What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

taipan

Referee
Yeh I see the signs, amongst the 10,000 fans lol. I'm not saying tribalism doesnt exist, just that it isnt driving people to games, to tv or to buying memberships in any great numbers therefore of how much value is it in creating a thriving professional sport business?

The best Jnrs went over to RU as it was the only opportunity to play professional "Rugby" and stay in their home city. Not a problem in Sydney.

Accepted you wull some of thefans from that relegated club. Next generation, if RL puts the yards in not to lose them will support someone else and the free space created witht he license will hopefully see the new club bringing more fans than the lost one. You dont support a struggling business in a saturated market when you have other markets with no service at all crying out for that product. Its hard but thats business, want local follow your local comp.

I'm sure they'd like to! didnt they offer big money to try and get one of them to go to GC? They've relocated two already, I wouldnt say its impossible in years to come a coupe more may follow.

Really? They have had $6mill over cap last two years and many seem no closer to breaking even let alone making a profit. Your own Sharks managed to lose $5million in that same period!
Only way it will happen is if the NRL gets serious on imposing a spending cap.

Anyways discussed this a milllion times in the NRL expansion area so back to Vlandys

The 10,000 fans at ANZ stadium to be precise, the worst stadium to watch rugby league in NSW.Your mob would like 10,000 fans in a sh*thouse stadiium.When they were flicked, they didnlt go to other clubs.
FTA and Foxtel are not the only way to watch games ,apart from attendances.
I repeat time and time again the fanatics will buy memberships, the casual attendees may with better facilities, rather than the ones on offer .

You still don't get it where are the North Sydney juniors numbers compared to the past, and where are their old fans ,this is in Sydney where there are other clubs.But I keep repeating Sydney is spread all over the shop geographically.it's never been planned transport wise from day 1..

The next generation in Sydney are not going to follow another club that is not in the their region/suburbs.Else the numbers for the merged clubs would be far higher than they are now.
They were struggling ,they may not do so now.And once again the Storm were struggling financially for a hell of a time, and relied on News.Titans needed private enterprise, yet their crowds for 600k people ,show they continue to grab attention.

What if Perth get into financial difficulty after a few years, the NRL should bail them out?That is an AFL city,It's easy to sit back and suggest club X should go in Sydney, if you want other codes your main competitor to fill the vacuum ala Bears,then go for it.The TV ratings would take another dive in Sydney.
I've monotonously spelt out the idiocy of Cronulla management over the years ,and the financial results.
Ironic one of the best Pay Tv ratings on Foxtel is Storm V Sharks<How would Titans Reds rate in Sydney and Brisvegas, because that's where the TV ratings are.

Yes ,back to V'Landys, not everyone likes his style but he got 28th May set up early ,was bagged for it, even the AFL media types admitted he's got guts..The Warriors are now here. Qld Govt has come on side.He's trying the one referee control, and if it reduces the crap wrestling, he will have done his job there.If he fails in that, he admits it's not guaranteed.
Still haven't finalised TV deals, but women's rl is to be included, that is plus.
I want to see in 5 years a decent Future Fund where we can buy into a stadium and secure mgt rights.
The code has needed a doer for years, someone with as knowledge of rugby league. Oh,and like other humans they make mistake.
We may never know the TV actuals but get some idea by the journos guesswork.Anyone who thinks we were going to get more ,is dreaming.Even the AFL is getting ready for a slash and burn.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
yeh and that probably cost the game around $500k when they could have just waited for his contract to run out in October. At a time when nrl wasteage of money is in the spotlight no one seems to have questioned this?

Yes but if they waited they couldn't use the fear factor of the game going bankrupt from being mismanaged, so they struck fast hence the TV deal done in a handful of weeks.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
@Desert Qlder can correct me on this but in my memory of the BRL "Easts Tigers" is not commonly used when referring to that team(even if it's technically correct)

Most people would say Brisbane Easts or Eastern Suburbs, maybe that's changed since 87 though.

