What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Ref

The Rosco

Bench
This is probably true. I have no doubt that the coaches are going to master cheating it and the commentators are going to be death riding it.
However, it is still great that finally the authorities are saying on behalf of fans we have had enough of the wrestle. If this fails they should put together another project Apollo committee with the goal of getting rid of the wrestling.
Would that committee be called Apollo II ?
I'll fetch my coat and see myself out . . . .

T-Boon

Coach
How will it get rid of the wrestle? All its changing is 6 again over penalty at the discretion of the ref. If anything it is more likely to lead to more wrestling when you have opposition in their own half on tackles 1&2 as you are unlikley to concede ground with a penalty kick.

There are only two ways to get rid of the wrestle. Either limit to two men in the tackle or speed up the play of the ball call so players have to get off quicker, but we tried that and the media whinged at amount of penalties.

I am curious about that myself. But that is the whole reason they brought it in so I am keen to have a look. Maybe it is that the refs will call 6 again a lot more than they would call a penalty. So maybe we will see a lot more of them.

gerg

Juniors
Players do a better job of working the player on the ground. But there were numerous times in the 80s and 90s where players were pulled down for a second time without penalty.

I have issue when they brought in 'dominant'/'surrender' tackles in, because it effectively told players you can take your time with the tackle.

Yes, hated the dominant/surrender nonsense. Players would lose their footing and then refs claiming surrender. There should be less interpretation from refs, not more.

Players, fans, commentators and most importantly referees should be able to look at any part of a game and know the ruling for it and it should be consistent.

T-Boon

Coach
Look at NRL.TV state of origin 1983 game 1 and you can see in the first 7 minutes why the game of RL was so great and doing better than AFL.
In first 5 minutes: brief kicking duel from kick off, weirdly brilliant set play from penalty, chip kick from Sterling, offloads and passing from kick restart resulting in interception by Kenny.

LineBall

Juniors
How will it get rid of the wrestle? All its changing is 6 again over penalty at the discretion of the ref. If anything it is more likely to lead to more wrestling when you have opposition in their own half on tackles 1&2 as you are unlikley to concede ground with a penalty kick.

There are only two ways to get rid of the wrestle. Either limit to two men in the tackle or speed up the play of the ball call so players have to get off quicker, but we tried that and the media whinged at amount of penalties.

Limiting men in the tackle is always going to be difficult. I would go back to 5 metres, no interchange - only replacements and get the refs to penalise any slowing of the play-the-ball harshly. Having the defence only going back 5 metres reduces the need for them to slow the play-the-ball, and helps keep the ref closer to the ruck. Obviously less back and forth means we need to find other ways to introduce fatigue, hence getting rid of the interchange.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am curious about that myself. But that is the whole reason they brought it in so I am keen to have a look. Maybe it is that the refs will call 6 again a lot more than they would call a penalty. So maybe we will see a lot more of them.

Look forward to playing "how many tackles in this set" guessing game lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Limiting men in the tackle is always going to be difficult. I would go back to 5 metres, no interchange - only replacements and get the refs to penalise any slowing of the play-the-ball harshly. Having the defence only going back 5 metres reduces the need for them to slow the play-the-ball, and helps keep the ref closer to the ruck. Obviously less back and forth means we need to find other ways to introduce fatigue, hence getting rid of the interchange.

I do miss the days when being benched was a sign of disgrace and not being in the starting 13 was a slight.
Got a fleeting reminder of it watching Latrell get benched at start of season lol.

Chimp

Bench
Watched the '95 classic call game at the weekend on Fox.
A joy to behold. 1on1 or 2on1 tackles, straight up and play the ball, no wrestle, no man with the ball trying to milk a penalty, every play of the ball 1-2 secs quicker than now, one ref having no problem managing the game, touchies running on the field to report something. No multiple replays of every decision,commentator moving on not spending the next 4 sets complaining the ref got it wrong.
Dont know if we'll ever be able to turn back the clock with the game becoming as scientific and dissected as it is these days but geez it would be nice.

If we manage to speed up the play through reducing the amount of wrestle, plus shot clocks etc, the ball will be in play longer, meaning the broadcasters have less time to keep replaying and dissecting decisions - in theory!

