What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

no name

Coach
Oh dear.Investment Has been made in those places Melbourne and GC and we really haven't seen it ,at this stage.

Top down.With a club that's been highly successful on the field, await the bad tomes on the field ,the bar will take a hammering.
More effective long term bottom up growth, create the base.The GC had the base but stuffed it ,with going over the top for a Centre of Excellence and then getting the community offside.

You've been and truly showered over a long period with the geography and transport issues with Sydney, but still do the ostrich.A bar which is an impediment for many.You cannot comprehend Manly/Penrith/Wollongong/Cronulla/Campbelltown travel .

Whatever the Sydney TV ratings are, their influence provides the underpinning of TV deals .Whether you like it or not, it is the biggest Australian commercial market for rl viewing and for sponsorship.

Then. you cite 14K ,you need to times the average home crowds by the number of Sydney clubs plus the Tv ratings, plus other forms of streaming.The WSS stadium has shown crowds will attend at decent scheduling in big numbers.

The bar is not that high ,with all the infrastructure, transport facilities in Melbourne.One city, one club, private backing.Game once a fortnight ,SFA impediments.
The Gold Coast produces plenty of top level players.
It is a rugby league area and development in the area is fine.
Don’t confuse the Titans being run poorly with the area not being productive.
The Titans are completely f**king up their junior recruitment though, because the majority of the better juniors seem to go elsewhere.

Incorrect

Coach
The Bandana pays his respects to Arthur Summons, who really didn’t achieve much after he left The Gay Gordons In 1959
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/summon...own-for-both-rugby-codes-20200522-p54vjc.html
Yep, such an insecure merkin. Summons, a man who makes up half of one of the all time greatest images in sport the world over and has been used to adorn the trophy for rugby league premiership winners for ~40 years, synonymous with rugby league.... "But but but, he played rugby union too you know?!".

taipan

Referee
seen what? Investment hasn’t been significantly made at all at the grassroots, nrlvic would be running on a n oily rag same as NRLWA. Well what that tells us is that top down either takes a lot longer, or doesn’t work. Only time will tell that if the nrl do nothing about growing grassroots in vic.

100 years and still sht support, it’s not all about geography and trains lol. Rid and gets nearly as many viewers as Sydney and is half the size. RL would have been much better off if it had been switched and was more popualr in vic, SA and wa rather than nsw.

The same applies to all NRL clubs re junior investments.Same allocations for clubs.
Let's face facts without the A League coming in in Melbourne the chances of a new stadium would have been next to zero.
There is now a great stadium in place, serviced by exceedingly better transport infrastructure than any suburban Sydney club except now Parra has got, a team that is consistently in the top 4-5 since its inception that few Sydney clubs have achieved, with high profile players thrown in.The club in a city of near 5m should have a minimum crowd attendance of 20k .With that as a selling point they should be flogging the importance of grassroots there.

LOL of course it's not all about geography and trains eh.You stated "trains" just LOL.Please advise me when the next suburban train leaves from Central to go to Brookvale this Saturday?And the direct service from Woolooware to Penrith?
How about infrastructure having an impact?

You are the AFL apologist who continually compares crowds to Melbourne etc.They have had zero competition from other sporting codes for 100 years. It's been AFL first daylight second ,the media give SFA recognition for other codes ,except for SOO of late and test for Union and Soccer.

Tell me when the AFL lost all their money they had in the Bank in the 90s via a SL war? Oh wait.

Compare that to the fawning Sydney media gives to AFL and even the Motherless Giants.And the crap RL get thrown at it by the Sydney media?

You can bitch on in typical fashion, it serves no purpose one iota ,and shows you still have b....... all understanding of Sydney and what is needed.Your continual comparisons with AFL are irrelevant, different code requiring different viewing aspects ,followed by an insular obsessed mob.
They still cannot muster up International competition after 100 years.

taipan

Referee
The Gold Coast produces plenty of top level players.
It is a rugby league area and development in the area is fine.
Don’t confuse the Titans being run poorly with the area not being productive.
The Titans are completely f**king up their junior recruitment though, because the majority of the better juniors seem to go elsewhere.

I've mentioned on a number of posts in the past, the area has a huge junior league.The High School near where my mother in law lived at Currumbin seemed to have a good rl set up.Other than that ,is as far as my knowledge re juniors goes.
I know the Searle, Centre of Excellence, local tradesmen history.Attended a game at the stadium, catching a bus from Pacific Fair.SFA parking.Yet a great stadium.

IMO if the C of E fiasco hadn't happened, the community would have got right behind the club.

SBD82

Coach
Or maybe nsw people arent really rl fans and jump on the afls bandwagon when they move to melbourne?
I’ve had a shittonne of friends make the move south to Melbourne.

I can’t think of one of them that was an NRL fan before they left. Strongly doubt that they’re AFL fans now. Just not the sort of people that are interested in sports. They were drawn to Melbourne for the hospitality and live music scene or opportunities in the arts.

