What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GI - out of retirement to Warrington

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I understand the concerns but I’m not sure how you police that objectively. You can’t force someone to come to work everyday and an employer shouldn’t be punished if an employee decides they won’t do it anymore.
I’m not even saying there’s nothing going on behind the scenes but that’s pure unprovable hear say at best.

‘yes but they signed him “Long term” just like burgess ( which means market not operating freely as they can pay less in the first years and just pay them out after they “retire “ . If they offered 1 or 2 years at their age and conditions would they have stayed , just like with the storm rort of 2 constracts it doesn’t allow opportunity for other teams to sign these guys .

‘also in this instance he “retire “ and then still on their books off field . If it was legit they wouldn’t put him on the books after he retired

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Or trying to help a premiership winning legend of the club and game through a difficult part of their life. Being so cynical and pessimistic isn’t mandatory to be a fan of the sport.
Why shouldn’t we clubs try rort the system all the time , and maybe just maybe we might believe it if they essentially didn’t do the same shit with burgess and if you recall in a article his brother basically said he wouldn’t be surprised if he came back after injury healed.
Face it the “pride” are shifty and can’t believe some media clowns want Richo as next ceo

Pommy

Coach
‘yes but they signed him “Long term” just like burgess ( which means market not operating freely as they can pay less in the first years and just pay them out after they “retire “ . If they offered 1 or 2 years at their age and conditions would they have stayed , just like with the storm rort of 2 constracts it doesn’t allow opportunity for other teams to sign these guys .

‘also in this instance he “retire “ and then still on their books off field . If it was legit they wouldn’t put him on the books after he retired

so no clubs sign big name retired players?

Pommy

Coach
Why shouldn’t we clubs try rort the system all the time , and maybe just maybe we might believe it if they essentially didn’t do the same shit with burgess and if you recall in a article his brother basically said he wouldn’t be surprised if he came back after injury healed.
Face it the “pride” are shifty and can’t believe some media clowns want Richo as next ceo

I think all clubs are shifty. Successful clubs are playing to letter of the law not the spirit of it. Less successful clubs make evidence of their dodgy dealings.
if you think Souths are the only people trying to push the rules to their benefit you’re a f**king idiot.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
I think all clubs are shifty. Successful clubs are playing to letter of the law not the spirit of it. Less successful clubs make evidence of their dodgy dealings.
if you think Souths are the only people trying to push the rules to their benefit you’re a f**king idiot.

‘It is blatant that’s why uproar , I gather your a Souths supporter to be stoutly defending their actions . If that’s the case no use continuing as majority of supporters are blinded by their clubs actions. Just like telling a roosters supporter there is no sombrero

as to your last sentence read my first line that you replied too

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
Not a South's supporter and far from it, but here's my take.

I have no issue with Inglis retiring and whatever he got paid by the club from that point on counting towards the cap fornhis new role and the rest not. Him retiring is no different to you or I retiring -his employer needs to replace that employee and uses his wages to do so.

If his payment in whatever role post retirement counted towards the cap, that is also the correct assessment, as you are still in employ, just in a different role. Again, no different to you or I going part time or changing roles perhaps for family reasons for example.

The rort here was one perpetrated by Todd Greenberg and the NRL organisation. You can't have an organization make a decision about a contract of a player and then offer that same player a job which would effectively reimburse said player for the income forgiven by the decision your organisation made. Inglis should never have been offered a role with the NRL until the time of his contract expired. It reeks of a conflict of interest. And I for one wouldn't be surprised if GI was told his contract with the NRL won't be extendedafter this year and that's why he is going to the UK to play.

Pommy

Coach
‘It is blatant that’s why uproar , I gather your a Souths supporter to be stoutly defending their actions . If that’s the case no use continuing as majority of supporters are blinded by their clubs actions. Just like telling a roosters supporter there is no sombrero

as to your last sentence read my first line that you replied too

I’m both a Souths and wire fan but I’m normally pretty balanced on these things. I didn’t move until I was 30 so I haven’t had the hate bred in to me. I could easily have been a fan of any Sydney club had they had a group of Englishmen in the side when I made the move.
I’m not saying it didn’t happen just that there’s no way of proving it so what can be done about it?

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
The cynic in me wonders if after a season at Warrington he "regains his passion for the game" and signs a new contract to play with Souths next season.

If possible he'll be back this year. The end of season SOO series will be a possibility.

simmo05

Bench

I have no issue with Inglis retiring and whatever he got paid by the club from that point on counting towards the cap fornhis new role and the rest not. Him retiring is no different to you or I retiring -his employer needs to replace that employee and uses his wages to do so.

If his payment in whatever role post retirement counted towards the cap, that is also the correct assessment, as you are still in employ, just in a different role. Again, no different to you or I going part time or changing roles perhaps for family reasons for example.

The rort here was one perpetrated by Todd Greenberg and the NRL organisation. You can't have an organization make a decision about a contract of a player and then offer that same player a job which would effectively reimburse said player for the income forgiven by the decision your organisation made. Inglis should never have been offered a role with the NRL until the time of his contract expired. It reeks of a conflict of interest. And I for one wouldn't be surprised if GI was told his contract with the NRL won't be extendedafter this year and that's why he is going to the UK to play.
The issue is the likes of matai, Stewart, Wallace, who medically retired, and had their full contract counted towards the cap. Inglis had his removed, and then some bullshit amount added for his made up role at the club.

simmo05

Bench

Don't forget the ringing endorsement that helped gi become the only person in history to beat a drink driving charge

Fangs

Coach
his deal is for 2021 where’s he going to be playing to get fit enough to play SOO this year?

Deal smeal. We are talking about origin here. And as already mentioned QLD are struggling for centres. If Inglis wants to play in it then he has till June 30 to get on Souths roster again.

And don't be surprised if Cam Smith decides he wants to finish his career in the maroon as well. This years Origin series will be a very different one.

Pommy

Coach
Not as if QLD have too many options anyway.

They would be better off blooding a youngster over a guy who won’t have played in over 18 months and whose body was broken when he was.
If GI is really their best hope they should just f**k it off and go on holiday early.

Pommy

Coach
Deal smeal. We are talking about origin here. And as already mentioned QLD are struggling for centres. If Inglis wants to play in it then he has till June 30 to get on Souths roster again.

And don't be surprised if Cam Smith decides he wants to finish his career in the maroon as well. This years Origin series will be a very different one.

I don’t think Souths will want to touch him as that will open up a can of worms about his previous contract for this year.

MKCS

Juniors
Is anyone surprised that Souths once again gets some kind of preferential treatment and the other teams are told to just get over it? They are the darlings of the NRL I still remember the 2014 NRL Grand Final where the entire pre show was dedicated to how great Souths are and how Souths winning will be a great thing for the league. Barely any mention of the Dogs it was gross how biased it all was and that's coming from someone who isn't a fan of either team.

In regards to Super League and Warrington they keep getting bigger and bigger names headed their way which is great for their comp. SBW, Folau and now Inglis are all big signings along with the likes of Maloney, Widdop etc who have had very good NRL careers.

Positive is it could open up an NRL Dream Team Vs Super League Dream Team game down the road. NRL side featuring the likes of Cam Smith, Tedesco, Holmes, Cordner, Ponga etc taking on a Super League side featuring the likes of Inglis, SBW, Folau, Maloney, Widdop etc. Super League team could probably keep it close as well as opposed to a few years back where really average former NRL players would carve up in England.

Latest posts