What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

unforgiven

Bench
Isn't there a footballer in rehab right now due to poor life decisions? Hasn't he been a twat at times? He doesn't seem to be copping it.
A footballer who makes decisions to improve his life and deal with his issues, a footballer who has been to hell and back which is the root cause of his issues. Of course you have a crack at him.

Canard

Immortal
This is your "no one has heard of Jason Smith" moment, champ.

Bryce Cartwright could only hope to have the type of career Philips did. I guarantee Bryce's old man knows who Philips is and would love for his son to show even a 10th of the ticker Luke did when playing the game

I assumed his post was a joke/ troll.

Canard

Immortal
Its easier to pick on the tattooed dumbass who is only anti-vax because his wife told him to rather than picking on PI players who likely don't get vaccines on religious grounds.

To the best of my knowledge, they and their wives haven't given the press fodder via Instagram.

Secondly, because of the QLD govt decision it affected Bryce and the Titans much more than NSW/ACT based teams.

But, yeah play your identity politics.

Last Week

Bench
NRL boss Peter V’landys provides a leadership lesson
BRENT READ

Peter V'landys has boldly led the NRL into uncharted waters. Picture: Britta Campion
  • 9:13PM MAY 15, 2020
The NRL will resume in less than a fortnight. The AFL is only now getting its act together.

Rugby league has already begun the process of cutting costs to secure its future. Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett is demanding the AFL does the same.

The NRL has access to a line of credit for $250m if it wants or needs it. The AFL has had to put its hand out for a whopping $600m despite the rivers of gold that have flowed through AFL House.

Rugby league has blazed a trail for other Australian sports — and sports around the world for that matter. The AFL has watched on and seemingly struggled to get it right.

For years, the AFL and those involved in the sport have looked down their noses at rugby league. It seems fitting in the current environment, with The Last Dance anthology grabbing hold of the sporting public, to use a Michael Jordan analogy.

When Jordan was a youngster, his elder brother Larry was considered by many to have similar ability on the court. As Michael became a superstar, Larry was forced to live in his shadow.

He struggled to escape it, even in the moments they shared as brothers. Occasionally, they would play one-on-one matches.

According to the book by Roland Lazenby on Jordan’s life, Michael would pause, look down at Larry’s feet, and say: “Just remember whose name is on your shoes.”

At times over the years, rugby league fans could no doubt empathise with big brother Larry. The AFL has been a beacon for the footballing codes.

Rugby union dropped off as a serious contender years ago. Soccer keeps tripping over its own feet. The AFL was a monolith. It made a fist of a national competition. It smashed through the billion and then two billion barrier in broadcasting rights.

It formed a commission years before rugby league went down that route. Rugby league supporters could boast about dominating two states on the eastern seaboard. The AFL could respond by pointing out it had its roots planted in every state bar Tasmania, albeit at significant cost in Sydney and Brisbane.

Yet in recent months rugby league has shown what can be achieved when you have strong and determined leadership that charts a course and refuses to let anything stand in its way.

Former NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg would begin his days before his departure often in conversation with his AFL counterpart Gillon McLachlan.

ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys couldn’t give a hoot about what the AFL is doing. He has marched to the beat of his own drum, staring down governments, the players’ union, anti-vaxxers and now the head of the referees’ body.

He has juggled the competing interests of the broadcasters and, at least where the Nine Network is concerned, a very pubic propaganda campaign designed to drive down the value of the rights for this season.

He is on the verge of securing a long-term deal with Foxtel that will buy the game and Nine’s rivals — Seven and Ten — time to get their house in order and potentially make a bid to steal the commercial rights down the track.

Nine has been a favoured son of the NRL, but you get the sense that few tears would be spilt at Rugby League Central if Seven or Ten came to the table, such is the way rugby league has been browbeaten by its long-term partner.

The mere fact that Seven has been linked with rugby league shows the tide may be turning between the winter’s biggest codes, given it is locked in to the AFL.