So yeah. Some league fans may be part of that migration. But I think that the kind of people that are attracted to what Melbourne has to offer are also non-league fans. Just other interests, you know?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The same applies to all NRL clubs re junior investments.Same allocations for clubs.

difference is melbourne RL doesn’t have the luxury of dozens of pokie backed jnr clubs and programs investing millions in RL. It’s reliant on what the vic nrl get from hq and what the storm put into the elite program. If you want to see melbourne producing nrl first graders it is going to take a lot more investment in schools and jnr clubs in the city coupled with the fta partner showing games and footy shows in prime time in main channel. Without that it’s not going to happen, same as perth (though we have a bit of a head start as the game has always been stronger here) and adelaide.

taipan

Referee
difference is melbourne RL doesn’t have the luxury of dozens of pokie backed jnr clubs and programs investing millions in RL. It’s reliant on what the vic nrl get from hq and what the storm put into the elite program. If you want to see melbourne producing nrl first graders it is going to take a lot more investment in schools and jnr clubs in the city coupled with the fta partner showing games and footy shows in prime time in main channel. Without that it’s not going to happen, same as perth (though we have a bit of a head start as the game has always been stronger here) and adelaide.

You're arguing with the wrong guy on poker machines.I hate the lumps of metal, know a not so close friend who's father put the house through pokies and gambling ,and ending up renting til he fell off the nest.
The trouble with Sydney clubs, they relied on the untold wealth from machines, they couldn't wean themselves off them.
Melbourne have at least a private backend consortium of very wealthy men, who are mainly locals, and will ensure the long term survivability of the club.Surely they would be aware of teh need to grow their grassroots base which underpins the club.If not they really are not in it for the right reasons.

If I were running the NRL I would insist private consortiums put X amount toward grassroots development.
I have no full understanding of the Vic school system.What I do know ,is in this country traditional private schools, tend not to allow rugby league into their sporting programs.
In state schools, you have. afar better chance of introducing the sport.Though I do suggest in Melbourne, the stranglehold AFL has in the schools with the teaching staff, makes it an Everest to climb.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're arguing with the wrong guy on poker machines.I hate the lumps of metal, know a not so close friend who's father put the house through pokies and gambling ,and ending up renting til he fell off the nest.
The trouble with Sydney clubs, they relied on the untold wealth from machines, they couldn't wean themselves off them.
Melbourne have at least a private backend consortium of very wealthy men, who are mainly locals, and will ensure the long term survivability of the club.Surely they would be aware of teh need to grow their grassroots base which underpins the club.If not they really are not in it for the right reasons.

If I were running the NRL I would insist private consortiums put X amount toward grassroots development.
I have no full understanding of the Vic school system.What I do know ,is in this country traditional private schools, tend not to allow rugby league into their sporting programs.
In state schools, you have. afar better chance of introducing the sport.Though I do suggest in Melbourne, the stranglehold AFL has in the schools with the teaching staff, makes it an Everest to climb.

It wouldn't be easy but it is possible. We have a very healthy secondary school RL program in WA and some schools have really adopted the game and have scholarship programs and direct pathways to SG Ball side.
I like the WA afl model where the two clubs have to pay the wafl for the use of the two afl licenses. It puts around $8million a year in the WAFL's coffers for grassroots development. NRL clubs would whinge they couldnt afford it so would never happen but would be a way of funding the state leagues better for jnr programs outside of the LC set ups.
I dont see it as the role of NRL clubs to manage jnr RL, that should be the job of the state body. NRL clubs should just focus on the elite programs from 15 upwards that are the direct pathway to NRL first grade. In that respect Storm do a good job, they just dont have the depth and amount of jnrs in Vic to get a cream coming into that program in decent numbers/quality.

taipan

Referee
It wouldn't be easy but it is possible. We have a very healthy secondary school RL program in WA and some schools have really adopted the game and have scholarship programs and direct pathways to SG Ball side.
I like the WA afl model where the two clubs have to pay the wafl for the use of the two afl licenses. It puts around $8million a year in the WAFL's coffers for grassroots development. NRL clubs would whinge they couldnt afford it so would never happen but would be a way of funding the state leagues better for jnr programs outside of the LC set ups.
I dont see it as the role of NRL clubs to manage jnr RL, that should be the job of the state body. NRL clubs should just focus on the elite programs from 15 upwards that are the direct pathway to NRL first grade. In that respect Storm do a good job, they just dont have the depth and amount of jnrs in Vic to get a cream coming into that program in decent numbers/quality.

Yeah but for now ,we are looking at Victoria.
What sh*ts me in N.S.W.,is the Swans saying player X (a former junior rl player)has come through their Academy blah, blah blah.Like Garry Jack's ,couple of his sons.

