What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

siv

First Grade
So if we have no referees

What's Plan B?

Promote NSWRL and QRL reserve grade referees

Or are they part of the same association

Or bring in ex players to referee games

Canard

Immortal
either
1. Your right and the commission should resign for signing off on a contract without a safeguard force majeure
2 we are accepting less money as we are getting something in return
3 Vlandys is a plant and just doing a good thing for his mates in the media

everyone accepts that this years tv money should be less but why accept less for the last 2 years? (If they do)

time will tell

You are holding the NRL to a standard far beyond reasonable. With, the reported exception of Wimbeldon, no other organisation had insurance or contractual clauses for this. Everyone organisation in Australia is facing massive revenue losses as a result of this (everyone single one).

It's virtually impossible to have a force majeure clause for something as major as this given Australia's size and scale, and quite frankly even if it did it wouldn't be worth the paper its written on, as insurers having to pay out monies for this sort of even would just go broke. I f**king hate Channel 9 with a passion, but its not sensible to think that there revenue is taking a hit for the next 2 to 5 years, 80% of something is better than nothing at all.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
So if we have no referees

What's Plan B?

Promote NSWRL and QRL reserve grade referees

Or are they part of the same association

Or bring in ex players to referee games

Little Johnny's dad will do it. They'll give him a whistle and a hi viz vest and off we go. He can be paid $8 and get a pie and coke from the canteen at the end of the game.

mongoose

Coach
The way teams play has been extremely robotic almost, and the kick has become way too important.

Will this work, don't know. However happy in a compromised season we are trying something.

I hope you are talking about the kick for goal, cause there isn't that much 6th tackle kicking anymore....

QLD Cup and NSW Cup refs.

They will be in the same organisation as the NRL referees. You might get some, but they won't be anywhere near the best.

Have a look at other sports overseas where the officials took industrial action and the sport brought in "replacement referees". The replacements were terrible.

T-Boon

Coach
I feel like I am the only one who is pleased to know there actually is a referees union and that they are letting themselves be known. They are more necessary to the game than everyone except the players. They are also excellent at what they do and better than for example the commentators who criticise them.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I feel like I am the only one who is pleased to know there actually is a referees union and that they are letting themselves be known. They are more necessary to the game than everyone except the players. They are also excellent at what they do and better than for example the commentators who criticise them.
Shut up ref

Frailty

First Grade
QLD Cup and NSW Cup refs.

Good luck. A significant part of the Referees union are the Queensland and NSW Cup referees.

The NRL need the referees. Look at how the NFL went to start off the 2012-13 season with replacement referees.

Cactus

Juniors

10 minute.jpgarrow.png bin.jpg

T-Boon

Coach
In my opinion the refs should have a representative on the NRL committee. They are a group of people who arguably love the game more than the clubs do. Maybe get Hollywood Harrigan.

lockyno1

Post Whore
They will be in the same organisation as the NRL referees. You might get some, but they won't be anywhere near the best.

Have a look at other sports overseas where the officials took industrial action and the sport brought in "replacement referees". The replacements were terrible.

So no worse than the usual refs then. It won't get to this stage anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In my opinion the refs should have a representative on the NRL committee. They are a group of people who arguably love the game more than the clubs do. Maybe get Hollywood Harrigan.

Ideally there should be a game committee made up of ref, coach,player and club reps chaired by the NRL. Then you dont get rogue Vlandys running off and changing things that he thinks is a good idea at the drop of a hat.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I hope you are talking about the kick for goal, cause there isn't that much 6th tackle kicking anymore....

Your side is a bit different (and one of the few that I like to watch as a neutral), but the bomb and hope for the best has become way too much of a factor across the board personally. I've actually proposed for a long time that if you use a kick in the try scoring play you don't get a kick at goal. I know I'm probably alone on this.

lockyno1

Post Whore

Not the worst idea. Harrigan would be ideal​

lockyno1

Post Whore
I hadn't heard this suggestion before. Interesting.

It's one that I'd like trialled personally first. Not proposing it to come in tomorrow or anything. It would force teams to run the thing. I just hate the chook lotto bombs to the wings off about 3-4 pairs or hands and somehow that's a try...that's just luck. As I said I don't expect many to agree just a personal view.

T-Boon

Coach
Ideally there should be a game committee made up of ref, coach,player and club reps chaired by the NRL. Then you dont get rogue Vlandys running off and changing things that he thinks is a good idea at the drop of a hat.

I should be on that committee

mongoose

Coach
Your side is a bit different (and one of the few that I like to watch as a neutral), but the bomb and hope for the best has become way too much of a factor across the board personally. I've actually proposed for a long time that if you use a kick in the try scoring play you don't get a kick at goal. I know I'm probably alone on this.

I agree the game is robotic but that tactic isn't used as much as it used to be, neither is the grubber kick. Some people hate it but the zero tackle rule has reduced the use of kicking pretty effectively and also the quick restart.

Latest posts