What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the best winger to have played the game in the last 40 years? Semi or Grothe?

Semi or Grothe

• Semi

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Grothe

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

crocodile

Bench
Damn. I guess I forgot how fast Grothe was.
He had plenty of pace alright. His chase down of Michael O'Connor was just a whisker too late but he did this stuff all the time. I can't remember how many times he caught a runaway that looked impossible.

Sure, Semi could do this too but there's no way that Guru was inferior to him.

It's like cricket, mate.

You don't include Bradman because it's so obvious. Etu is the same

I didn't realise that Etu was a sectarian, self-promoting wanker who secretly supported the Nazis, and then, during the 1961 tour by the West Indies, invited the white players to his house.

Bazal

Post Whore
I didn't realise that Etu was a sectarian, self-promoting wanker who secretly supported the Nazis, and then, during the 1961 tour by the West Indies, invited the white players to his house.

Yeah but no one cares about all that because he was good.

Etu, I mean. Obviously

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
He had plenty of pace alright. His chase down of Michael O'Connor was just a whisker too late but he did this stuff all the time. I can't remember how many times he caught a runaway that looked impossible.

Sure, Semi could do this too but there's no way that Guru was inferior to him.
That kick from Mares across the field is one of the worst I have ever seen

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Do we really need to even have this debate, whats next who was more intimidating and menacing - Ray Price or Nathan Cayless which is such an insult to Nathan.

Anyway, Eric Grothe was one of the most complete wingers we have ever seen. He pretty much revolutionised the wing spot. Not only could Eric score a try from anywhere, he could also save you one by his very underrated defensive abilities. Unfortunately I don’t think Eric ever lived up to his true potential. He was constantly injured or strapped up, and apart from a few years never seemed to be a to find consistent rhythm. People talk about the try against Canterbury in the 83 finals as the best try ever, and yeah it was amazing. People tend to forget this was done under the 5 metre rule, people forget that this was against a team that was become or had become a defensive juggernaut under Ryan. Semi didn’t bring anything to the position which hadn’t been done before. Yes a great player, but I think more a great player due to his anticipation aspects as opposed to strength. Right place right time kinda player.

Eric grothe snr was just way before his time, a tradegy we never really get to see him perform his art on a consistent basis enough.

Was never a better site then to see an opposing winger in the complete clear with no one in site and then to see a Eric appear from no where and cut him down inches from the line.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I might add Eric performed on the biggest occasions, many of semis heroics where in garbage time with result already determined.

I would compare semi more to a pat Richards type.

84 Baby

Referee
Semi didn’t bring anything to the position which hadn’t been done before.
Disagree. His ability to change angles when receiving passes at the line was insane. How many times did you see his direct opponent have him covered on the outside, only for the pass to come and Semi is running the inside line to score virtually unimpeded? As you said it is good anticipation but it was a devastating skill that almost no one can replicate and even if they have, nowhere near as often as Semi did.
He was basically stepping his opponent but before he received the ball

Latest posts