What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI signs one year deal with Warrington

Rabbits20

Immortal

Well well this is awesome news.

Was just on radio as well.

I am so proud of him and wish him all the best!

Also GI wasn’t medically retired as many are saying. He forfeited his contract as his body was breaking down and he’d lost passion for the game. What we pay him now in his job at Souths still comes out of our cap.

Pommy

Coach

Well well this is awesome news.

Was just on radio as well.

I am so proud of him and wish him all the best!

Also GI wasn’t medically retired as many are saying. He forfeited his contract as his body was breaking down and he’d lost passion for the game. What we pay him now in his job at Souths still comes out of our cap.

if he forfeited his contract why is it coming out of the cap? Genuine question.

Rabbits20

Immortal

NRL PHYSIO
@nrlphysio

The player (in this case Inglis) seems to be entitled to the entirety of the contract, but what often occurs is a renogatiation between club/player & a discounted sum is paid out. By reports Inglis chose to give up entirety of his contract & take on a club role (included in cap)

Inkers75

Juniors
My what a surprise this is. Next season, all being well, I be able to see the great man himself, obviously he will be on the losing side but still!

callmack1

Staff member
Greg Inglis making return with English club Warrington: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/05/20/greg-inglis-making-return-with-english-club-warrington/

Rabbitohs Support Greg Inglis’ Move to Super League in 2021: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...ort-greg-inglis-move-to-super-league-in-2021/

‘I’ve got the appetite’ - Inside the secret conversations that pulled GI out of retirement: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/5a9e932c8e5de96f008c4979ad2245bd

Why Greg Inglis can’t return to Souths as GI speaks on bombshell return: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b44284f0c35296ec1f9bd050c2c80c9d

‘Warrington to win next year’ - Cook, Gagai back GI to make a mark in Super League: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/3eb283e54b5bdb4514e146606c4ee44c

Greg Inglis' Rugby League return is 'madness.': https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/rabbit...e-return/fca1134a-16ae-4b6b-a419-bc4f0f7d2a73

What Phil Gould learned from chance Greg Inglis encounter before comeback announcement: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/phil-g...comeback/25031138-beed-476c-81c8-eb46a24f5acd

callmack1

Staff member
Might have to start watching Super League! Awesome news for GI and I'm absolutely stoked for him! Great to see him so happy and healthy again to the point where he can return. I wish him all the best and really hope he kills it over there because he deserves it.

However, a part of me feels quite sad and a bit gutted because this means that he's leaving us, potentially for good. I really hope that doesn't prove to be the case as not having him around in the future will hurt but it is a possibility.

callmack1

Staff member
Inglis hits out at ‘conspiracy theories’ as he rejects suggestions Souths exit is a salary cap rort: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b44284f0c35296ec1f9bd050c2c80c9dhttps://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/b44284f0c35296ec1f9bd050c2c80c9d

‘The door is always open for great Queenslanders’ - Kevvy happy to entertain Inglis’ Origin return: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...s/news-story/17c8ed3509709595d7f63b0890da5149

Greg Inglis aiming to return to world-beating form after shock rugby league retirement backflip: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/greg-i...n-wolves/9c0a02e1-5dbc-46ee-a6f8-d1ed1f7b1eca

Travitoh

First Grade
My what a surprise this is. Next season, all being well, I be able to see the great man himself, obviously he will be on the losing side but still!

Here's hoping! Haha.

All the news over here is about the EPL restarting but is there any suggestion that the Super League will be playing again soon?

Inkers75

Juniors
July was being mentioned last I think.

The Challenge Cup, scheduled in June, has been cancelled.

Here's hoping! Haha.

All the news over here is about the EPL restarting but is there any suggestion that the Super League will be playing again soon?

LittleWayne

Juniors
They've got no chance getting the ESL back on imo.

The push in the UK is for EPL because there's more money involved and the season is nearly finished.

The Scottish fa have wrapped up there season and league 2 has.

Travitoh

First Grade
They've got no chance getting the ESL back on imo.

The push in the UK is for EPL because there's more money involved and the season is nearly finished.

The Scottish fa have wrapped up there season and league 2 has.

Different situations. SPFL and EFL have completed 80% of their season and it's better financially for their clubs - particularly the smaller clubs - to call the season now than it is for the ESL who are in a similar boat to the NRL in needing to play to collect this seasons tv revenue.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Daily Telegraph,

South Sydney angered by NRL rivals ‘misinformation’ over Greg Inglis salary cap exemption

Incensed South Sydney CEO Blake Solly has slammed complaints about Greg Inglis’ retirement salary cap relief and challenged the NRL to inspect their rivals’ financial transparency.

South Sydney have hit out at the NRL clubs criticising the $1 million salary cap relief the Rabbitohs received for Greg Inglis.

