What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's greatest ever coaches

blue bags

First Grade
Roy Masters actually. Jack Clare wasn't even a football coach. He was just a talking head. This was an example of what can happen when you've got a committee that is rife with factions and you try to keep them all happy.

From the book "Men in Black"

"At the beginning of 1973, Penrith invited the best players of the (Australian Schoolboys, of whom Masters was coach) tour, to the club one weekend....Royce Ayliffe, Les Boyd, Ian Schubert, Jack Jeffries, David Tassell, Robert Finch, and maybe a couple more" Masters explained. "Finch didn't come- he was already contracted by St George. But the rest did. By then, Penrith officials probably feared a Masters takeover and no offers were extended to three future internationals and two regular first graders at other clubs."

Tom Wilson (under 23s coach) added to the story, recalling the day the Penrith committee met Les Boyd. "Les's father was not a tall man and a committeeman looked at young Les and said 'this kid is never going to grow- not for us.' "
roy was a school teacher, and was a under 23s coach at western suburbs magpies, he had some success doing that, so magpies gave him the coaching job for 1st grade , he coached the dragons aswell in the 80s , he got good results in all those rolls

Royce's period as Panthers coach coincided almost exactly with an era of increasing tries scored per game, rising from a low point of 5.4 in 1992 (the year before the 10 metre rule came in) to 8.5 in 2002. There was a plateau for a couple of years and then it started to fall again, ever so gradually. Last year it was down to 6.6.

My theory behind this fall is that it's the work of Craig Bellamy, who started to coach first grade at Melbourne in 2003, and his wrestle. Not just him, of course, but he started it, and it was successful so others copied. If they can stop it with the new rule (big if) we might see a few more tries.

I agree on the wrestle. I have found the game for the most part (the last 10-15 years) boring. All they do is bash it up and wrestle to the ground. The only entertainment these days if a team is chasing points and they throw it around.
A lot of skillful play in my opinion has left the game since I first started watching in the 80s.
The wrestle and tinkering with the rules has done that.
Maybe I was too spoilt watching Brandy, Brett Kenny and Cliffy Lyons growing up.
Look at lock. Used to be a skillful position.The link between the forwards to the halves.
Most teams use it as a 3rd prop these days.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree on the wrestle. I have found the game for the most part (the last 10-15 years) boring. All they do is bash it up and wrestle to the ground. The only entertainment these days if a team is chasing points and they throw it around.
A lot of skillful play in my opinion has left the game since I first started watching in the 80s.
Maybe I was too spoilt watching Brandy, Brett Kenny and Cliffy Lyons growing up.
Look at lock. Used to be a skillful position.The link between the forwards to the halves.

I am younger then most on here but I have noticed a drop in quality from 2000 on wards. Hence why I won’t bag the NRL for trying stuff

TheFrog

Coach
roy was a school teacher, and was a under 23s coach at western suburbs magpies, he had some success doing that, so magpies gave him the coaching job for 1st grade , he coached the dragons as well in the 80s , he got good results in all those rolls
He was our coach in 1974 before all those other roles, taking us to the final of the inaugural Amco Cup, but due to club politics Jack Clare was the official coach although no more than a talking head. Masters went back to reserves the following year when Mike Stephenson was made captain-coach.

If Roy Masters had been allowed to recruit the players he wanted and who wanted to play under him and given free reign with the coaching, especially given the success he would have later, I daresay our early history would read vastly differently.

blue bags

First Grade
He was our coach in 1974 before all those other roles, taking us to the final of the inaugural Amco Cup, but due to club politics Jack Clare was the official coach although no more than a talking head. Masters went back to reserves the following year when Mike Stephenson was made captain-coach.

If Roy Masters had been allowed to recruit the players he wanted and who wanted to play under him and given free reign with the coaching, especially given the success he would have later, I daresay our early history would read vastly differently.
thats right, panthers history would change , if only, if only , what can anyone do with history

I remember the days of the inside pass.

Craig Gower was an amazing attack player.

Back in the day, the players would twist and turn, outside backs would run onto the ball and into space.

Backlines would sweep back 30 metres.

Souths has some passing phases against us at BankWest last year. We were unhappy about the try, but as league supporters, it was bloody impressive.
The way the players were set, perfect execution, we were blown away.

franklin2323

Immortal
I remember the days of the inside pass.

Craig Gower was an amazing attack player.

Back in the day, the players would twist and turn, outside backs would run onto the ball and into space.

Backlines would sweep back 30 metres.

Souths has some passing phases against us at BankWest last year. We were unhappy about the try, but as league supporters, it was bloody impressive.
The way the players were set, perfect execution, we were blown away.

I would rather cop a try like that than soft tries

I would rather cop a try like that than soft tries

Yes, for sure.

Especially at the end of the match, game poised, there’s some confusion out the back and old mate runs between the players and scores untouched ( after improving his position).

Or bad ball security at a critical time. The easiest ball in the world to catch, no pressure.

Your full back throws the perfect pass to the winger and he misses it, regathers and fumbles for a knock on. On the next play, someone slips over and the boof forward on the other side, who hasn’t scored in 6 years, goes over with that two handed ball hug thing with a surprised look on his face. Then that ugly winning grin!

Thereafter, the other side pile all over him for half an hour, their fans start drumming and think they’ve won world war 2 and all that...

No one knows why we do it to ourselves!

A friend of mine, he lives and breathes errors. I think it’s a bit sad, but it makes him happy!! No place to hide. He used to play soccer.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
Yes, for sure.

