What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs the Knights

Kilkenny

Coach
They have had a bad run.
In the pre season they lost Afoa, Curran, and the up and comer Jackson Frei to long term injuries.
Elisia Katoa in the two matches he has played looks promising.
Curran is fit now, but the other two will be big losses. I rate Jazz and Ah Mau is very underrated.
A tough year for them.

It is a huge shame for them given the sacrifices they have been prepared to make for the overall benefit of the game. Sometimes adversity can make individuals or team collectively stronger I don’t think the Warriors overall have the collective talent in there squad to win too many games this season but I hope they prove nuisance value other than in Round 4 when obviously I hope we comfortably get the two points against them.

Kilkenny

Coach
Given there is no NSW Cup competition do coaches adopt different strategies around the selection of there 17 game day squad’s or could we expect to see some flexibility with some minimal chances each week. For example could Ivan Cleary one week select Leota/Martin and the next week opt for rotating in Hetherington/Burns. Whare/Chrichton perhaps could be rotated. I don’t know which way Ivan is going to go but to me it somewhat make’s sense to have some squad rotation rather than simply select the same 17 each week until injury or suspension forces changes.

Kilkenny

Coach
Given there is no NSW Cup competition do coaches adopt different strategies around the selection of there 17 game day squad’s or could we expect to see some flexibility with some minimal chances each week. For example could Ivan Cleary one week select Leota/Martin and the next week opt for rotating in Hetherington/Burns. Whare/Chrichton perhaps could be rotated. I don’t know which way Ivan is going to go but to me it somewhat make’s sense to have some squad rotation rather than simply select the same 17 each week until injury or suspension forces changes.

The Stephen Chrichton selection off the bench clearly worked for us in the two rounds of the 2020 competition before it’s suspension but generally I don’t like the selection. Now that Edwards is back, from my perspective we either find a spot for Chrichton in the starting 13 or he is not in this 17. Now that Capewell is fit he is an option for the outside backs if someone was to get injured so the need to the likes of Chrichton on the bench is just a waste of spot in my opinion. I accept he has had injury issues during this long pre season but at some stage once he is fully fit we simply have to fit a spot for our wrecking ball in Spencer Lenui.

franklin2323

Immortal

I think clubs will organise something between them. Afterall they all have the same rules so all clubs are safe

franklin2323

Immortal
The Stephen Chrichton selection off the bench clearly worked for us in the two rounds of the 2020 competition before it’s suspension but generally I don’t like the selection. Now that Edwards is back, from my perspective we either find a spot for Chrichton in the starting 13 or he is not in this 17. Now that Capewell is fit he is an option for the outside backs if someone was to get injured so the need to the likes of Chrichton on the bench is just a waste of spot in my opinion. I accept he has had injury issues during this long pre season but at some stage once he is fully fit we simply have to fit a spot for our wrecking ball in Spencer Lenui.

Crichton needs to play somewhere. Leinu would play for Leota in my top team

TheFrog

Coach
I just don’t see the value off the bench, just play the kid and Whare or Naden are collateral damage. Allows us to get Lenui on our bench and we are much stronger overall. I can’t drop Moses he needs to be in our 17, very underrated.
You wouldn't drop Leota for Leniu. The latter will get his chance, he'll just have to wait his turn like everyone else.

franklin2323

Immortal
I just don’t see the value off the bench, just play the kid and Whare or Naden are collateral damage. Allows us to get Lenui on our bench and we are much stronger overall. I can’t drop Moses he needs to be in our 17, very underrated.

He would be my fullback but Edwards will get picked. So it leaves bench until injury or bad form strikes.
Leota offers zero off the bench. If he is to play should start with Tetevano off the bench.

bench of

Crichton
Martin
Leinu
Capewell

offers plenty of spark which is perfect for the limited minutes they will get most weeks.

With 20 rounds and no byes. At some stage players will need to be rested that is where guys like Leota will be valuable across the year

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
He would be my fullback but Edwards will get picked. So it leaves bench until injury or bad form strikes.
Leota offers zero off the bench. If he is to play should start with Tetevano off the bench.

bench of

Crichton
Martin
Leinu
Capewell

offers plenty of spark which is perfect for the limited minutes they will get most weeks
I don’t understand the hate for Moses.

