What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI - out of retirement to Warrington

blue bags

First Grade
Thank f**k greenberg gone , for the clowns upset he was sacked , it was because of this shit everyone wanted him to be , like as if the fans give a f**k about the finances . He played favourites and was bad for the game.

souths sgiuld get a $1m penalty to cap for their rorts , we know the real reason he “retired”, he caMe back overweight and Bennett didn’t want to play him .

just like the burgess Rort, gets injured , came back and played semis but needed medical retirement for injury that happened mid year and he was able to come back and play
dd37ec6cf27634d8db405917549e1d6a

:cool:

:cool::)

Last edited:

Chimp

Bench
Sam will be next.
Wouldn’t be surprised, I remember an article saying he needed 18 months rest, then shoulder re-con and he’d be fit again..... that for me isn’t a medical retirement, that’s just a bad injury and unlucky on Souths as those timescales took him to the end of his contract...

Time will tell...

Valheru

Coach

This thread explains it best

You are not understanding the issue.

No one is saying he was paid after he left.

His full salary should have been included in the cap though so as to not have a situation where players can sign long contracts and "retire" mid way through to take a cushy office job that then does not count towards the cap.

t-ba

Post Whore
If souffs are rorting the salary cap they should be made to play for no points this year.

And given this season doesn’t count anyway, make them play for no points next year too.

Or just kick them out of the comp.

I don't think it's fair to include that money on the cap without a player.

Give them Cartwright for that cap value.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
You are not understanding the issue.

No one is saying he was paid after he left.

His full salary should have been included in the cap though so as to not have a situation where players can sign long contracts and "retire" mid way through to take a cushy office job that then does not count towards the cap.
The problem is players do this all the time. It's not uncommon for players not to see out the final years of the contract and retire or break the final years of their contract to seek a deal in England. It's been a common occurrence for years, people have just taken the blinkers off because GI has done it.

Hell just the year before in 2018 Peter Wallace retired mid year, foregoed the remainder of his contract and was literally running water as a trainer for Penrith just weeks after his retirement.

TheFrog

Coach
Hell just the year before in 2018 Peter Wallace retired mid year, foregoed the remainder of his contract and was literally running water as a trainer for Penrith just weeks after his retirement.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't recall any salary cap discount for Wallace, or Sam McKendry for that matter. I think they got a discount for Tim Grant though, following the Inglis precedent, but he was on chickenfeed anyway.

The Rosco

Bench
Latrine offered to double him on the Jetski, but GI decided to drive instead.
. . . with the fox riding shotgun.
Back OT, I need to get me a 956 function super calculator to work out the difference between the Robbie Farah situation costing WT fines and cap penalties . . . . and this GI circus being trumpeted as a victory for humanity.
LOL@souffs

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
The problem is players do this all the time. It's not uncommon for players not to see out the final years of the contract and retire or break the final years of their contract to seek a deal in England. It's been a common occurrence for years, people have just taken the blinkers off because GI has done it.

He then didnt go & play in England.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't recall any salary cap discount for Wallace, or Sam McKendry for that matter. I think they got a discount for Tim Grant though, following the Inglis precedent, but he was on chickenfeed anyway.
I believe they did get cap relief for Wallace. As it was later in the year and wallace was on a smaller contract it was obviously a lot smaller scale, but the principle was the same.

Im unsure of McKendrys retirement. He may have retired without foregoing the remainder of his contract, which would have meant Penrith would have taken the full hit of the cap.

Pommy

Coach
The cynic in me wonders if after a season at Warrington he "regains his passion for the game" and signs a new contract to play with Souths next season.

let’s be real he wasn’t cutting it before he walked away from his deal. He’s will have had over 18 months out before he runs out for wire. With travel restrictions it could be over 2 years without a game. I’m less convinced he’s going to have an impact over there than I am Sonny Bill will.
GI will be the biggest name on a long list of aussies who can’t handle being away from home etc etc

Vic Mackey

Referee
The cynic in me wonders if after a season at Warrington he "regains his passion for the game" and signs a new contract to play with Souths next season.

Well if he does that then that’s fair enough, as his contract with Souths expired at the end of 2020. So after that he can do whatever he wants. The issue and why it seems to be such a rort is Souths were allowed to get a dud contract off their books due to a guy ‘retiring’ when less then 12 months later, and when still in said contract period, he is suddenly out of retirement. Meanwhile the money saved had allowed Souths to sign 3 State of Origin players.

Last edited:

JamesRustle

First Grade
Couldn’t play to ‘his standards’ so didn’t want to play anymore.... do a nice office job instead for less $, oh and also a top up from a role with the NRL....
then coincidentally when his playing contract would have expired, he finds his love for the game again and can play to ‘his standard’.....
Souths fans, Souths and the NRL can dress it up however they want, everyone can see exactly what has happened.
He was too fat and lazy (or mentally unhealthy blah blah blah), Bennet wasn’t having it, he wasn’t gonna be of any value, so he ‘retired’ to an office role. Despite what is said by all parties, there’s no way he has lost out financially, and now he goes elsewhere to play (where they’re willing to accept his shit standards just because of his name and draw) when his contract would have ended.

it’s obvious....
Then he goes and signs Roberts and Mitchell... maybe he has a thing for fat, lazy, mentally unhealthy centres.

jack coburn

Juniors
Can't you all just lay off souths.
You know they have one rule and the rest have another. Anybody who acts surprised is living in fairy land. Wait for Burgess to regain the passion it will be hilarious but I'm sure dingo dan and all his alter egos will try to convince us plebs nothing to see here.
Must be good to have a billionaire and Hollywood star showing the rest of us how to do it.

Latest posts