I would think if you lived in Brisbane before 1988 calling them Easts would be quite common as was Wests, Souths etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You really think the game would have died? I don't think so. It had assets etc.

sounds dramatic doesn’t it lol? If the game had kicked off in June or July instead it wouldn’t have died, in fact if it didn’t play again this year it wouldn’t have died.
I dont mind that we pushing ahead with an early start and we got lucky with the transmission rate meaning govt is a lot less concerned so will allow it. Sometimes you make your own luck and in this instance we appear to have been on the front foot for a change as the roll of the dice has come up for Vlandys.
Having said that it has come with its usual RL drama; ceo sacked, media partners publicly shtting on the nrl, players slammed for vaccinations and social distancing failures, refs threatening strike action, major changes to the way the game is played and so it goes on. Never dull in RL!

mongoose

Coach
the game would have died lol, yeah professional rugby league would just cease to exist.

worst case scenario - a bunch of teams go into administration, we come back with a rationalized comp and different tv deal in 2021. There is always going to be some form of professional or semi pro rugby league, unless the whole of society just breaks down.

franklin2323

Immortal
the game would have died lol, yeah professional rugby league would just cease to exist.

worst case scenario - a bunch of teams go into administration, we come back with a rationalized comp and different tv deal in 2021. There is always going to be some form of professional or semi pro rugby league, unless the whole of society just breaks down.

That wouldn’t be the NRL then. It would be a new comp

Storm80

Juniors
@Desert Qlder can correct me on this but in my memory of the BRL "Easts Tigers" is not commonly used when referring to that team(even if it's technically correct)

Most people would say Brisbane Easts or Eastern Suburbs, maybe that's changed since 87 though.

Is this for real? Haha yes I called them Easts Tigers. Specifically so not to confuse people with the Roosters, because I was only gonna call them Easts.

Although if we want to be 100% diehard then they were actually called Coorparoo first so maybe real Easts fans are only those that still refer to them as Coorparoo.

Seriously how petty are you?

Canard

Immortal
Is this for real? Haha yes I called them Easts Tigers. Specifically so not to confuse people with the Roosters, because I was only gonna call them Easts.

Although if we want to be 100% diehard then they were actually called Coorparoo first so maybe real Easts fans are only those that still refer to them as Coorparoo.

Seriously how petty are you?

Run me through your extensive knowledge of the BRL, AFL man.

Canard

Immortal
sounds dramatic doesn’t it lol? If the game had kicked off in June or July instead it wouldn’t have died, in fact if it didn’t play again this year it wouldn’t have died.
I dont mind that we pushing ahead with an early start and we got lucky with the transmission rate meaning govt is a lot less concerned so will allow it. Sometimes you make your own luck and in this instance we appear to have been on the front foot for a change as the roll of the dice has come up for Vlandys.
Having said that it has come with its usual RL drama; ceo sacked, media partners publicly shtting on the nrl, players slammed for vaccinations and social distancing failures, refs threatening strike action, major changes to the way the game is played and so it goes on. Never dull in RL!

Would you like to take a stab at how the AFL have gone during this time....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...recovers-from-stab-wound-20200517-p54tr6.html

Storm80

Juniors
Of course, not Easts Tigers though.

I, and most Qlders I know, referred to them as Easts, Eastern Suburbs or the Tigers all the time.

To avoid confusion about whether u were talking QRL or NSWRL you would say Easts Tigers (as opposed to the long winded Eastern Suburbs Tigers) to avoid people thinking u were referring to Balmain or the Roosters.

This confusion over teams obviously increased dramatically when the Giants and Broncos began with much more Qld interest in NSWRL.

big hit!

Bench
when your board take over running the operations you know you have a disfunctional business.

given the way he's making rule changes on a whim, he always had designs on making significant changes.

It's not surprising he had a falling out with Greenburg. He came in, and basically began doing Todd's job - even punting him from meetings - instead of providing guidance, oversight and working with the board and executive to set strategy and objectives for the game.

Storm80

Juniors
Would you like to take a stab at how the AFL have gone during this time....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...recovers-from-stab-wound-20200517-p54tr6.html

Haha what is ur incessant compulsion to compare or demean rival codes.

It’s true some Afl players haven’t covered themselves in glory In the past few months. Lachie Hunter and Stevens included plus the Crows not adhering to social distancing requirements when training.

Player behaviour in any code is pretty much up to the Individual as Cleary and others have demonstrated.

As for the administrative arms of each Code. Well I give NRL points for getting the game re-started to avoid bankruptcy but I also take points away for the unnecessary drama along the way.

Less than two weeks away from kick off and the dispute with the refs is ridiculous. The finger pointing at the Refs Union by the NRL is even more ridiculous and unnecessary. They will most likely resolve their problems at the fair work commission - but it’s just another unnecessary drama. So to the rule changes mid season.

In comparing the two approaches, I much prefer the more professional consultative approach (AFL) to the unconsultative drama riddled approach (NRL). And I’d be just as critical of the AFL administration if they started to mimic the NRL approach.

Latest posts