What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queensland Cup sides moving into the NRL

flippikat

Bench
But things aren't looking bright for the chances of seeing a second NZ club any time soon.

..and that's the real shame. NZ rugby union is on the edge of a very steep cliff (as opposed to Aussie RU being roughly halfway down the cliff &free falling), and if they can't either revive SAANZAR or salvage something viable from the wreckage, they're in deep trouble.

Sports fans here are only just starting to realise that in the wake of the Covid19 shutdown, but the problem for union has been building for the last decade or so, as Super Rugby has been losing it's luster. It's just taken Covid - and it's travel & events restrictions - to bring everything into stark focus.

The time is right for the NRL to proactively put the screws on.. and add a new club or two from NZ to give the young talent here a lucrative & secure pathway that's close to home.

mongoose

Coach
..and that's the real shame. NZ rugby union is on the edge of a very steep cliff (as opposed to Aussie RU being roughly halfway down the cliff &free falling), and if they can't either revive SAANZAR or salvage something viable from the wreckage, they're in deep trouble.

Sports fans here are only just starting to realise that in the wake of the Covid19 shutdown, but the problem for union has been building for the last decade or so, as Super Rugby has been losing it's luster. It's just taken Covid - and it's travel & events restrictions - to bring everything into stark focus.

The time is right for the NRL to proactively put the screws on.. and add a new club or two from NZ to give the young talent here a lucrative & secure pathway that's close to home.

it's a possible great opportunity, will the NRL take advantage? highly doubtful

The NRL could kill two birds with one stone by adding a second or even a third NZ team and another Brisbane team. Fumbleball relies on Logan's reputation as Queensland's gambling capital to draw extra funds for their failing Lions team. It's the only reason they created the Lions@Springwood social club. No one plays fumbleball in Logan.

In all of Logan there are about 2 fumbleball clubs vs 14 rugby league clubs. New RL clubs are popping up all the time around here. An NRL team that focussed on this region would make a lot of money and have a ready supply of quality juniors. If the Donkeys had any brains they would set up a Queensland Cup club of their own down here, complete with a Leagues club full of pokies, and make a fortune of it. Instead they sit back and let the Lions take about $5 million out of the city each year.

Souths Logan Magpies should have sold their lot at West End and bought the vacant land at Cronulla Park, Slacks Creek so they could build a decent rugby league ground, Leagues club and have ample parking. Instead the council have handed it over to the tiny Springwood Pumas fumbleball club to relocate from Lowe Park because RL showed no interest.

The Great Dane

First Grade

The other problem that a second NZ club faces is that even on their best day none of the markets in NZ are as valuable as Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, or Melbourne, so even if they've got a solid bid it'll struggle to compete with the money on offer in the larger markets in Australia.

Again, I think it's obvious that I'm not against a second NZ club, but the stars would have to align a bit for one to get off the ground at the moment.

Pippen94

First Grade
The other problem that a second NZ club faces is that even on their best day none of the markets in NZ are as valuable as Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, or Melbourne, so even if they've got a solid bid it'll struggle to compete with the money on offer in the larger markets in Australia.

Again, I think it's obvious that I'm not against a second NZ club, but the stars would have to align a bit for one to get off the ground at the moment.
How valuable are Adelaide, Perth or even Melbourne given most matches won't even be shown on HD channels

Pippen94

First Grade
very, there is a reason the afl has significantly greater revenue than nrl. Capital cities are where it’s at.
Storm average 20,000 viewers per game in Melbourne. Do you think TV companies are paying extra millions for that?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not really, just a level above your thinking - channel 9 pushing for extra Brisbane team & don't care about perth
No, you're either a moron, a troll, or both.

I mean do you honestly believe that Fox and Nine would refuse to simulcast matches including teams from Perth, Adelaide, or Melbourne on their HD channels? Really that's where they'll take their stand?

Also who f**king cares what Nine wants.

They are a dying medium that is desperately holding onto it's tarnished legacy in an attempt to keep their heads above water, that's spent the last two decades laying the boot into the NRL (and RL in general) every chance they've had, and though they haven't realised it yet they need the NRL way more than the NRL needs them.

The sooner that the NRL realises the abusive relationship that they are in, and kicks Nine out on it's arse, the better.

Pippen94

First Grade
No, you're either a moron, a troll, or both.

I mean do you honestly believe that Fox and Nine would refuse to simulcast matches including teams from Perth, Adelaide, or Melbourne on their HD channels? Really that's where they'll take their stand?

Also who f**king cares what Nine wants.

They are a dying medium that is desperately holding onto it's tarnished legacy in an attempt to keep their heads above water, that's spent the last two decades laying the boot into the NRL (and RL in general) every chance they've had, and though they haven't realised it yet they need the NRL way more than the NRL needs them.

The sooner that the NRL realises the abusive relationship that they are in, and kicks Nine out on it's arse, the better.
Storm aren't on HD in Melbourne. Ratings in Adelaide & Perth will never add value to broadcasting deal hence nine's indifference to Perth. Put teams in those cities so you can tick off places on map but people will never care.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm average 20,000 viewers per game in Melbourne. Do you think TV companies are paying extra millions for that?

400k watching gf and origins would suggest the problem lies not in interest levels in RL? Maybe the problem lies in Melbourne people not being interested in watching two Sydney suburbs playing each other in front of 12k people in some ground barely above the standard of amateur sport?

I mean seriously if you are used to watching 80k at the mcg or 60k at Optus stadium, then you flick over to 10k at brookvale for manly v Cronulla. Are you surprised the neutral sports fan isn’t that interested?

Last edited:
Nine and Foxtel would be buggered if the NRL paid an independent production company to provide the video feed for all the games. Everyone would be able to bid for the rights.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Storm aren't on HD in Melbourne. Ratings in Adelaide & Perth will never add value to broadcasting deal hence nine's indifference to Perth. Put teams in those cities so you can tick off places on map but people will never care.
Yes they are, Fox League HD plays every game live all across the county.

For all I know Nine may not play any of their matches in HD, I wouldn’t have a clue as I haven’t watched Nine’s broadcast in years. You can’t follow the Raiders closely without Fox/Kayo, and why watch Nine when you’ve got Fox and their coverage is so much better.

The lack of HD has never effected the ratings before so I don’t see why it would now.

As for people not caring, they said the same thing about the Swans... Look how that worked out.

jim_57

Staff member
Yes they are, Fox League HD plays every game live all across the county.

For all I know Nine may not play any of their matches in HD, I wouldn’t have a clue as I haven’t watched Nine’s broadcast in years. You can’t follow the Raiders closely without Fox/Kayo, and why watch Nine when you’ve got Fox and their coverage is so much better.

The lack of HD has never effected the ratings before so I don’t see why it would now.

As for people not caring, they said the same thing about the Swans... Look how that worked out.

All FTA NRL games are on GEM HD in Melbourne as well.

Latest posts