T-Boon

Coach

I am watching state of origin 1990 on NRL.TV and I think the rule then was D back 5 metres and A back 5 metres. The game is perfect.

Somehow bring that back.

Reactions: siv

siv

First Grade
I am watching state of origin 1990 on NRL.TV and I think the rule then was D back 5 metres and A back 5 metres. The game is perfect.

Somehow bring that back.

Yes totally agree

Fixes a lot of problems

YoHadrian

Juniors
I do miss the days when being benched was a sign of disgrace and not being in the starting 13 was a slight.
Got a fleeting reminder of it watching Latrell get benched at start of season lol.

If Latrell got benched he'd no doubt take a few dozen mates for a piss up/shooting trip again & then say he did it due to self esteem issues.

Frailty

First Grade
Do you know what actually makes the games in the 90s look like they flow better?

The tendency for referees not to blow the play dead for a scrum after a knock forward. If the non-offending team gained possession 5m behind where it a scrum would be set, it would still be play on. As a result, you have games not being stopped as frequently.

Further to this, bobbles whilst playing the ball were allowed to be play on unless it was horrifically bad. Again, less stoppages.

If you want to speed up the play the ball, they don't need to bring in a six again rule. Remove the 'dominant' and 'surrender' tackle calls, and go back to simply that the player who effected the tackle must release the tackled player. Naturally the more dominant a tackle, the longer it probably will take to get up off a player. If they don't - blow the penalty. Allow the referees to follow through with it.

But of course, let's make it a coin toss for referees as to whether the same infringement is a penalty or restarting the set - because that makes total sense!

T-Boon

Coach
Do you know what actually makes the games in the 90s look like they flow better?

I think teams in the 90s were spending way less time on defense so maybe it was like 50/50 time spent on attack/defense. Now (as the coaches keep saying) it is 80/20 defense/attack which is in all honesty revolting in my opinion.

Basically defences are way too discipled and structured for the games good now and it all flows from the wrestling and winning the ruck.

From contact to play the ball in the 90s would have been maybe 4 seconds. Now it would be 10 seconds.

Canard

Immortal
I think teams in the 90s were spending way less time on defense so maybe it was like 50/50 time spent on attack/defense. Now (as the coaches keep saying) it is 80/20 defense/attack which is in all honesty revolting in my opinion.

Basically defences are way too discipled and structured for the games good now and it all flows from the wrestling and winning the ruck.

From contact to play the ball in the 90s would have been maybe 4 seconds. Now it would be 10 seconds.

That's a stunningly shit take, even for the forum simp.

seanoff

Juniors
Like all professional sport nrl has become stats driven and risk averse.

the nba is borderline unwatchable now. Dribble dribble dribble. Throw up a 3. If it misses other team rebounds. Does the same thing. Rinse repeat for 48 mins. Houston are brutal to watch.

soccer. Ugh. Keeper. 4 defenders. Deep back mid. One guy high in attack. 2 of the other 4 deep back wide and one high mid. One central. Knock it around wait wait wait hope not to make an error.

nfl has always been possession above everything.

NRL. A lot of 5 one out hit ups and then kick. Rinse repeat. Wait for an error. Only attack inside the 30.

afl. 14 players within 30m of the ball. If the ball is inside the 50. It’s not unusual to have 17 players from each side in there. It’s hard to watch. The coaches love it. Christ knows why.

ice hockey. See soccer.

Etc

Limiting men in the tackle is always going to be difficult.

Im more likely to be the next man to land on the moon than see a rule change like this.

I’d prefer a 6-man bench with 6 replacements per game.

6 man bench ensures a team isn’t penalised too much (through no fault of their own) if a player fails HIA. Or 2 players fail.... Or in other words, there’s less urgency to keep a player out there by a coach if he’s had a head knock. You could also have more variety on the bench. Eg “little men” up your sleeve to inject if the game is opening up. Brings them back in vogue.

An interchange of more than 8 means you can have brute power forwards in rotation and fresh all game - Less fatigue. Less than 6 and a team can be completely bollocksed through necessary enforcement of HIA. Anywhere between 6-8 for mine is the sweet spot, along with a 6 man bench.

I’d go for 6 and 6 - would cover it most bases.