I don’t think he has ever been utilised to fulfil his true potential.

He gets over the advantage line, has really good leg speed, can stand in tackles and off load even if Hook tried to coach it out if him.

I think Moses is now at the age where front rowers are coming into there peak and I think he can be a beast for us if used properly and given more than his usual 25 minutes. He needs to come on first change at the 25 minute mark and get the first 20 of the second half.

Ive seen him play the full 80 or big minutes in NSW Cup and he can be a beast if used properly.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don’t understand the hate for Moses.

I don’t think he has ever been utilised to fulfil his true potential.

He gets over the advantage line, has really good leg speed, can stand in tackles and off load even if Hook tried to coach it out if him.

I think Moses is now at the age where front rowers are coming into there peak and I think he can be a beast for us if used properly and given more than his usual 25 minutes. He needs to come on first change at the 25 minute mark and get the first 20 of the second half.

Ive seen him play the full 80 or big minutes in NSW Cup and he can be a beast if used properly.

He ave less than 80m a game last year. About the same this year so while he is decent as a team can do better there. Leinu for example is the 3rd fastest at the club over 40m. We saw what difference Api makes get that leg speed and will be very hard to put down

Kilkenny

Coach
He ave less than 80m a game last year. About the same this year so while he is decent as a team can do better there. Leinu for example is the 3rd fastest at the club over 40m. We saw what difference Api makes get that leg speed and will be very hard to put down

Im not sure the metres gained stats provide the true value of Moses worth to the team.

Kilkenny

Coach
Even allowing for the fact we are light on quality in our outside backs I do think we have the depth and quality in the forwards to go close to a top four position. We have great depth in the forwards.

MugaB

Coach
You wouldn't drop Leota for Leniu. The latter will get his chance, he'll just have to wait his turn like everyone else.
I'm of the opinion that we should loan Spencer out the the warriors for a month, to give him some 1st grade time (as long as we are not playing against the warriors with him there) which will give us time to see if tamou, leota, and tetevano aim up, then when the warriors return back to NZ (if) spencer can return, that way we're not affected by pushing him up our ranks too early, plus he gets to play 1st grade, right now with no reserve grade, anyone in the lower deck of the 30 of all clubs would be itching to play something, i mean harry grant deal for the tigers seems to look solid, it can be done with our guys too, and if we are winning our games without his presence, then he is atleast gaining that experience somewhere.

I also like mcgregors idea of a reserve grade nines comp, prior to the 1st grade game, its shows there is a bonus game without pushing the younger guys too hard as its only a 18min match

Panther Mick

Juniors
It will be at Bankwest Stadium given that's our allocated "home" ground... for now.

Nope Campbelltown.

Campbelltown Stadium will become the new home of the Penrith Panthers until at least Round 9 of the NRL.

The Panthers were originally expected to play out of Bankwest Stadium once the season resumes next week, but will now join the Dragons, Tigers and Raiders at Campbelltown.

The NRL will use six venues from Rounds 3 to 9 before reassessing the situation – Campbelltown Stadium (Panthers, Dragons, Tigers, Raiders), Bankwest Stadium (Eels, BUlldogs, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Roosters), Central Coast Stadium (Knights, Warriors, Sea Eagles), Suncorp Stadium (Broncos, Titans), QCB Stadium (Cowboys) and AAMI Park (Storm).
https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/05/panthers-to-call-campbelltown-home/

TheFrog

Coach
Any ideas why Panthers Stadium was overlooked? Anything to do with proximity to Newmarch House?

Kilkenny

Coach
The grounds chosen clearly favour the games heavyweights so no surprises there.

There are clubs more disadvantaged than us so we have to suck it up until at least round 9 when hopefully common sense prevails and fans are allowed to attend games.

Seriously the whole erring on the side of caution approach is killing our economy particularly given our total infections and unfortunate fatalities overall are way less than some countries have endured in a couple of hours never mind a full day.

Latest posts