What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks. Those stats on televised games per club are extraordinary. No surprises Brisbane lead it, they admittedly do have the biggest single audience of any club I’d think to 9 would pursue their games - always have always will..

But indeed for the Raiders it’s flat out embarrassing...

ch9 will show what brings in the most viewers, that is what they pay big bucks for. Sucks for clubs like raiders but that’s. Just commercial interest.

ch9 will show what brings in the most viewers, that is what they pay big bucks for. Sucks for clubs like raiders but that’s. Just commercial interest.

yep agreed. And although I firmly believe the NRL should manage the draw exclusively, I can understand the influence Ch9 would want/have over some matches, meaning they’ll pay a bigger broadcast fee.

Notwithstanding that, I still find it unbelievable that the grand finalists only will have 3 FTA games this year, barring potential semis

Which is why they should be pushing to have 3 or 4 teams in Brisbane so they can air a local team into south-east Queensland on Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

KennySterling

Juniors
Which is why they should be pushing to have 3 or 4 teams in Brisbane so they can air a local team into south-east Queensland on Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

That was my point with the Manchester United analogy.

The Broncos are proving adept at ensuring there are no 'noisy neighbours' (like Man City) to threaten their one-town-team monopoly. The poor Crushers had no chance.

That was my point with the Manchester United analogy.

The Broncos are proving adept at ensuring there are no 'noisy neighbours' (like Man City) to threaten their one-town-team monopoly. The poor Crushers had no chance.
Didn't the Crushers base themselves at the Pastoral Brothers Leprechauns' old stomping grounds, which is a quick drive up the road from the Donkeys Leagues Club at Red Hill?

Of the 8 original BRL clubs, the 3 that were closest to Red Hill went bust (Wests, Fortitude Valley and Pastoral Brothers). Easts, Wynnum, Dolphins and to a lesser extent Norths are thriving as they're far enough away from Red Hill to be the Leagues club for people to patron.

Souths struggle as they're sandwiched in an awful location that's full of yuppies. They should have sold their lot at Davies Park and bought Cronulla Park at Slacks Creek, Logan. Too late now as the Logan City Council have given the land to a fumbleball club that no one cares about.

I reckon a team on the bayside, one in the south-east that takes in Logan and one up in Moreton Bay would be able to survive in the NRL. There's just too much distance between them and the Donkeys to be pushed around. Over time I would add one in the south-west that takes in Ipswich.

The Donkeys should adopt Wests' red and black colours and use their hooped design jersey. Maroon and gold just doesn't go together. They're based right alongside Wests territory so they might as well embrace it. Maybe even change their name to West Brisbane Broncos as they have a lot of support out towards Ipswich. It would be the best way for them to nip the Jets bid in the bud.

Souths and Easts could join together to become the South Brisbane Scorpions based at Coorparoo, and Wynnum could become the East Coast Seagulls and represent the bayside, Redlands and Gold Coast. Redcliffe become the Moreton Bay Dolphins and take in the Moreton Bay Region and Sunshine Coast. Donkeys fans would have nightmares about that because it would dry up their nursery real quick. They would be down the ladder real quick fighting to dodge the wooden spoon. Scorpions would have the largest nursery in south-east Queensland.

If they just want one extra team then merge Easts with Wynnum to make the East Coast Seagulls, gold and green. Two big powerful Leagues clubs pooling their resources together would prevent them from ending up like the Crushers.

mongoose

Coach
I really don't care if 9 show zero Raiders games, but the point is more that it makes it harder for teams like Raiders, Knights, Titans to attract and keep sponsors.

I love that we got Huawei though, it's a big f**k you to the media and government lol it probably doesn't help our case of being more televised.

mozza91

Coach
I really don't care if 9 show zero Raiders games, but the point is more that it makes it harder for teams like Raiders, Knights, Titans to attract and keep sponsors.