“We know who is driving the misinformation,” said South Sydney club chief executive Blake Solly, who has challenged the NRL to inspect the salary cap activity of all other clubs in the competition.

The drama unfolded a day after The Daily Telegraphexclusively revealed Inglis had sensationally ended a self-imposed retirement to sign a one-year deal to play with English Super League club Warrington next year.

Solly said clubs were misinformed, confused and “don’t understand” the salary cap exemption his club received when Inglis retired.

The Rabbitohs were incensed over a confidential email NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks sent to club CEOs at the time which explained South Sydney’s cap exemption.

“We would be happy for the NRL to provide the same level of transparency and clarity about the salary cap practices of some other clubs,” Solly said.

“In my time in the game, the NRL’s decision on the salary cap treatment of Greg’s salary in 2019 and 2020 is the only time the NRL has communicated such information to all clubs.

“It was also discussed at length in a CEO’s meeting in May, 2019, where all clubs were supportive of the NRL’s position.

“What’s important is that everything Greg was paid in 2019 was included in the salary cap. Some people don’t understand that. It annoys me.

“We know who is driving the misinformation and ringing around.

“I’m surprised, given the transparency in the process and the clarity provided to all clubs 12 months ago, that there are still some clubs confused as to what happened.”

a8245bfbccd222667f3593e0db74f2bf

The email to South Sydney sent by NRL COO Nick Weeks.

Inglis was paid around $800,000 for last season and that money was included in South Sydney’s salary cap.

He was still medically fit to play but friends said he retired in April last year because he had “lost the desire to play”.

Inglis did not receive any of his $1 million contract money for this year, so Souths didn’t have to fit that amount under the cap in 2020.

Inglis also rejected speculation about his comeback.

“Someone’s always going to bag it,” he told Nine News. “They’re going to come up with their own conspiracy theory. The people involved in my retirement, and the way I’m coming back, they know the real story. We went down the right path. We didn’t use any loopholes. Everything was by the book. We went in a straight line, from A to B.”

Despite reports suggesting Inglis was earning $300,000 a season at Souths after he retired, the real figure was about $100,000, the amount he earned this year as a development coach with the club.

However, clubs are furious Souths received $1 million in salary cap relief for Inglis this year, claiming he had a contract for 2020 and the amount should have been included.

“I couldn’t believe they got that through,” a rival club CEO said.

Another official said: “The $1 million exemption allowed Souths to go out and sign Latrell Mitchell.

“If you sign a player long-term, that is your decision. If he retires, stiff shit. The money should still go into the salary cap.”

Under an agreement reached between the club and the NRL, Inglis was permitted to earn his lost contract money through his new job at Souths.

Having found a new club, Inglis can now be taken off Souths’ football department salary cap. He will remain employed at Souths until he joins Warrington.

The drama over the Inglis money prompted Weeks to circulate an email to every club CEO on May 16 last year.

“Given the level of interest in how the league would approach that salary cap treatment, we have provided information to the media today to explain the approach,’’ the email said.

“I note that clubs were supportive of the auditor’s approach we explained at the meeting, so I expect you will mirror that support when approached by the media.

“The principles applied to the Rabbitohs’ submission are consistent with past applications and will be applied in the same way for future applications.”

Solly said: “All of Greg’s salary for 2019 was included in the salary cap. It was Greg’s decision to retire in 2019. It certainly wasn’t a medical retirement.

“He was the one who effectively walked away from that 2020 contract because he had lost the appetite to play.

“It wasn’t a career-ending injury or a medical retirement where the club was still liable. He was fit to play, medically fit to play.

“Greg has worked with the club in the 2020 season as a development coach, much like Cooper Cronk does at the Roosters.

“We went through a process with the NRL in 2019 and before 2020 to show Greg’s job as development coach was bona fide. The NRL was satisfied this was the case.”

An NRL spokesman said: “There are no additional salary cap implications for South Sydney.

“Greg Inglis was not medically retired and he has not re-signed with South Sydney or another NRL club.”

Inglis’s surprise comeback has sent shockwaves through the game and Warrington have promoted the deal as “one of the biggest signings in Super League history”.

“I can’t wait to get over there and play for a club that has so much rich heritage,” said Inglis, who will join former NRL stars Blake Austin and Gareth Widdop in the Wolves backline.

“I’ve seen the success the team has had in the Challenge Cup and I want to help the team to deliver more glory.

“I’ve played over in England many times in representative footy and love how passionate and vocal the supporters are.”

Wolves and former St George Illawarra coach Steve Price said: “Having had 12 months out of the sport he has had time to refresh both mentally and physically, and he is focused on having a positive influence on Warrington Wolves.”

Warrington CEO Karl Fitzpatrick described the signing as a “gift”.

Inglis’s contract with Wolves is subject to him being granted a visa.