The NRL looks to finally have its act together under V’landys. He has pushed through change almost single-handedly, the latest example the decision to revert to one referee.

It may prove a disaster, but even those who challenge the decision acknowledge rugby league is finally being led in a way that gives the code a chance to close the gap to the AFL.

V’landys has worked tirelessly, at times to his own detriment. A couple of weeks ago, after another night of only one hour’s sleep, his voice was raspy and he sounded like a broken man.

This week, the spring was back in his step. In his book on leadership, former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson talked about the ingredients of a leader.

“As a leader you can’t run from one side of the ship to the other,” Ferguson wrote. “People need to feel that you have unshakeable confidence in a particular approach. If you can’t show this, you’ll lose the team very quickly.

“There is a phrase in football about players ‘not playing for the manager’. Once that happens, the manager is as good as dead, because he has failed in his major undertaking — which is to motivate the players to follow him.”

V’landys has never wavered. When others wanted to push the start back to early June, he insisted on May 28. When others suggested state governments would stand in the code’s way, he insisted that rugby league would stay the course. He has dragged the code and its participants along with him. The AFL and its leadership could learn a thing or two.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/7194b3402b0b79489812b6e9096f4f92

Oh look. Another News Ltd article talking up V'landys. I'm shocked.

This entire article should be snowed under with salt.

Last Week

Bench
No need to get personal.

Isn't there a footballer in rehab right now due to poor life decisions? Hasn't he been a twat at times? He doesn't seem to be copping it.

League Unlimited is a good resource mainly because there are few other forums for the game, but it is no better at all than Facebook a lot of the time.

I have watched Bryce Cartwright from when he was in juniors. Because of his abilities he didn't have to learn the game properly to be a matchwinner. People in charge of his career, such as his coaches in the junior and lower grades and including Phil Gould who really ought to have spotted what was coming, let him down. He also repeatedly makes poor decisions when it comes to his partners, and he seems to be a rather weak character who is easily led. But he still has the time and the ability to put egg on an awful lot of faces and I truly hope he can do it.

Shits on James Roberts yet expects people to leave Cartwright alone.

Dickhead.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

Is there any wonder they are treating him like the second coming of god. He's extended the broadcast deal with them for another 4 or 5 years and probably cutting a deal also for the digital rights.

Good on you Pete, we'd hate for any competition down the track after all News Corp saved us from bankruptcy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

franklin2323

Immortal
Is there any wonder they are treating him like the second coming of god. He's extended the broadcast deal with them for another 4 or 5 years and probably cutting a deal also for the digital rights.

Good on you Pete, we'd hate for any competition down the track after all News Corp saved us from bankruptcy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fox sports are the only ones setup to handle it. The figures posted they are paying extra.. So not like it is a bad deal for NRL

Storm80

Juniors

Is that a satirical article?? Haha PVL clearly walks on water and is the second coming of Christ haha why does Sydney always have this incessant need carry on about it being no.1 haha it’s ludicrous. Both Aussie rules and league are here to stay. It’s so obvious playing things out in the media is about enhancing brand PVL rather than brand NRL. It’s really become farcical now

AJB1102

First Grade
No need to get personal.

You're right. Apologies.

Roberts? haha Jet is the opposite problem in he's a little too keen on the drugs. If the flu shot gave you a buzz he'd line up twice. No ones gonna beat up on a dude in rehab and he or his missus aren't campaigning to advocate whatever his issues are and spreading dangerously stupid medical theories.

League Unlimited is a good resource mainly because there are few other forums for the game, but it is no better at all than Facebook a lot of the time.

Shit facebook must've improved. I recall it basically being the dumbest of the dumb from a comments section of the DT.