I love that we got Huawei though, it's a big f**k you to the media and government lol it probably doesn't help our case of being more televised.
We got a heap of fta games this season like 8 Sunday arvo games. Not sure what the reasoning is considering we were dog shit last year.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Swings and roundabouts, I remember the late 80's to mid 90's the eels couldn't get any games on fta either as the club was trash on the pitch and couldn't beat themselves if they bothered to turn up, every Friday night though we got to see the Raiders. 9 are full of shit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's channel 9 for you.
Channel 9 the proxy home of the AFL.

They also put the AFL footy show on in preference to the NRL one in AFL states, merkins.
Was hoping this might have been one of the wins for the NRL in the negotiations of them getting a cheaper deal, alas no.

taipan

Referee
They also put the AFL footy show on in preference to the NRL one in AFL states, merkins.
Was hoping this might have been one of the wins for the NRL in the negotiations of them getting a cheaper deal, alas no.

Afternoon sport updates on the news for 9, most of the time start with an AFL story.Nine still have the AFL Footy Show in AFL states.,the rugby league one was ditched.
Yep ch9 is the home of rugby league, as North Korea is the home to democracy.

If 9 doesn't put it on when they pay more, they sure as hell aren't going to put it on, when they pay less.They are losing money hand over foot as it is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afternoon sport updates on the news for 9, most of the time start with an AFL story.Nine still have the AFL Footy Show in AFL states.,the rugby league one was ditched.

If 9 doesn't put it on when they pay more, they sure as hell aren't going to put it on, when they pay less.They are losing money hand over foot as it is.

Which is where the negotiation comes in. We've given them a cheaper deal when by sounds of it we didnt have to, so what have we got in return? I'd have been saying, yes we will cut annual payments by $X in good faith but in return we would like you to act like partners in the game and show NRL games and programs nationally on main channels. Until we get NRL on Ch9 main channel in afl states we cant hope to grow the game.

For example in WA I'd rather tomorrow nights game went out on delay at 7:30pm on main channel than live on GEM at 5:30pm. Instead the main channel has on from 7;30RBT followed by a 5 year old movie everyone has seen. Its the difference between 20k seeing an NRL game in Perth and 100k plus. Doesnt effect NRL fans as we will all be watching on Fox but for the casual that you want to get interested in the game it is a massive difference.

Which is where the negotiation comes in. We've given them a cheaper deal when by sounds of it we didnt have to, so what have we got in return? I'd have been saying, yes we will cut annual payments by $X in good faith but in return we would like you to act like partners in the game and show NRL games and programs nationally on main channels. Until we get NRL on Ch9 main channel in afl states we cant hope to grow the game.

For example in WA I'd rather tomorrow nights game went out on delay at 7:30pm on main channel than live on GEM at 5:30pm. Instead the main channel has on from 7;30RBT followed by a 5 year old movie everyone has seen. Its the difference between 20k seeing an NRL game in Perth and 100k plus. Doesnt effect NRL fans as we will all be watching on Fox but for the casual that you want to get interested in the game it is a massive difference.
All we can do is phone them up and tell them we won't watch Nine until they give rugby league a fair go.

taipan

Referee

So if we had pushed the contract to stay in place and ch9 got into real deep fina

The cheaper deal was expected by not only in the NRL admin involved in negotiations ,but by people like Colin Smith who is a media expert on Tv deals re AFL/NRL and others.
Sounds like we didn't have to ,because Roy got it from a source.Never ever get these so called sources, that sounds so much like Weidler and Buzz.
If the AFL have to take a reduced deal, then the NRL is vindicated, if not then the NRL negotiators have some explain to do,

Remember Roy has regularly hammered David Smith for going rogue and giving AFL an added bonus ,by firing up Rupert.
You can force legal obligations that is a given, but if that means the people you are forcing it on are just about busted, then what.
Sue in court, with legal costs ala Folau.9 then does a 1980/90s version of 10 and surrenders.
What other FTA networks can pay there is no competitive tension and it was all BS that 7 and 10 were waiting in the wings..One in deep financial debt, the other living off the smell of an oil rag.
I'd like to know what force majeure implications there are ,for a pandemic.

ch9 are in deep financial trouble, the report to their shareholders before the deal spelt it out, by stating not having the NRL will save them $130m pa.

