What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Warriors

Crush

Coach
Crush if you watch a lot of football live and on TV you can see that certain players have exceptional ability which helps win games. Currently the Dragons have no strike players and as an onlooker I would only keep Lomax, Williame and Ramsay out of the current backline and build a team around them which may include the Feagais, Clune, Saab, Sailor and/or Sullivan. Mc Gregor keeps picking the same inadequate players and last year the winning ratio fell to 28% from around 40%. This performance is totally unacceptable and Mc Gregor should never have been given the job as he is clueless, soft and an excuse monger.
How much of Ramsay have you seen play?
And based on what you have seen from Lomax what makes you think he has the exceptional ability to help us win games?

I too am excited for the day Ramsay starts in the NRL but I've seen next to nothing of him other than highlights and 9s stuff. He looks great but like Lomax hasn't done anything just yet that makes me say build a team around him.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Whilst I agree 100% on your assessment of young Ramsey, I think Saab has a very bright future. He is uncapped potential, maybe a bit gun-shy at present but huge upside if he can develop.
There are also several other youngsters who have the possibility to be as 'spotlighted' as Ramsey as well, they just need their opportunity which wont happen under our current structure unfortunately.

Also, for those including Ramsey in the team lists, he is not part of the 32 player roster, he wont play this year, hes been given time to fully recover from his shoulder op.

Agree about Saab DS- I've posted previously that while some see him as a Daniel Tupou- wing look- alike, I see some of the Tommy Turbo about him. He's quick, with his 2m height he has an advantage in the air, those long legs can break tackles, and the long arms can off load to supports.

He needs to fill out but he's young. I've yet to work out if-like Dufty- he's been infected with the DTSDD (Dragons Turnstile Defence Disorder).

BLM01

First Grade
Agree about Saab DS- I've posted previously that while some see him as a Daniel Tupou- wing look- alike, I see some of the Tommy Turbo about him. He's quick, with his 2m height he has an advantage in the air, those long legs can break tackles, and the long arms can off load to supports.

He needs to fill out but he's young. I've yet to work out if-like Dufty- he's been infected with the DTSDD (Dragons Turnstile Defence Disorder).
I reckon the "S" which you left out stands for "Suspect"

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
I have seen a lot of Ramsey's highlight reels and he is very exciting and robust player who has speed off the mark, pace, good backing up ability, safe hands and sound defensive skills. Like Lomax he just needs time to settle in.
Hard to know if he has safe hands and sound defensive skills from highlights reels mate, they tend to just show the "highlights".

blacksafake

First Grade

He’s so far away from turbo.

rasaint

Juniors
Still plenty of posts advocating Zac Lomax as a critical inclusion for Our future success. Can anyone point me to where Zac Lomax in any 21 NRL games has beaten an opponent and broken into the clear, crashed or palmed through tackles from 20 metres out to score, put into the clear and sprinted over 15 metres to score? This is the chap many want as our strike fullback or the centre. we had to recruit for 5 or is it six years on $500k.I have seen the maligned twins of Aiken and Lafai do these things in NRL despite Paul Mc Gregor as coach for past 5 seasons odd.

I have seen Zac score from being a well positioned winger to catch and dive over, backed up Cam McInnes and get away a nice kick for Dufty try in 2018 Broncos semi. A very good goal kicker.

Ramsey is totally different from Zac. He has that that blast off speed and power which can not be coached.

BLM01

First Grade
Still plenty of posts advocating Zac Lomax as a critical inclusion for Our future success. Can anyone point me to where Zac Lomax in any 21 NRL games has beaten an opponent and broken into the clear, crashed or palmed through tackles from 20 metres out to score, put into the clear and sprinted over 15 metres to score? This is the chap many want as our strike fullback or the centre. we had to recruit for 5 or is it six years on $500k.I have seen the maligned twins of Aiken and Lafai do these things in NRL despite Paul Mc Gregor as coach for past 5 seasons odd.

