-round clash against St George Illawarra at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday.

“We can’t thank the Roosters enough for their support with this. It’s a great gesture on their part, an expression of the goodwill we’ve witnessed from so many clubs,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

poasa-faamausili-1d.png

“(Head coach) Trent Robinson and everyone at the Roosters have been terrific with the way they have been there for us in what has been a difficult time. We’re thrilled Poasa will be joining us in what is a beneficial undertaking for both clubs.

“We’re also really grateful to the NRL for reconsidering our request for dispensation to sign a loan player to shore up our depleted resources in the middle forwards.”

Faamausili, a Glenora Bears junior, made his NRL debut in 2018 before featuring in 12 matches last season including the 22nd-round encounter with the Vodafone Warriors in Sydney in August.

His last appearance was in the Roosters’ second-round match against Manly Warringah in March.

“We’re thrilled to have a big forward of Poasa’s ability joining us,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He’ll add real value to our squad and we’re certainly looking forward to welcoming him into the group here in Terrigal.

“It’s wonderful the way Trent and the Roosters have offered their support at this time.”

A former Junior Kiwi, Faamausili has also played a total of 50 games for the Roosters’ feeder clubs Wyong and North Sydney in the Canterbury Cup NSW competition while he made 48 National Youth Competition appearances for the club from 2014-2016.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/05/28/loan-deal-terms-agreed/
I read to was extended "provided rooster get no injury"

Two forwards carried off, I thin k he will be recalled this week.

One Warrior

Bench
Panther secured on loan
Agreement has been reached for Penrith Panthers prop Jack Hetherington to join the Vodafone Warriors on loan immediately after Sydney Roosters front rower Poasa Faamausili was recalled by his club today.

Faamausili spent a month with the Vodafone Warriors on loan in the wake of their heavy injury toll among their middle forwards.

The 1.90m, 107kg Hetherington (24), Penrith’s 2018 NRL rookie of the year, has made 16 NRL appearances, the last of them in the Panthers’ first-round win over the Roosters in March.

“(Head coach) Ivan Cleary, the Panthers and the NRL have been terrific in making Jack available so quickly after we lost Poasa,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

“Jack had a breakout year in 2018 and will give us the qualities we’re looking for, a big man in the middle who carries the ball strongly and is tough defensively.

“As we saw with Poasa, loan agreements have great benefits for both clubs involved.”

Hetherington is from impressive rugby league stock. His father Brett played a total of 142 NRL games for Canberra and North Queensland from 1992-2001 while he’s a grandson of 1968-1978 Roosters great Bill Mullins and nephew of former Raiders and Roosters star Brett Mullins.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/06/28/panther-secured-on-loan/
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/06/27/faamausili-recalled/

One Warrior

Bench
Fijian flyer signed
Giant winger Junior Ratuva has been signed by the Vodafone Warriors until the end of the 2022 NRL season.

After an outstanding schoolboy rugby union career, the 1.96cm, 110kg flyer spent time in the Melbourne Storm’s system in 2018 making an immediate impression as a prolific try scorer.

Highlights reels show the Fijian tearing defences apart with his combination of power, pace and ball-playing skills when he was with the Victorian Thunderbolts in the Queensland under-20 competition.

Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan said Ratuva (21) has the ability to make a huge impact in rugby league.

“Junior is one of the best athletes I’ve come across in my time in footy,” he said.

“His progress has been hampered by injury but he’s now back in training and we expect him to develop into a high-class NRL player with some game time under his belt.

“Junior has worked really hard on his rehab and is primed to hit the ground running in 2021.”

Ratuva was originally brought to New Zealand from Cuvu College in Fiji to play rugby union for the King’s College First XV, where he excelled at lock or flanker.

His switch to rugby league immediately resulted in him being groomed as a winger.

JUNIOR RATUVA

Born: February 15, 1999

Birthplace: Fiji

Junior Club: King’s College (rugby union), Melbourne Storm

Position: Winger

Height: 196cm

Weight: 110kg

Previous Club: Melbourne Storm

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/06/30/giant-fijian-winger-signed/

One Warrior

Bench

Eliesa Katoa 2024
David Fusitua 2023
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2022
Ken Maumalo 2022
Agnatius Paasi 2022
Tohu Harris 2021
Bunty Afoa 2021
Karl Lawton 2021
Jazz Tevaga 2021
Leeson Ah Mau 2021
Adam Pompey 2021
Hayze Perham 2021
Nathaniel Roache 2020
Leivaha Pulu 2020
Gerard Beale 2020
Peta HIku 2020
Blake Green 2020
Isaish Papalii 2020
Adam Keighran 2020
Taane Milne 2020
Lachlan Burr 2020
Patrick Herbert 2020
Jackson Frei 2020

Gains

Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 2022 (Norths Devils)
Jack Murchie 2022 (Canberra Raiders)
Junior Ratuva 2022 (Melbourne Storm)

