What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big hit!

Bench
Wonder what PVL sees in Abdo. Every time he's talked hes come off as unimpressive, unsure of himself or monotonous and has not exactly produced a good image for the game.

he's a Saffa. don't expect much in the charisma department.

it doesn't really matter. as much as Vlandys bleats that he doesn't want to be executive chairman or CEO, I can't see him being the type to keep his nose out of daily admin. He does it at Racing NSW, and he's been doing since the season began in wuhan virus uncertainty. actually admitting it and adopting a formal title would mean he'd have to give up Racing.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I agree, very unimpressive. Obviously a yes man, a puppet. Looks like we'll be under News thumb for another 20 or so years.

As much as people hate our other leaders at least they were wanting us to be independent not there for News Ltds interests.

big hit!

Bench
I agree, very unimpressive. Obviously a yes man, a puppet. Looks like we'll be under News thumb for another 20 or so years.

As much as people hate our other leaders at least they were wanting us to be independent not there for News Ltds interests.

we'll see how the first couple of rounds go. if the referring and interpretation of ruck infringements is a debacle, many will be condemning Rugba League and be asking for our great Rugby League back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well they have made numerous stuff ups so far but the media have let them off. Greenberg would have been smashed.

the way the ref fiasco has played out Greenberg would have been burnt at the stake.
we’re doing it to save $2.5mill - lie
Then when shown to be a sham reason
where doing it as fans said they want it - hmmmm where making policy change on Facebook news ltd polls now?
Did he even know there was an eba? Then He hits the media slamming his employees and trying to turn fans against them even more.
sheesh what a boss.

I agree with going back to one ref but they way it’s been done is shthouse, even by nrl standards.

Peter V’landys is on a week's annual leave as Racing NSW chief executive.

Instead of chillaxing in his ugg boots, the ARL Commission chairman has been at League Central every day, wearing a suit and tie, negotiating broadcast deals with Nine Entertainment Co and Foxtel, taking on the referees’ association and poring through the NRL’s finances before Thursday night’s competition restart.

He gave the Herald an hour, though, to talk about the big issues, including why he calls the game “rugba league”.

Well, no. She’s given us advice that hasn’t proven correct. I’m not blaming the lady for that. But I’m not going back to a person who’s already given me incorrect advice. That’s why all these people have remained anonymous.

You’ve denied this before but I’m not buying it: you’re happy to be restarting ahead of the AFL.

Subconsciously, you’re probably right. At times I’ve looked at them and had a giggle. The first thing I said to Wayne Pearce, who heads Project Apollo, is that we won’t be using “bubbles”. We’ll just need self-isolation — and I was right. Three weeks later, the AFL was still looking at bubbles. But no: I was more worried about us and making sure my predictions were the right ones. I said, nine weeks ago, that we could train in Victoria and Queensland — at that stage we couldn’t. I said the Warriors could come over — at that stage we couldn’t …

You’ve been fascinating to watch from close range. The Prime Minister smacked you down twice in four days about the Warriors getting a travel exemption — and then it happened.

That’s my style. The same thing happened with the race fields legislation. [In 2008, V’landys successfully argued in the High Court that corporate bookmakers needed to pay racing for use of its product]. For four years that dominated my life. That’s now generating billions of dollars for racing. That was a lot harder than this. The race fields issue made me tougher because I realised I could put up with personal abuse. I discovered the “delete” button. But I get good publicity too.

The COVID-19 crisis has exposed the game’s financial frailties. You’ve been critical, so has Peter Beattie. He’s a former chairman and you've been on the commission for two years, signing off on budgets and executive bonuses. Surely you need to wear some of the blame.

If anyone wanted to look at the minutes, every meeting I raised concerns. When the budgets came through, I rejected them. You can only challenge so much. To Peter Beattie’s credit, when he came on board he realised the greatest problem this organisation has is that it has no assets. And the cash that was there was bullshit because we owed $80 million to the broadcasters. Of the $104 million we had, we only had $30 million or so. To the broadcasters’ credit, they haven’t called on that money. If they did, we were stuffed.

The NRL has been trying to save clubs from themselves for years. Why will you be different?

Because there’s been a relationship between the NRL and the clubs for the first time. We’re in the trenches together. The biggest mistake this organisation has made is that it's treated the clubs as second-rate citizens. They’re our shareholders. They’re the brand. The thing is there’s a lot of unity at the moment, between the NRL, clubs and players union. [RLPA chief executive] Clint Newton is a smart operator.

