What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whilst he’s at it - The BIFF

Chimp

Juniors
So PVL appears to be a pretty ballsy guy - he reckons he knows what makes the game more entertaining and ain’t afraid of trampling over people, or being unpopular in his quest to make the game great - so I wonder if he has the balls to take on the PC brigade and soften the approach to punishing the biff.

I genuinely have never met a rugby league fan in person who doesn’t like the biff - the only ones I’ve ever heard say they’re glad it’s gone is people on the internet (and I don’t believe they really mean it - they’re just after virtue points).

Taking away the biff has had many unintended consequences;
- The ‘all in’ handbags, shirt pulling, and verbals we see now is a blight on the game
- Cheap niggle and wrestling moves (chokes, joint pressure etc) are at an all time high
- Milking, verbals and general whining is at an all time high
- Players ‘staying down’ hurt after what is relatively minor contact is at an all time high (making our players look either soft or cynical - Getting like soccer)
- Halfbacks/Wingers and players who previously would have been dealt with have suddenly become plastic hard men, knowing there is no physical comeback (Thurston slapping was a great example of this)

My view on the vast majority of stuff that is similar or sits in those points above is that it would all end immediately if they knew they’d be physically held to account, immediately.

And most importantly, the game is far less exciting and enjoyable without the anticipation and spectacle of a bit of fair biff between rivals. Origin has nowhere near the same excitement or anticipation nowadays. Games used to be built up based on rivalries in the media in the lead up to a game (Chief and Spud, countless Origins, Storm/Manly etc), and that made for a spine tingling atmosphere on game day.
You only have to look in the media and on the rugby league TV programmes at how often they review and talk about previous famous fights to know how entertaining it is.
It’s what the fans want, and I reckon with a loud enough movement, PVL might be the man with the resolve to bring it back (though in a relatively controlled manner - cheap shots and king hits should still be heavily punished). The yellow/red cards should be used to control the game in situations where the biff is preventing the game flowing - but often, a stink is exactly what is needed to get it out of everyone’s systems and then let the game flow.

Thoughts?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I loved the biff as much as anyone. But personally I can’t ever see is going back to the biff unless the world turns into a post-apocalyptic landscape like Mad Max.
“Turns”?

Have you been grocery shopping lately when there’s only 3 potatoes left in the fresh department?

Chimp

Juniors
I loved the biff as much as anyone. But personally I can’t ever see is going back to the biff unless the world turns into a post-apocalyptic landscape like Mad Max.
I’ve always thought the same, but PVL does appear to be made of stern stuff, and it sounds like he won’t be around long term, so could make the change and move on, without the worry of being held accountable if it went wrong or someone pulled legal action against the sport.

Fangs

Coach
It's great. It always was great. But times have changed and I wouldn't allow it back. It's 2020.

We will always have Youtube.

Chimp

Juniors
Stop calling it ‘biff’. It’s stupid. It’s called fighting.

Go watch boxing or MMA if that’s what you want.
I don’t want to watch boxing or MMA, I want to watch the best version of Rugby League....

Care to answer any of the points I raised?

T.S Quint

Coach
I don’t want to watch boxing or MMA, I want to watch the best version of Rugby League....

Care to answer any of the points I raised?

Your only point is that you want fighting allowed back in Rugby League.
Then again fighting was never actually allowed in Rugby League though. There were players getting sent to the bin in the 80’s for fighting, just as they should.

This “players getting away with trash talk and niggle” rubbish...who cares. If it’s bad enough that it’s affecting the play, penalise them. If not, get over it.

mozza91

Coach
I enjoyed a punch on as much as the next fan but the game doesn’t lose anything without it.

Timbo

Staff member
You’ve already got parents refusing to let their kids play the game in increasing numbers due to concerns over concussion and the like, and you want to make it legal to punch each other in the head?

Can this surprise off season please f**king end already?

taipan

Referee
Punching belongs to the ring.Not in rugby league.
Any suggestion to bring it back,is ludicrous.