Yet in Vic we rarely if ever hear of it for the Storm.The trouble is the media there is an AFL circle jerk.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its really a combination of numbers ie for every 5000 kids playing a game you get 5 who become good first graders (or whatever that ratio is) and elite pathway opportunities and scouting.
Our SG Ball sides results have been pretty terrible since year 1 but that's not the point, its to give WA's best RL kids a chance to progress and put themselves in the shop window. Out of 7 years of SG Ball we have only had 3 make it to NRL first grade. We have plenty more make it to second tier two comps (around 50 I believe). We have somewhere around 4,000 kids playing I think. Vic would be similar. Its not the Storms job to get 10,000 kids playing RL, thats the NRL and VicNRL's job.

taipan

Referee
Its really a combination of numbers ie for every 5000 kids playing a game you get 5 who become good first graders (or whatever that ratio is) and elite pathway opportunities and scouting.
Our SG Ball sides results have been pretty terrible since year 1 but that's not the point, its to give WA's best RL kids a chance to progress and put themselves in the shop window. Out of 7 years of SG Ball we have only had 3 make it to NRL first grade. We have plenty more make it to second tier two comps (around 50 I believe). We have somewhere around 4,000 kids playing I think. Vic would be similar. Its not the Storms job to get 10,000 kids playing RL, thats the NRL and VicNRL's job.

The Storm have the high profile players,they should perhaps use them more in growing the gamely appearing at juniors' games.
It as to be the Storms ,NRL and Vic RL,to develop the code.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Storm have the high profile players,they should perhaps use them more in growing the gamely appearing at juniors' games.
It as to be the Storms ,NRL and Vic RL,to develop the code.

id say it’s the Storms job to promote the code, and I think they have quite good programs doing that including the billy slater jnr program. It’s the NRLs/nrlvic job to develop the game and get kids playing it in larger numbers through more do’s, more school programs, better coaching cli I s, ore support for grass roots clubs, cost saving Initiatives so it’s cheap for kids to play etc. etc. be interesting to see if the National jnr program Greenberg introduced last year survives Vlandys cuts,

taipan

Referee
id say it’s the Storms job to promote the code, and I think they have quite good programs doing that including the billy slater jnr program. It’s the NRLs/nrlvic job to develop the game and get kids playing it in larger numbers through more do’s, more school programs, better coaching cli I s, ore support for grass roots clubs, cost saving Initiatives so it’s cheap for kids to play etc. etc. be interesting to see if the National jnr program Greenberg introduced last year survives Vlandys cuts,

I'm surprised we had the funds for a National Jnr program, with the money we spent on some of the higher ups.Greenberg was on a decent bonus BTW.The finance head left soon after Greenberg.We had to borrow $30m when he was CEO so as to provide the grants.Something was amiss on expenditure.

V'Landys is a club man(played the juniors to senior level) and is far more attuned to them than prior CEOs or Chairman for that matter.To cut Jnr funding would go against what he's been doing ,based on his concern for the players and the fans.

If as they state there is $80m owing to broadcasters ,and that is finally cleared.Then there may be the money(fat) that can be cut from H/O.The accounts do not spell it out.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/peter-...r-crowds/b0d776b4-219c-48bd-9339-6c657a497725

Respected sports journalist Peter FitzSimons fears the extraordinary ability of Peter V'landys to get his way could see governments "cave" to his ambition to have crowds back at NRL games in July.

Speaking on Wide World of Sports Five Minutes with Fitzy, the former Wallaby marvelled at the ability of the "most influential" sports administrator in Australia to bend even the most formidable opponent to his will.

He said that the return of crowds would risk a public health disaster but conceded V'landys was capable of making it a reality after doing the seemingly impossible by getting the NRL back on the field on May 28, a date that was initially scoffed at as over ambitious.

"The worst that can happen is the government says, 'Oh Mr V'landys, yes Mr V'landys, yes that will be done, May 28 will be done, yes we'll go to July 1st, crowds are open, let the turnstiles spin'," FitzSimons responded when challenged by James Bracey, before citing the disastrous consequences of a European football match between Italian club Atalanta and Spanish club Valencia back in February.

"And then the worst that can happen is, what happened when that team in Italy played that team in Spain – the biological time bomb that went off.

"The worst that can happen is, the government once again caves in, and says 'everybody through the gates,' and somebody in the crowd has got it and then it spreads around.

"Say it for what it is James (Bracey), that's madness."

That answer led to a robust conversation with Bracey, who said he trusted the government processes that led to public health regulations being loosened.

Bracey: I'm just trusting the process If the government is ticking off on whatever they want to happen.

FitzSimons: So, you thought it was fine everyone stopped at the traffic lights for two months, and the premier and the prime minister go, 'rugby league, you've been observing all the protocols, you come forward'

You what thought was fine?

Bracey: Absolutely, the footy is back

FitzSimons: That will do me.

NRL wants crowds back at games
The Sydney Morning Herald columnist and best-selling author then admitted to a grudging respect for V'landys for pushing the boundaries to try to get the best result for his sport.

"Most influential, there would be nobody that would get close to him in terms of his power and influence," he added.

"He's arguing his turf, pushing his corner. From the view of sport, rugby league – you bloody beauty.

"I choose to think there are wider concerns than just the narrow band of what's good for sport.

"I'm not alone on this whatsoever, the broad mass of the populist thinks it doesn't make sense that sport be the one that goes first.

"The truth of it is, at the point that the government caved in on sport, they had to cave on pretty much everything else, which is more or less what they're doing.

"I hope everything turns out fine."