2020 Loan Deals

Poasa Faamausili - 1 Month loan (Sydney Roosters) Returned to Roosters 27/6/20
Jack Hethrington - (Penrith Panthers)
Daniel Alvaro (Parramata Eels)
George Jennings - (Parramata Eels)

Gains for 2021

Junior Ratuva 2022 (Melbourne Storm)

Losses for 2021

Blake Green
Gerard Beale

Losses

Chris Satae (Hull FC)
Ligi Sao (Hull FC)

Uncertain for 2020

Api Pewhairangi
Sean Mullaney

Last edited:

One Warrior

Bench
Murchie now extended until the end of 2022:

Murchie signed until 2022

Recently-signed back rower Jack Murchie has had his stay with the Vodafone Warriors extended by two years to the end of the 2022 season.

Murchie, who turned 23 last Friday, was initially signed for the rest of the 2020 campaign after joining the Vodafone Warriors in May just before the season resumed.

He made his debut in the first match back against St George Illawarra on May 30 and has played all five games so far, including the first start of his eight-game career against the Melbourne Storm last Friday night.

Vodafone Warriors interim head coach Todd Payten said the 193cm, 108kg Murchie made a huge impression the moment he came into camp in Terrigal on the Central Coast.

“Jack’s come into our bubble and has fitted into the group really well. He’s is a popular squad member,” he said.

“He’s working really hard on his game as he seeks to establish himself in our NRL squad. “Jack’s always doing extras with the coaches and has the work ethic we are looking for. He has contributed well as he looks to move his game to a new level.”

Murchie said he was thrilled to have his playing future secured for a further two years.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time here with the boys and getting to know them. I feel right at home,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to the next two and a half years to establish myself in the team and be the best player I can be.”

After playing 29 minutes from the bench in the 18-0 win over the Dragons and 31 against Penrith in round four, Murchie’s involvement has increased substantially with 60 minutes against North Queensland, 67 against South Sydney and 62 against Melbourne.

He joined the Vodafone Warriors from the Canberra Raiders after making his NRL debut in 2018 and adding a further two first-grade appearances.

Originally from Ulladulla on the New South Wales south coast, Murchie came through the grades with the Sydney Roosters and Canberra Raiders playing in a star-studded Roosters SG Ball Cup premiership-winning team.

He grew up playing in the centres before moving to the back row.

JACK MURCHIE

Born: June 26, 1997

Birthplace: Batemans Bay, NSW

Junior Club: Milton Ulladulla Bulldogs

Position: Back row

Weight: 108kg

Previous Clubs: Canberra Raiders (2018-2020)

NRL Debut: Canberra Raiders v Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Southern Cross Group Stadium, July 20, 2018 (Round 19)

Vodafone Warriors Debut: v St George Illawarra Dragons, Central Coast Stadium, May 30, 2020 (Round 3)

NRL Career: 8 appearances (2018-2020)

Canberra Raiders: 3 appearances (2018-2019)

Vodafone Warriors: 5 appearances (2020)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/07/03/murchie-signed-until-2022/

One Warrior

Bench
JTB's contract extended
After starting the year on a trial contract, big rookie prop Jamayne Taunoa-Brown has today had his Vodafone Warriors contract further extended to the end of the 2022 NRL season.

The 23-year-old was signed on a full-time contract just before the 2020 campaign began following an outstanding preseason which culminated in him making his NRL debut against the Newcastle Knights on March 14.

Since then he has gone on to play in each of the Vodafone Warriors’ first eight matches of the year and is set to make his ninth consecutive appearance – and his sixth start – in the club’s ninth-round encounter with Gold Coast at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday.

“Jamayne has been a great success story, coming from a train and trial contract to our top 30 and now extending until the end of 2022,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

Jamayne has been a great success story

Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager
“He’s worked so hard to progress from playing for Brisbane Norths in the Queensland Cup last year to an NRL regular in our game day 17.

“Jamayne has the potential to keep growing as a player and with more confidence and time will develop his attacking game to showcase his full skill level.”

Melbourne-born Taunoa-Brown said he is revelling in the opportunity to play in the NRL.

jamayne-taunoa-brown-1e.jpg

“I'm trying to make the most of my time in first grade and play as many games as I can,” he said.

I'm trying to make the most of my time in first grade

Jamayne Taunoa-BrownVodafone Warriors prop
“I'm enjoying playing footy at this level and with the group of players we have. The pace of the game has been quite quick, especially with the new rule changes, but as I’ve got a few games under my belt I feel like I’m getting used to it.”

Across his eight appearances, Taunoa-Brown has averaged almost 40 minutes a game, carrying the ball an average of 109 metres and making 28 tackles a game. He scored his first NRL try in the 18-0 win over St George Illawarra on May 30.

