What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie Blacker on loan

epDragon62

First Grade
I the article I read indicated neither Blacker or McGregor had actually been contacted but McGregor was open to the idea.

TruSaint

Referee
I the article I read indicated neither Blacker or McGregor had actually been contacted but McGregor was open to the idea.

yeah, "concept only ". To be fair, Im ok with it if it gives the kid more experience and game time.

'No problem with it': Dragons open door for young gun to boost wounded Warriors

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has given the green light for young gun Eddie Blacker to head to the Warriors on a loan deal to boost their injury-ridden roster.

McGregor said on Friday that the 20-year-old had been linked to the New Zealand side, which has been hit by a flurry of injuries.

"First of all, it's got to be in the best interest of our club, our team and the person," McGregor said. "If all them three are in a line in that order, I see no reason why it wouldn't be a good thing."

The Warriors are based on the Central Coast after being forced to relocate to Australia before the May 28 restart date due to border closures.

Initially, the NRL did not approve the Warriors' request for temporary loan players but the club hopes head office will change its mind given the circumstances.

The wounded Warriors signed Raiders forward Jack Murchie on Wednesday night for the rest of the season. He is there only signing since the injuries struck.

Bunty Afoa, Leeson Ah Mau, Jazz Tevaga, Jackson Frei and Adam Keighran are all out of the side due to injury. The club is running out of time to secure players before their match against the Dragons on May 30.

"There's a lot of things that would need to happen first in ways of, as I said, it can't be a negative on the team, a club or the player himself," the Dragons coach said. "He's got to want to do it and then it comes down to who looks after the injury of the player if he gets injured, the payment of the players.

"There's a lot of things that haven't been talked about but certainly, if it all aligned well and it was in the best benefit for everyone, I've got no problem with it."

On Thursday, the Herald reported the Warriors had also targeted Ben Murdoch-Masila and Matt Eisenhuth as potential loan signings.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...o-boost-wounded-warriors-20200522-p54vkw.html

watatank

Coach
SMH quote from today.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has given the green light for young gun Eddie Blacker to head to the Warriors on a loan deal to boost their injury-ridden roster.

I would have loaned them Graham or Lafai or Aitken or Dufty?

Prob not one of our promising juniors. Just have to trust our coach,, yeah right!

McGregor is not going to loan a player he is going to pick if available. Of course he would be happy to loan a player like Blacker, who is no chance of playing for us this year. Even if we have a horror injury run of middle forwards like the Warriors do he will move one of the hookers to lock before he looks at Blacker.

Dragons4me

Juniors
I try and defend team decisions but this one defies logic. Seems like Blacker has no hope of getting a 1st grade run (because there's been no public word from the club to the contrary) but McGregor's prepared to help an opposition team and risk an injury in one position we need. I just don't get it!

Old Timer

Coach
I try and defend team decisions but this one defies logic. Seems like Blacker has no hope of getting a 1st grade run (because there's been no public word from the club to the contrary) but McGregor's prepared to help an opposition team and risk an injury in one position we need. I just don't get it!
I get it because our coach is a complete f**kwhit.

However in his mind he is a legend that has just found a way to ensure he doesn't have to pick and teach a young player and if anything gets the benefit of another coach perhaps doing what he can't.

BLM01

First Grade
I get it because our coach is a complete f**kwhit.

However in his mind he is a legend that has just found a way to ensure he doesn't have to pick and teach a young player and if anything gets the benefit of another coach perhaps doing what he can't.
Wait till Eddie puts up his hand and says thanks Mr Kearney for giving me a chance. I want to stay!
Yea @TruSaint...the concept is fine.and great for the player...but not one of the best up and coming front rowers in the competition who is looking for an opportunity to prove himself at a vulnerable age who we need and should retain long term.
I'll go as far as one of the best raw bone young prop talents I have seen for a while playing JF..now reggies in respect to build and style....with plenty of years on his side to develop into a Paul Vaughan and the like.
But here is a tip..short comp this year... give him a go in our squad....what do we have to lose using him in lieu of Merrin or say KSims.
If Warriors want him out of all the players they have to choose from...he must be 1st grade bench or back up ready, willing, able, noticed, young and vulnerable enough to be educated and convinced to staying long term.