I have watched Bryce Cartwright from when he was in juniors. Because of his abilities he didn't have to learn the game properly to be a matchwinner. People in charge of his career, such as his coaches in the junior and lower grades and including Phil Gould who really ought to have spotted what was coming, let him down. He also repeatedly makes poor decisions when it comes to his partners, and he seems to be a rather weak character who is easily led. But he still has the time and the ability to put egg on an awful lot of faces and I truly hope he can do it.

You'd know way more about him than me. I've really only got his NRL career to judge from. I've seen him do some impressive stuff with ball in hand but his defence is abysmal and the impressive stuff is not on show very often. As a fan I wanna see all players at their best so hopefully he does turn it round. Other than promoting anti vax garbage I have no interest in his personal life.

no name

Coach
He played for your team. Of course you've heard of him. He might not have knocked on three times in front of his own sticks in the second half of the 2003 GF like Mini did and you might have won with him. Who knows? And I didn't say Bryce was a better player than him. How can I say that if I don't remember him? Just better known.
If you’re over 30 and don’t know who Luke Philips is, you’re not a RL fan. Dude was a champion in the early 2000s.
Will undoubtedly have a record and legacy far greater than Cartwright’s.

Johnny88

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...ps-up-for-a-mate-in-need-20200516-p54tmr.html

Harsh reality TV
The TV rights talks between Nine (the publisher of this masthead), Foxtel and the NRL had been spirited but friendly for the most part but that has changed in recent times. Discussions about the revised season draw have been brutal; Nine and Fox have thrown out all niceties. There has also been some agenda-driven reporting, such as the story that Nine killed off Monday night football. According to the NRL, it was never seriously discussed for the return round but is on the draw for round four. So it’s hardly dead.

Nine and Fox are digging in and their partnership is now far from amicable. Acting NRL boss Andrew Abdo has been left to clean up the mess and had to work hard to get a draw out on Friday. Some big figures have been tossed around but these are the facts: for the next three years, Fox will get about a $100 million discount on its existing deal and Nine will save in the order of $70m. Fox has a long-term deal in place. Nine does not.

Diesel

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...ps-up-for-a-mate-in-need-20200516-p54tmr.html

Harsh reality TV
The TV rights talks between Nine (the publisher of this masthead), Foxtel and the NRL had been spirited but friendly for the most part but that has changed in recent times. Discussions about the revised season draw have been brutal; Nine and Fox have thrown out all niceties. There has also been some agenda-driven reporting, such as the story that Nine killed off Monday night football. According to the NRL, it was never seriously discussed for the return round but is on the draw for round four. So it’s hardly dead.

Nine and Fox are digging in and their partnership is now far from amicable. Acting NRL boss Andrew Abdo has been left to clean up the mess and had to work hard to get a draw out on Friday. Some big figures have been tossed around but these are the facts: for the next three years, Fox will get about a $100 million discount on its existing deal and Nine will save in the order of $70m. Fox has a long-term deal in place. Nine does not.
See ya later Nine. Piss off

Diesel

Coach
What’s the news on fox/seven renegotiating with AFL? I haven’t heard anything.
They are renegotiating, I saw an article somewhere about it yesterday. -try The Age perhaps - It’s just not being played out in the media.

mongoose

Coach
Is that a satirical article?? Haha PVL clearly walks on water and is the second coming of Christ haha why does Sydney always have this incessant need carry on about it being no.1 haha it’s ludicrous. Both Aussie rules and league are here to stay. It’s so obvious playing things out in the media is about enhancing brand PVL rather than brand NRL. It’s really become farcical now

lol sorry Melbourne is the capital of sports administrators. Just like it's the capital of everything else, so it loves to tell everyone...

Cactus

Juniors
What’s the news on fox/seven renegotiating with AFL? I haven’t heard anything.

That is because polite conversations border upon being inaudible.

The meetings have tea and scones and the silverware is reported to be out on display. The hushed tones are conducive to all parties being able to read the contractual clauses in peace and quiet before agreements are reached.

Latest posts