What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AJB1102

First Grade
That's fine. But why extend? Get the game back on the road everyone happy. No need to extend.

Why did he? This is the detail we haven't been told.

You've been given no detail because no deal has been confirmed.

I believe it will be done but we'll need to wait to dissect it.

A dollar now is worth more than a dollar tomorrow.

PVL's ego is too big. He's out to win everything he gets into. Can't see him playing a lacky role for News or anyone.

franklin2323

Immortal
You think no one is going to want to buy the most watched sport in Australia?

I want to own a Ferrari... the bank balance says otherwise.

You act like just wanting is enough. There is things still to play out yet.

take FTA. What if no companies are spending on Advertising?

Spot On

Coach
You do know that those 70 staff make the NRL $12mill a year in profit don’t you? So you’d sack them all and lose money? Business genius lol.

Oh the Queen of naivety strikes again.

Sack them all? I did not say that princess, did I ... but...

Digital arm - Vlandys- chainsaw.

Bring it on!!!!!!

70 staff is f**king ridiculous. It'll make millions more when Pete removes half the wage bill.

Go Nev Power style and cut Toddy's largesse right out of head office.

The digital arm is a great place to start. Then get stuck into the rest.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
No, Kerry Stokes loves it.

Spend away.

Poor Perth Red thinks there are media companies throughout the world with billions in hand lined up and fighting over the rights to little Rugba League.

His naivety is astounding.

Last edited:
Yep it's what the negative brigade on here seem to have massive trouble understanding .
They carry on like the rights were sold without taking into account any interest from other media organisations
There is no other interest.
So due to the current circumstances you sit down & negotiate a deal with the ones who are interested
Now this is where the NB get lost
Negotiations means you give a bit
You take a bit
Over & over till you can agree .
The way they are carrying on they must think that negotiations are the nrl state what they want & they get it .
It doesn't work like that

Spot On

Coach
Fix the state of the game ie wrestle and reduce the interchange, improve the product and razor the ridiculous cost structures from head office and all the way down to the clubs and reinvest intelligently in assets and grass roots - then, in yrs to come there may be some real interest and bigger dollars available.

The NRL has lacked leadership and direction for eons.

taipan

Referee
That's right mate, the media landscape is changing and EVERYONE knows it. So if you own a pay TV network what do you do, lock in your top sports for a long period. If you have a sport that is in high demand and drives subscriptions what would you do.......lock it away for 7 years or fulfil your current deal and see what the market has to offer in 3 years ie competition.

You are ignoring the most devastating economic and health hit this country and the world has taken since WW2/depression.
You are ignoring the fact this country has borrowed billions of dollars which naturally they don't have, to see the country through the current crap.We have had reports of it taking 10 years to get back to normality.Unemployment will no doubt be a problem for years

Taking that all into account, do you sit back and let the current deal roll on, and in 2022 hope you can get a better deal taking inflation into account, knowing that only up to 2022 you know your revenue from broadcasting?
Sport is such a fickle business with other entertainment options available also, so to gain security for your sport, to ensure it survives and thrives ,signing long term deals provides a degree of certainty.

If the economy was thriving and growing ,I'd agree with you 100% to wait till the current deal nears the end.The economy now is well and truly rogered ,businesses of any kind can't demand increases.

'See what the market has to offer in 3 years" .Businesses will still be paying off huge debt.
It's not a game of chance ,it's a game of SURVIVAL

T-Boon

Coach

That's interesting.
So the AFL has 116 full time staff; while
NRL has 70 full time staff and its considered a ridiculously high number.

It seems low. Especially since the AFL already has excellent media relations compared to NRL who has terrible media relationships. I would rather see NRL aiming to have at least the same number of employees (for example NRL media) maybe even more than AFL.

mave

Coach
PVL deserves a statue at HQ.

A bloke that can get rid of Greenburg, get the NRL back on the field, and be prepared to actually try and do something about the wrestle deserves one.

And if he treading on people like Politis toes in the process, then all the better.

Tommy Smith

Referee
How can anyone not be happy with the job V'landys has done? The man is a genius. The Otto von Bismarck of sports CEOs.

If Greenberg was still in charge he'd still be pandering to hysterical pandemic "experts" who reckon we'll all die if 34 blokes play a game of footy; and we'd be waiting for the AFL to lead the way with an August return date at best.

So thank f**k for V'landys and his strong, proactive leadership. Finally someone who doesn't care what the naysayers think.

Meanwhile, 'ole Gill has been completely invisible and had a shocker...

Screenshot_20200524-101329.jpg

NRL 1
AFL 0

T-Boon

Coach
PVL deserves a statue at HQ.

A bloke that can get rid of Greenburg, get the NRL back on the field, and be prepared to actually try and do something about the wrestle deserves one.

And if he treading on people like Politis toes in the process, then all the better.

I agree with all of this with a caveat that if Fox end up honouring the AFL deal that is currently in place then he instantly becomes the worst CEO/chairmen of all time and the ruiner of RL.

King hit

Coach
Want to throw my 2 cents in before the restart

I’m very proud of what V’landys has done. He went all out to achieve something not many thought could be done and has proved everyone wrong. Getting the comp restarted this early is a massive achievement. We don’t like channel 9 and all but free to air tv is essential. 9 wanted to back out but V’landys didn’t back down to them and kept it on so all fans can see the games. He is also doing something about wrestling tactics that everyone has been complaining about. I don’t think that bumbling Beattie could’ve done anything like what V’landys has done. Proud to say that V’landys has been our game’s strongest leader in these challenging times.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
You are ignoring the most devastating economic and health hit this country and the world has taken since WW2/depression.
You are ignoring the fact this country has borrowed billions of dollars which naturally they don't have, to see the country through the current crap.We have had reports of it taking 10 years to get back to normality.Unemployment will no doubt be a problem for years

Taking that all into account, do you sit back and let the current deal roll on, and in 2022 hope you can get a better deal taking inflation into account, knowing that only up to 2022 you know your revenue from broadcasting?
Sport is such a fickle business with other entertainment options available also, so to gain security for your sport, to ensure it survives and thrives ,signing long term deals provides a degree of certainty.

If the economy was thriving and growing ,I'd agree with you 100% to wait till the current deal nears the end.The economy now is well and truly rogered ,businesses of any kind can't demand increases.

'See what the market has to offer in 3 years" .Businesses will still be paying off huge debt.
It's not a game of chance ,it's a game of SURVIVAL

LOl...you should be Pete's PR man, rally 'round the flag boys.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
How can anyone not be happy with the job V'landys has done? The man is a genius. The Otto von Bismarck of sports CEOs.

If Greenberg was still in charge he'd still be pandering to hysterical pandemic "experts" who reckon we'll all die if 34 blokes play a game of footy; and we'd be waiting for the AFL to lead the way with an August return date at best.

So thank f**k for V'landys and his strong, proactive leadership. Finally someone who doesn't care what the naysayers think.

Meanwhile, 'ole Gill has been completely invisible and had a shocker...

View attachment 38436

NRL 1
AFL 0

Don't you think he has rushed it, how can he be so sure the pandemic won't get worse?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I agree with all of this with a caveat that if Fox end up honouring the AFL deal that is currently in place then he instantly becomes the worst CEO/chairmen of all time and the ruiner of RL.

The AFL starts two weeks after us, when's their reduction in broadcast monies being done and the extension with Fox. I guess it will be over the next two weeks.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Interesting that V’landys is saying there will be no cuts to the salary cap or the $13M per club grant each year..

TV revenue will be down on a per year basis from what we are led to believe so something else will have to give.