Last edited:

John Tanious

Juniors
I'm not convinced Blacker is ready for first grade but if he gets a run with the Warriors it could be a valuable if steep learning curve. Just hope they don't break him.
Agree with that .. he is not ready, give him first grade experience without costing us anything. In the meantime he is not disgruntled not playing footy. I am ok with that. I dont think he would get a run in the Warriors 17 even with the current injuries

watatank

Coach
To be fair, Blacker looked like he needed a lot more time (based on the Charity Shield). He looks like Kerr did about two years ago (who only looks like maybe establishing himself this year). It seems unlikely he will even play for the Warriors, let alone have an impact. Still interested to see how he develops though.

BLM01

First Grade
To be fair, Blacker looked like he needed a lot more time (based on the Charity Shield). He looks like Kerr did about two years ago (who only looks like maybe establishing himself this year). It seems unlikely he will even play for the Warriors, let alone have an impact. Still interested to see how he develops though.
So why are Warriors interested if they see it the same way you do?
I believe he might not get a full season out in 1st grade yet..but with more exposure this year he will be just about ready next year to be at a part time bench level like a KSims. Kerr should be starting next year
Look at how Host, Lawrie + even Aitken went in the 1st cluster of 1st grade games..struggled but were left there!

TruSaint

Referee
Wait till Eddie puts up his hand and says thanks Mr Kearney for giving me a chance. I want to stay!
Yea @TruSaint...the concept is fine.and great for the player...but not one of the best up and coming front rowers in the competition who is looking for an opportunity to prove himself at a vulnerable age who we need and should retain long term.
I'll go as far as one of the best raw bone young prop talents I have seen for a while playing JF..now reggies in respect to build and style....with plenty of years on his side to develop into a Paul Vaughan and the like.
But here is a tip..short comp this year... give him a go in our squad....what do we have to lose using him in lieu of Merrin or say KSims.
If Warriors want him out of all the players they have to choose from...he must be 1st grade bench or back up ready, willing, able, noticed, young and vulnerable enough to be educated and convinced to staying long term.

double post... sorry lads

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Loans are good and it will be good t o see how Blacker handles 1st grade. Mary was not going to give this kid a chance before he gets offers to leave so at least now we get to see if he is good enough and if so I am sure the board will step in and demand he stays not listen to rubbish Mary would tell them so they can get rid of him without giving the kid a fair crack just like he probably did with the guy in Manly that is killing it that was a great junior for Saints. Sorry I can't think of his name. The goalkicker.

redv13

Bench
Loans are good and it will be good t o see how Blacker handles 1st grade. Mary was not going to give this kid a chance before he gets offers to leave so at least now we get to see if he is good enough and if so I am sure the board will step in and demand he stays not listen to rubbish Mary would tell them so they can get rid of him without giving the kid a fair crack just like he probably did with the guy in Manly that is killing it that was a great junior for Saints. Sorry I can't think of his name. The goalkicker.
Rueben Garrick

Bench
I thought loans mean Warriors get Blacker and in return we get f**k all. Well done McIdiot. I hope we don’t have any of our forwards injured.

redv13

Bench
To be honest the farkwit says he’s open to the idea on proviso a b c etc. Doesn’t say anywhere that it’s happening with zero quotes from Blacker or the Warriors.

BLM01

First Grade
To be honest the farkwit says he’s open to the idea on proviso a b c etc. Doesn’t say anywhere that it’s happening with zero quotes from Blacker or the Warriors.
Watch this space.
Come Monday..it will be alright.
Come Monday..he is in black and white.
it will be 4 lonely days to we play the bros
Eddie will be on the other side