Especially at the end of the match, game poised, there’s some confusion out the back and old mate runs between the players and scores untouched ( after improving his position).

Or bad ball security at a critical time. The easiest ball in the world to catch, no pressure.

Your full back throws the perfect pass to the winger and he misses it, regathers and fumbles for a knock on. On the next play, someone slips over and the boof forward on the other side, who hasn’t scored in 6 years, goes over with that two handed ball hug thing with a surprised look on his face. Then that ugly winning grin!

Thereafter, the other side pile all over him for half an hour, their fans start drumming and think they’ve won world war 2 and all that...

No one knows why we do it to ourselves!

A friend of mine, he lives and breathes errors. I think it’s a bit sad, but it makes him happy!! No place to hide. He used to play soccer.
the neville glover corner SCG perfect pass to the winger glover, he would have scored , to win, major semi final. you know the rest

John Hamblin

Juniors
Phil Gould will tell you himself that he took over a side ready to win a premiership. But I'd still agree with his place. The only change I'd make to be honest would be to put Hook ahead of Tim Sheens, who was learning the trade and would go onto much bigger things, but a single finals appearance in four years with the best cattle the club had ever had, doesn't put him above Griffin.

The other honourable mention I'd have is Len Stacker. 1980-82 I believe. He took over a club at its absolute nadir and didn't get them very high, but he paved the way for Tim Sheens. He instilled pride, if not victories into the team, John Peard was in there somewhere too, but he was a disaster. Stacker had a year at Wests and returned as assistant to Royce Simmons, whom he must have impressed during the latter's early career.

Peard I reckon. Great player, had a dry sense of humour on the ABC in later years which was welcome, but as a coach missed the finals at Parra with Sterling, Kenny, Grothe, Ella, Cronin, Beetson, O'Reilly, Edge, (need I go on), and couldn't do a thing with what was the genesis of the '91 side.

Should really have made that GF. I think the team and the coach didn't believe they deserved to make it. We would not have beaten the Rabbitohs but the Bulldogs were quite average.

In 1982 I was in charge of the gates at Penrith Park. Charlie Gibson was the CEO and John Peard the coach. Des Hasler's father would look after the press in the main stand. Des Hasler despite staring in many wins was not even a regular in the u23's. I asked John Peard , Daryl Brohman , Charlie Gibson and others why Des was not playing first grade they said he can't tackle and runs around like a chook with his head cut off. Des played the last 8 or 10 games of the seasoni in FG then joined Manly. . An interesting thought if Des had stayed would Greg Alexander looked elsewhere?

the neville glover corner SCG perfect pass to the winger glover, he would have scored , to win, major semi final. you know the rest

I’ve met Nifty, champion bloke.

I don’t think there’s even an immortal in the game that hasn’t made an error.

When Ben Hunt missed a sitter catch last year he paid a bit of a tribute to his gf gaffe, that transcended the moment I thought and it was in good spirit.

Greg Inglis and his miracle field goal that killed that game lol.

Trent Barrett knocking on when he was supposed to score.

But nonetheless these three players are worthy of the highest of accolades.

These examples seem to be beyond the powers of any coach!

blue bags

First Grade
coach killers, the worst mistakes to except and take, are the mistakes by the referee's, touch judges, and even the bunker, some of those mistakes are ridiculous , needs investigations :)

all humans make mistakes, like the chat in this thread, even coaches, player recruitment, managers , if only we could be fortune tellers, future lookers

coach killers, the worst mistakes to except and take, are the mistakes by the referee's, touch judges, and even the bunker, some of those mistakes are ridiculous , needs investigations :)

all humans make mistakes, like the chat in this thread, even coaches, player recruitment, managers , if only we could be fortune tellers, future lookers

lol, there’s some truth in that.

Tens, maybe sometimes, hundreds of thousands of us fans see the clearest knock on in the history of the game but well and truly missed by the officials, backed up later by the head of referees in a glib press conference, making full admissions.

Everybody says they won’t watch another game ever again, which lasts until next weekend.

Our lot in life!

I can recite the game plan of every coach in the nrl:

“ to play the game at their end of the paddock, show intensity in our tackles, respect the ball and be more disciplined.”

This is the “scoop” the half time reporters give radio stations when they’ve spent the the whole of half time pacing up and down the tunnel.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
One only has to look at the classic retro games Kayo/Foxtel has been putting on over the past few months to realise how far the standard has fallen.

The standard of this sport has become boring, predictable and robotized. If Rugby League was a horse, it would have been put down years ago.

roofromoz

First Grade
I think Men in Black was a reprint and update.

Definitely an update post 1991 and used Bound For Glory for a lot of it, not necessarily word for word... but I think a bit was added in Men in Black between 1967 and 1991 - the overlap was that one of the co-authors for both books was Gary Lester.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade

Penrith could have possibly been the 'Fibros' rather than Wests... who knows.

roofromoz

First Grade
An interesting thought if Des had stayed would Greg Alexander looked elsewhere?

May have considered that reported offer to join Parramatta more heavily, but it would have depended maybe on what Tim Sheens had planned given he was appointed first grade coach for 1984 - a halves combination of Hasler and Alexander would have been a salivating prospect no doubt.

blue bags

First Grade

so roy was a panthers reserve grade coach, then an assistant 1st grade coach, then went back to reserve grade, then went to 3rd grade for the magpies, then 1st grade magpies , very interesting