He was the players’ player of the day in the 37-26 win over the Cowboys when he carried the ball 178 metres from 15 runs including 72 post-contact metres and made 24 tackles with no misses.

The 1.94m, 114kg Taunoa-Brown has had an unforgettable debut year, not least due to the extraordinary circumstances he experienced in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Apart from breaking into the NRL, his season has been highlighted by representing the Vodafone Warriors at the Perth NRL Nines on February 14-15 before he flew directly to the Gold Coast to join the Australian Indigenous All-Stars for the encounter with the Māori Kiwis (he is eligible for both sides).

Taunoa-Brown’s rugby league journey took him through the Melbourne Storm, the Newcastle Knights and Norths Devils in Brisbane before earning an NRL contract.

jamayne-taunoa-brown-1d.jpg

He was with the Storm at under-18 and under-20 level in 2014 and 2015 (playing a total on 20 games) while he spent 2016 and 2017 with the Knights where he appeared in an NRL trial in 2017 as well as 21 under-20 games and 12 New South Wales Cup matches. In 2018 and 2019 he has amassed 47 appearances in the Queensland Cup.

Off the field, the big man has earned a reputation as an up and coming rapper and hip hop producer known as Yung Maynie.

JAMAYNE TAUNOA-BROWN

Date of Birth: November 17, 1996
Birthplace: Melbourne, Victoria
Junior Clubs: Altona Roosters (Melbourne)
Position: Prop
Height: 194cm
Weight: 114kg
Previous Clubs: Melbourne Storm (2014-2015), Newcastle Knights (2016-2017), Norths Devils (2018-2019)
Rep Honours: Australian Indigenous All-Stars (2020), Perth NRL Nines (2020)
NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Newcastle Knights, McDonald Jones Stadium, March 14 (Round 1)
Vodafone Warriors No: 241
NRL Career: 8 games
NRL Points: 4 (1 try)
New South Wales Cup Career: 12 appearances (2016-2017)
New South Wales Cup Points: 0
Queensland Cup Career: 47 appearances (2018-2019)
Queensland Cup Points: 40 (10 tries)

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/20202/07/09/taunoa-brown-contract-extended/

One Warrior

Bench
Loan deal for Eels duo
Agreement has been reached between both clubs and the NRL for Parramatta prop Daniel Alvaro and winger George Jennings to join the Vodafone Warriors as loan players for the next four weeks.

The 27-year-old teammates are set to join the Vodafone Warriors at their Terrigal base tomorrow and will train with their new team for the first time on Monday.

Their arrival comes as the Vodafone Warriors prepare to lose wingers David Fusitu’a and Ken Maumalo plus middle forwards Agnatius Paasi and King Vuniyayawa, all returning home for family reasons on Monday.

A fifth player Leivaha Pulu, another middle forward, has already reunited with his family in Auckland.

Alvaro, a seasoned six-year 88-game first grader, and 28-gamer Jennings, younger brother of NRL star Michael, will become the third and fourth loan players the Vodafone Warriors have used so far this season to boost their playing resources in the wake of a heavy injury toll and also players returning home.

daniel-alvaro-1b.jpg

The first was Sydney Roosters prop Poasa Faamausili, who was with the side for four games in June, and the second Penrith middle forward Jack Hetherington, who is having his fourth outing for the club against the Roosters today.

“We’re hugely appreciative of the support from (head coach) Brad Arthur and the Eels as well as the NRL for the work they’ve done in making this happen,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.

We’re hugely appreciative of the support from (head coach) Brad Arthur and the Eels as well as the NRL for the work they’ve done in making this happen

Peter O'SullivanVodafone Warriors recruitment manager
“We realise all clubs are under pressure through injuries, so this is a fantastic gesture from the Eels to help us at a time when we’re certainly thin on players.”

Alvaro and Jennings have been used just once by the Eels so far this season, Alvaro in their seventh-round 25-24 win over Canberra and Jennings in the club’s 18-22 loss to Manly in round 10.

“We’re delighted to have Daniel and George joining us to boost our stocks in the area where we’re the most exposed,” said Vodafone Warriors interim head coach Todd Payten.

Daniel has been around for quite a while now and will give us size and quality in the middle of the park while George is a real talent

Todd PaytenVodafone Warriors interim head coach
“Daniel has been around for quite a while now and will give us size and quality in the middle of the park while George is a real talent.

“We can’t thank Brad and the Eels enough for helping us out.”

Alvaro (190cm, 115kg), who represented Italy at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup, was awarded the Ken Thornett Medal after being voted Parramatta’s NRL player of the year in 2018.

george-jennings-1b.jpg

After making his NRL debut with Penrith in 2015, Jennings – 185cm and 100kg – signed with the Eels in 2017. The former Tonga international won the Jack Gibson NRL Coaches’ Award in 2018 after being voted Parramatta’s best back but has since had the formidable duo of Blake Ferguson and Maika Sivo in front of him.