Some players think he’s too close to you …

I think they’re wrong. Relationships are the greatest asset I have; with politicians, media moguls … I’ve built that over a long period of time. Clint has realised you get more bees with honey than vinegar. He’s got more for the players by having a relationship with me than he would’ve got if he was confrontational. I’m the sort of person who would be twice as confrontational back. The referees have become confrontational. They don’t have a seat at the table. The referees ask, “Why aren’t we treated like the players?” Because we have a relationship.

What about your relationship with Channel Nine [publisher of this masthead]?

I genuinely believe that Channel Nine didn’t want to be there but I’m confident in the next month there will a long-term deal with Nine.

Do you really believe they were going to walk away? They were negotiating a better deal, surely.

I do. [Nine chief executive] Hugh Marks is a very good businessman. If I had a public company, I’d want him to be a CEO. If you look at rugby league purely on a business case, you can understand his reasoning. He was making losses on it.

Was Channel Seven interested?

No. They are heavily invested in the AFL and have a chairman in Kerry Stokes who is AFL obsessed. It was never an option in my eyes.

People question the wisdom of brokering a long-term broadcast deal when the NRL is at its weakest. Thoughts?

Forget where we’re at right now. I went to the US and did my research and analysis about where the sports broadcast market is. I’m getting no less than what I was prepared to take before the coronavirus crisis came in. It’s a good deal for us.

Getting the same money in seven years’ time that you’re getting now is a good deal?

I think it will be better because we’ve carved a few things out. I can’t be more specific because it’s commercially sensitive. I’ve really appreciated the advice of [Fox Corp executive chairman] Lachlan Murdoch.

How so?

He’s doing a deal with the NFL in America. I’m working on the same strategy the NFL has. In my view, there’s a lifespan for traditional media, which gives you the maximum return for broadcast rights. The rest will give you revenue share and you have to provide production. That won’t produce the rivers of gold that we get now. The longer we have the traditional model, the more chance we have to build up our asset base. It gives us more certainty because we know what our revenues and costs are going to be over a long period of time. There’s a price for certainty.

Doesn’t a long-term deal also secure the future of Fox Sports, which is owned by the Murdochs?

Lachlan's taking a bigger risk than I am.

Financial crisis is one thing. But were the new rules, and reverting to one referee, really emergencies?

The words of the broadcasters kept ringing in my ears. If you don’t listen to the people who provide the revenue, you’re an idiot. They believe the game has become staid and boring. I just think the game has to become more entertaining. I also speak to a lot of fans. The magnitude of the success in my life is that I treat all people the same. The fans are the bread and butter. I’m representing them. I represent the bricklayers from Wollongong. I’m not a private school kid. I’ve had to fight for everything. My connections are my people. The bricklayers …

My father is a bricklayer. He hates wrestling. But he's also worried about the restart of the season being trashed by refereeing dramas. What do you say to him?

I’ll wear the criticism if that happens. I’ve taken punches on the chin for others many times. I’ll cop the blame. In my own little mind, I feel like I’ve got enough runs on the board.

Why not bring in the interchange reduction, then? That’s the best move out of the lot.

Don’t tempt me.

It was telling you ignored the advice of Roosters chairman Nick Politis, who didn’t want one referee.

Nick has never sought from me something for himself or his club. I genuinely believe, in my head, that I have no agendas, no baggage. Everyone says, “Oh, he’s Nick Politis’ man”. The Roosters were the fourth club to approach me to come onto the commission.

You consider him to be a future chairman, though?

I do. Nick has done a lot for the game but he’s a tall poppy and people want to bring him down. Why wouldn’t you want one of Australia’s best businessmen on your board? I don’t want to be here forever — but I’m here to make decisions and to live by them.

The criticism of Todd Greenberg was that he wasn’t prepared to make hard decisions …

I don’t want to talk about Todd. He’s moved on and we've moved forward.

You've become noticeably uncomfortable at the very mention of his name.

Only because I want him to move forward. I don’t want him blamed for things. If he’s down and out, why kick him? Let him get a job somewhere else.

The word inside the NRL is that you’re $1.04 to become executive chairman later this year.

No, I don’t want the job.

You’re waiting to be asked …

I won’t do it. I’ve said “no” so many times.