I have seen Zac score from being a well positioned winger to catch and dive over, backed up Cam McInnes and get away a nice kick for Dufty try in 2018 Broncos semi. A very good goal kicker.

Ramsey is totally different from Zac. He has that that blast off speed and power which can not be coached.
That is beacuse you have hardly see Zac play any games in his best position.....centre.
Ill ask you this..how many 1st grade games have you seen Ramsay play and whether he is up to it.?
No doubt Ramsay potentially is...our 1st choice fullback..followed by Dufty then Zac...but TBC
Zac playing fullback is a bit like Nighty playing there...likely safe as houses and can defend but wont set the attack alight...but for McDefence..its safety 1st
At present Dufty should be auto shoe in...but his defence and his not thnking at times to what position he needs to be in..in both defence and attack cruels him
Zac has not got the instant burst of speed for fullback nor the change of direction at pace for fullback...but he can step and run well when put into broken field when wound up...and will bust tackles as he builds up a bit more IMO. perfect fit for centre despite playing fullback when in Juniors and he asked to have a crack at it...noble of him and Mary to try but medium to long term solution...nah
Ben Creagh started in the backs too when younger but did not stay there.
1st grade is a much bigger difference these days to any lower grade due to the way they have evolved the game and focussed on 1st grade for athletes..especially compared to the 70's-90's where reserves could be just as tough but a tad slower.

blacksafake

First Grade

Let’s give Zac a full season in the one position & imo centre before we judge his ability. When Ramsey is eligible there should be a spot for the two of them.

rasaint

Juniors
Fair posts BLM and Blacksafe. I’m not anti Zac just pointing out that in particular at fullback a top level team needs the Teddy/ Klonstad very fast and break making fullback players.Zac is not one of those.

Zac has a quick stepping jink but that that is now being noted by oppositions. I have seen it almost get him a try in the NRL from close range but now pretty well covered. Agree definitely centre is his go. If he can develop into an uncompromising tough centre like Manu of Roosters well fair enough. I hope he does because his goal kicking looks first rate. Speed is power and X factor and Zac can move well but lacks that explosive dash to carry him between or through opposition players.

I was trying to point out that Euan Aiken is maligned here due to deficiencies in defensive reads but does score long range trys with good speed and tough barging trys in traffic from short range. Even small Dufty has scored the most sublime trys at NRL level and this 2020 year it was his speed that powered him over from close range.

Agree let’s see if Ramsey has the goods.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
As long as they can tackle and have good hands we need to give the young attacking players a go. We probably lost Garrick because he got injured and was in a form slump. It hurts to see him playing for Manly and maybe he will come back. He is also a handy goal kicker. We lose too many good locals and replace them with journeyman or overpriced players. If you promote average players you get poor results like last year. How can a Club from having ace wingers like Brett Morris, Jason Nightingale and Wendell Sailor to the plodders that we have now. With Dufty, Lomax, Ramsey, Sailor and Williame in the team at least we would have some attacking flair backed up by Saab and others.

BLM01

First Grade
Fair posts BLM and Blacksafe. I’m not anti Zac just pointing out that in particular at fullback a top level team needs the Teddy/ Klonstad very fast and break making fullback players.Zac is not one of those.

Zac has a quick stepping jink but that that is now being noted by oppositions. I have seen it almost get him a try in the NRL from close range but now pretty well covered. Agree definitely centre is his go. If he can develop into an uncompromising tough centre like Manu of Roosters well fair enough. I hope he does because his goal kicking looks first rate. Speed is power and X factor and Zac can move well but lacks that explosive dash to carry him between or through opposition players.

I was trying to point out that Euan Aiken is maligned here due to deficiencies in defensive reads but does score long range trys with good speed and tough barging trys in traffic from short range. Even small Dufty has scored the most sublime trys at NRL level and this 2020 year it was his speed that powered him over from close range.