Mate we don't know what the actuals are of the TV deals, neither does Roy.V'landys and Abdo both involved in the negotiations ,would have had to run it past the Commission.If it was that much of a giveaway to ch9 and Foxtel, the Commission then has to bear the brunt of criticism or acknowledge this was the most realistic ideal.

I'll do a hypothetical, as we kept the digital ,ch9 and perhaps Foxtel then played hard ball by saying that is competition for us, therefore we won't pay anymore than X.See I'm p*ssing in the wind and so is Roy because we need figures and it spelt out as to why it ended up being X minus.
The value of digital to the NRL down the line could be huge.

Trouble is these deals only reveal the outer shell such as timeline and approximations by the media .Ever since FTA and Pay got involved in sport ,confidentiality has been the catchword.

And that's why the sooner ch9 is out of the equation the better, provided we can get an FTA outlet ,that provides NRL on at decent times on main channels in non heartland states.So on that point we both agree.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The “save” $130mill is a bit of a furphy, what they meant was cut expenditure by that much. But what impact would that have had on revenue?
You only need to look at which of the three channels doesn’t have one of the two major sports and how they have faired without this expenditure to see the reality for any channel that doesn’t have afl or nrl.

taipan

Referee
The “save” $130mill is a bit of a furphy, what they meant was cut expenditure by that much. But what impact would that have had on revenue?
You only need to look at which of the three channels doesn’t have one of the two major sports and how they have faired without this expenditure to see the reality for any channel that doesn’t have afl or nrl.

Whatever etc figure and I/m relying on media ,ch9 are having an extremely hard time of it as is ch7.They are in debt heavily, and advertising revenue for Tv is dropping alarmingly.
The impact on revenues is when as state in April Tv ads dropped by 30%.Where does the FTA station gets the overwhelming bulk of its revenue.Tv advertising.

What sort of revenue drop will it be ,when SOO comes around?That is premium time for ads, and companies are not spending on that as before, because they simply have to watch costs.
ch10 is living on it's backside ,despite having CBS to back them.Look at their programs ,you could almost do some of them in your rumpus room.

Of course having a major sport is great,but what has been the case in the past? Sport is a loss lead into FTA News and other programs.Roy regularly mentions this at negotiation time.

But if advertising is down dramatically, these programs that follow and the drop in ad revenue for major sports happens also, the stations take a double whammy.

Again we are not dealing with a cyclone, an earthquake or a bad dose of the flu, COVID-19 is just mind boggling what it has done and continues to do to not only people but to business.
I have little time for 9 and Foxtel(have dropped Foxtel last year),but I see the realities all around me and on the news, and it "ain't" pretty.

Whatever etc figure and I/m relying on media ,ch9 are having an extremely hard time of it as is ch7.They are in debt heavily, and advertising revenue for Tv is dropping alarmingly.
The impact on revenues is when as state in April Tv ads dropped by 30%.Where does the FTA station gets the overwhelming bulk of its revenue.Tv advertising.

What sort of revenue drop will it be ,when SOO comes around?That is premium time for ads, and companies are not spending on that as before, because they simply have to watch costs.
ch10 is living on it's backside ,despite having CBS to back them.Look at their programs ,you could almost do some of them in your rumpus room.

Of course having a major sport is great,but what has been the case in the past? Sport is a loss lead into FTA News and other programs.Roy regularly mentions this at negotiation time.

But if advertising is down dramatically, these programs that follow and the drop in ad revenue for major sports happens also, the stations take a double whammy.

Again we are not dealing with a cyclone, an earthquake or a bad dose of the flu, COVID-19 is just mind boggling what it has done and continues to do to not only people but to business.
I have little time for 9 and Foxtel(have dropped Foxtel last year),but I see the realities all around me and on the news, and it "ain't" pretty.
Mate you are trying to discuss Reality with people who for whatever reason are not accepting the current reality.