You’ve never wanted to be chief executive? Never coveted it? Never crossed your mind?

It crossed my mind but that’s as far as it went.

You call the game “rugba league”. It’s awesome ... but why?

[Laughs] I didn’t even know I was saying it. I don’t know where it comes from. It's just how I say it. But I’m not going to change. That’s just me. I am who I am.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nr...g-marks-and-rugba-league-20200522-p54vje.html

BuffaloRules

Coach
Still don’t see the rush to extend the TV deal at this time..

He seems to dodge that question.,,

They need a solution that spreads the FTA over 2 networks in my view..

mongoose

Coach
I walked past a newspaper stand yesterday. Front page was V'landys, headline was something about the saviour of Rugby League. Obviously Courier Mail puff piece.

Not saying he hasn't done good but News dickriding him every step along the way is concerning. There is no journalism when it comes to Rugby League from this mob, it is just agenda driving or digging up dirt, Nothing else.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I walked past a newspaper stand yesterday. Front page was V'landys, headline was something about the saviour of Rugby League. Obviously Courier Mail puff piece.

Not saying he hasn't done good but News dickriding him every step along the way is concerning. There is no journalism when it comes to Rugby League from this mob, it is just agenda driving or digging up dirt, Nothing else.

While this is true, there is the flip side of that coverage that is a positive. He seems to have upset the Melbourne fart-sniffing media a great deal.

Rugby League is a game that is meant to know its place, to these people. V'Landys does not conform to this and it has them rattled.

I read one commenter describe him as 'greasy'. When they are resorting to their racist tendencies you know something has been triggered.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I get that’s it’s going to be the cool thing on here to dump on PVL, and yes his narrow vision with growing the game does irk me, however what he has done with getting the game started again is nothing short of remarkable. Every hurdle that’s come up he has dealt with swiftly and with seemingly no negotiation.

Having listened to him interviewed a few times I’m just going to put this out there, the guy is scary, I have no doubt he’s killed people (obviously tongue in cheek Mods). You might not agree with everything he’s done but I reckon you could give him 10 minutes with Donald Trump and he’d come out of the Oval Office with an order for free Immigration for everyone from Mexico.

Plus there’s the added bonus that everyone in Victoria hate him. He pisses them off basically weekly over Racing and now he’s embarrassed them with NRL getting back on the park with little problems compared to the AFL

big hit!

Bench
While this is true, there is the flip side of that coverage that is a positive. He seems to have upset the Melbourne fart-sniffing media a great deal.

Rugby League is a game that is meant to know its place, to these people. V'Landys does not conform to this and it has them rattled.

I read one commenter describe him as 'greasy'. When they are resorting to their racist tendencies you know something has been triggered.

the melbourne establishment hate him because of the everest and how he's moved some of sydney's other big races to spring in competition with their spring racing carnival.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I get that’s it’s going to be the cool thing on here to dump on PVL, and yes his narrow vision with growing the game does irk me, however what he has done with getting the game started again is nothing short of remarkable. Every hurdle that’s come up he has dealt with swiftly and with seemingly no negotiation.

Having listened to him interviewed a few times I’m just going to put this out there, the guy is scary, I have no doubt he’s killed people (obviously tongue in cheek Mods). You might not agree with everything he’s done but I reckon you could give him 10 minutes with Donald Trump and he’d come out of the Oval Office with an order for free Immigration for everyone from Mexico.

Plus there’s the added bonus that everyone in Victoria hate him. He pisses them off basically weekly over Racing and now he’s embarrassed them with NRL getting back on the park with little problems compared to the AFL

Don't forget Fox needed the game back way more then us and who owns Fox. I dare say the pollies wouldn't want to upset Murdoch or they will feel the wrath his wrath iwith the backlash.

It is a worry that we are getting into bed with News Ltd after a decade of trying to rid ourselves of them.

Spot On

Coach
Don't forget Fox needed the game back way more then us and who owns Fox. I dare say the pollies wouldn't want to upset Murdoch or they will feel the wrath his wrath iwith the backlash.

It is a worry that we are getting into bed with News Ltd after a decade of trying to rid ourselves of them.

We wait for a more suitable media giant to come along and give the NRL the billions everyone thinks all media companies are craving to pay for the right to broadcast little 'ol Rugba League.

Essentially played in 2 states in a country down under where the grass roots of the game have been slowly dying and over run by AFL.