Agree let’s see if Ramsey has the goods.
Fair point but re Euan
his problem is he suited for the back row he might have those strengths but as centre he plays bowling ball at the wrong time out of instinct instead of looking to see when he should be linking with outside or inside men and defensively....well I don’t need to go there

RufusRex

Post Whore
Any team with Aitken or Dufty in it is not going to be good enough ... They have some positives but more than a few negative aspects in their games which well drilled teams can and will exploit. Time to get over these blokes who burst in with one decent string on their bow and nothing else.

Right now Williame looks like he deserves a spot in the top team.
Lomax is not a winger and i dont think a fullback - unfortunatly in his top games he hasnt been afforded the chance to play much right centre. Co-incidentally when he was given a shot at right centre with no pressue behind him from Mary;s love child it was the last game of 2018 and the two finals. He aquited himself well in those games. Needs a coach that gives him confidence not the reverse.

Ravalawa is a nightmare when a ball comes to him .. but that one moment in round 1 showed he has been working on aspects of his game. And the dragons matches vid on facey shows he is brutal in defence. Would give him more of a chance but is on thin ice.

That is three quarters of the backline ... The other wing is an issue and if Saab has bulked up and shows he can use that bulk then he should be the other .. esp with the kick rule changes (if we can actually develop some kind of game plan that uses it).

That leaves fullback which is a gaping chasm in our club at the moment. Ramsay could be the next one but he isnt yet and Dufty well, it is obvious that the top teams can generally negate him.

I also think we have 2 x 58s in Hunt/Norman .. A decent coach may figure that out ..

BLM01

First Grade
Any team with Aitken or Dufty in it is not going to be good enough ... They have some positives but more than a few negative aspects in their games which well drilled teams can and will exploit. Time to get over these blokes who burst in with one decent string on their bow and nothing else.

Right now Williame looks like he deserves a spot in the top team.
Lomax is not a winger and i dont think a fullback - unfortunatly in his top games he hasnt been afforded the chance to play much right centre. Co-incidentally when he was given a shot at right centre with no pressue behind him from Mary;s love child it was the last game of 2018 and the two finals. He aquited himself well in those games. Needs a coach that gives him confidence not the reverse.

Ravalawa is a nightmare when a ball comes to him .. but that one moment in round 1 showed he has been working on aspects of his game. And the dragons matches vid on facey shows he is brutal in defence. Would give him more of a chance but is on thin ice.

That is three quarters of the backline ... The other wing is an issue and if Saab has bulked up and shows he can use that bulk then he should be the other .. esp with the kick rule changes (if we can actually develop some kind of game plan that uses it).

That leaves fullback which is a gaping chasm in our club at the moment. Ramsay could be the next one but he isnt yet and Dufty well, it is obvious that the top teams can generally negate him.

I also think we have 2 x 58s in Hunt/Norman .. A decent coach may figure that out ..
Spot on Post
..and why Saab is not even being looked at it seems after I thought a pretty good debut astounds and confuses..me
Actually..no...I think it is clear why!.

Crush

Coach
Team list Tuesday Eve.
1 more sleep.
Cannot wait. Its actually more fun than the game itself.
If Lafai or Aitken are selected it will break the internet.

redv13

Bench
I’m pumped for the footy this week but fu*k me if Lafai and Aitken are both named 3 and 4 I think I’ll be buying 3 dozen eggs and heading to Central Coast Stadium Saturday afternoon for some target practice at the bald headed muppet when he arrives at the ground. Surely not??

Old Timer

Coach
I’m pumped for the footy this week but fu*k me if Lafai and Aitken are both named 3 and 4 I think I’ll be buying 3 dozen eggs and heading to Central Coast Stadium Saturday afternoon for some target practice at the bald headed muppet when he arrives at the ground. Surely not??
Make sure some are hard boiled it might knock some sense into Mc Fookknuckle