What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The great Arthur Summons RIP

Brutus

Referee
Just heard Dean Ritchie announce the sad news on Sky Sports Radio this morning.

He passed away at 9pm last night age 84.

i5766.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Wests Tigers statement:

Wests Tigers would like to extend their condolences to the family of Arthur Summons following his passing last night.

A talented rugby union and league player, Summons enjoyed a strong club career in league with the Western Suburbs Magpies while also thriving on the international stage. The versatile playmaker represented City, Sydney and New South Wales before featuring for Australia on 27 occasions between 1961 and 1964.

He also captained the national rugby league team in five undefeated test matches from 1962 until 1964 before also later coaching the side.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe paid tribute to an iconic figure in the game.

"On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, I'd like to send my condolences to Arthur's family," Pascoe said. "We have lost a true giant of rugby league.

"Arthur was a wonderful man and player in his time and helped us all celebrate our great game for what makes it the best. He epitomises the importance what our game expects on and off the field and he will be remembered as for that.

"On behalf of all at Wests Tigers, Western Suburbs and the rugby league family as a whole, this is a truly sad day for all of us but one that also allows us to look back and celebrate the wonderful history of our game and the role Arthur played in that."

Having finished his career with the Wagga Magpies, Arthur's contribution to rugby league was recognised by becoming a Life Member of the Sydney Cricket Ground as well as an inaugural member of the Western Suburbs Hall of Fame in 2008.

He was also inducted to the NRL's official Hall of Fame registry.

A private service for Arthur will be held in Wagga Wagga later this week. The thoughts of all at Wests Tigers are with Arthur's wife Pam and his family during this time.

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34555-arthur-summons-dies-at-84/

TheFrog

Coach
He was just before my time following the game, but I've seen the scratchy film of the GF's. What surprises me is that he only played 60 first grade games, having switched from Union mid-career.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
A sad loss to game, my condolences to the Summons family.

Ive heard so many stories of Summons its incredible what he's done for Rugby League after converting from Rugby Union.

He become the first captain/coach to lead an all Australian team to an Ashes win in 1963, also coached Country to a famous win in 1975 which I believe had the likes of Cronin and Bretnall.

Of course, he's most remembered for that 'image' in 1963 that will forever be part of the game.

I was lucky enough to go to Wests Magpies function a few years back and he and Provan were able to attend. They spoke for about half n hour about that famous game, Arthur said Wests were robbed and Lawler backed the Dragons, Provan shrugged it off but acknowledged how good the Magpies were. (They were close to ending the Dragons premiership streak). There was good banter from two gladiators. It was a top night.

I'm so glad the trophy is named after the pair and also the medal now goes towards sportsmanship.

Its not often you see opposition players embrace each other after the Grand Final.

That's whats great about our game, play tough for the 80 minutes, then when the full time siren sounds, they're all mates.

RIP Arthur Summons.