What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt willing to take a pay cut

denis preston

First Grade
This bloke gets battered from pillar to post about his contract and overs etc but can you blame the bloke, the muppets in management literally made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. I’d have him over Norman any day of the week

Definitely way more upside than Norman. Said it before Hunt is a very good player but not good enough to star behind a beaten pack and that has been happening 70% of his time with us. Most halfbacks are the same and it is only the champions that can still shine in this scenario ( Johns, Thurston, Langer, Cronk ,).

slippery5

Juniors
This bloke gets battered from pillar to post about his contract and overs etc but can you blame the bloke, the muppets in management literally made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. I’d have him over Norman any day of the week
Not to mention the upgrade on McCrone.

blacksafake

First Grade
Yes he’s not champion but he’s a bloody good player. 90% of those who bag him always bring up the money he’s supposedly on & the press don’t help by saying the million dollar man every time they speak about him. I reckon if he was on half the reported $ the bagging wouldn’t be so severe.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yes he’s not champion but he’s a bloody good player. 90% of those who bag him always bring up the money he’s supposedly on & the press don’t help by saying the million dollar man every time they speak about him. I reckon if he was on half the reported $ the bagging wouldn’t be so severe.
Yup.. In an environment where we’ve had selfish players coming out saying they refuse to take a pay cut (even though they’re on ridiculous salaries) we’ve got one who comes out and acknowledges he’ll have to take a cut because the new broadcast deal means there’ll be less $$ in the game..

And still people* want to bag him...

Seriously..

*supposedly supporters of his own club

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
On the surface, a generous and responsible gesture from Hunt- however, as he's the highest paid player at the club,a much easier gesture than for someone on the minimum wage ie roughly 10% of what he earns.
I'd like to see the detail before commenting further.

This Year?

Immortal
I think Big Game Benny would have to ask his missus what she thinks 1st before making big statements like this.
I've had to take a pay cut from my job because of covid19, so good him for coming out and saying it. I really hope he can become the player we have always wished he would be when he signed to play here.

Gareth67

First Grade
Coach is the problem...and more so the board..who have facilitated this mess

Ever so right , just like a revolving glass door that the Dragons cannot exit from .

However it was a very nice gesture on Benny’s part , as another member said earlier others players from the various clubs have not done the same .

Crush

Coach
Coach is the problem...and more so the board..who have facilitated this mess
Coach is clearly the problem as we have all stated 200 million times already. And I totally agree that the board are an even bigger problem, totally corrupt.
But Ben Hunt is also a problem. He is rocks or diamonds and for even 800K you need to be a very consistent player.
I'd say thus far he has been very disappointing.

getsmarty

Immortal
Coach is clearly the problem as we have all stated 200 million times already. And I totally agree that the board are an even bigger problem, totally corrupt.
But Ben Hunt is also a problem. He is rocks or diamonds and for even 800K you need to be a very consistent player.

Hunt is not being used to his strengths ...again comes down to coaching....he is a running half....put Hunt and Clune together and get a coach with a clue and then Judge him....for mine, Norman was a rushed buy...they should have waited....similar to the extension of mcGregor.

Otherwise agree. Have a good day Crush.

BLM01

First Grade

I will say this about Ben Hunt and his role in our side.
Very good player when the team is playing with confidence and winning the ruck. He would be the glamour star we wish in a good side like the Roosters or Canberra who play fast.
Look how him and Widdop were firing in the first 1/3rd of 2018 but when the team started to tire or other teams got into gear the halves were also tiring and had little time to do anything...and that was it.
Yes he is a confidence player and if the team is down he is not the organiser he is expected to be to pick them up and carry on his back and create a team try with a backline move or a kick. He is instinctive..but to play and do it on his own so that is why he needs the team firing on all cylinders and people following him...and why he is suited to 9 in a side like QLD.

Now the main problems we have had in the past 2 years (and there have been plenty) affecting our halves performance
1. The coach. Yes. Horrible use of easy to read and defend game plans and making Ben Hunt the organiser and reliance on his short kicking game which was never his strength.
2. Ben Hunt started to become a grab high tackler out wide when it was the wrong time. Coach not fixing this as him and Frizz did not work together defnsively with Aitken outside.
3. Both him and Widdop were instinctive players (not organisers). Widdop had a better short kicking game but he was playing on the wrong side for that and used his left foot too much....hence many a kick just when to players feet...so it was up to Benny again to get it right...never his strength.
4. Since mid 2018 we were getting slowed down in the ruck and were starting to become the worst team to make ground from anywhere in our half. Killer for the halves. But look what happened in that semi when Brisbane lost the ruck.
5. Widdop injuries. Graham ageing. Paul Vaughan & Frizz carrying the forwards on their back especially in 2019
6. Coach again..failure to identify, change and rectify.