What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

siv

First Grade
Today's laws allow about 20 per bay

On Jun 1 we will increase from 10 at a club to 50

So that increases each bay to about 100

Even if you limit people to the upper bays

The only real issue is fielding the ball when kicked into touch

franklin2323

Immortal

You leave the 1st 10 or so rows free you limit most of that

taipan

Referee
My comment

How many times do I have to say this, I'm bagging the fact that V'landys has clearly worked with News Ltd, take away the pandemic. The same thing would have happened, Greenberg gone, News Ltd back in the box seat telling us what to do. When I see reports that Lachlan Murdoch can tell us we can have another team in Brisbane that is a concern. When I see V'landys has council with Murdoch that is a concern.

I don't think the code would have been stuffed it was always going to restart, necessity is the mother of invention. From a business side the broadcasters haven't wasted a crisis they have got a good deal for themselves.

Please stop labouring the point about the start date, it has never been an issue for me nor the revision of the deal. If need be do as the AFL will do and extend for a year or two, not 5. Why 5? It leaves me to think the digital arm will come under Fox in some capacity.

You have misunderstood my intention of that comment. It was in reference to the fact that being first over the AFL doesn't do anything financially or to deals etc. it's just bragging.

Whilst I love sticking it up AFL it's pointscoring at the end of the day, I'm sure you're mature enough to see that.

You said you are only interested in the digital.I am interested in what happens also.

Ch9 didn't want the NRL to start with.Foxtel needed the NRL, so of course they worked with V'landys.
The clubs were given the brush off by Greenberg on occasions, you and I anywise are not into what fully transpired, it was 9 who made the financial issue about Head Office not Foxtel.

Courtesy to let Murdoch know ,you have an interest in the Broncos ,we are looking at expanding into Brisbane.Murdoch spends large sums on the NRL deal.If V'Landys hadn't had a TV deal with Foxtel,you'd say nothing about expansion intentions.
Murdochs screwed rl with the SL wars,thus I have little time for them.

It(the comp) was going to restart, the question is when and with what.If we had no deal with 9 and had to go to court, we would have to rely on the borrowed $250m.The decision to rationalise would have been inevitable.The figures we had actually in the Bank was not $120m but $30m thereabouts as we apparently owed the broadcasters a loan of $80m.We were on the edge of a financial precipice.

What' On 23/5 you stated "my argument is not the football side of it, it's more the business side."
You do understand both the football side and the business side are intertwined under the current situation.

The starting date means two weeks earlier than the AFL,and two weeks earlier where the ch9 and Foxtel have to fork out money.The later it's left the less money that will be paid by broadcasters.

The AFL have an asset Marvel stadium(must be worth a decent amount) as they were able to secure from NAB $600m loan.We had SFA assets ,and gained the money from a Pommy financial organisation.

The AFL have the asset backing ,we don't ,so whilst they'll take a hit, they are not in the financial situation we are in.Thus they can be more aggressive with the broadcasters as to leaving it as is.

We need long term revenue certainty ,you seem to think everything will be somehow OK in 2022 playing cool.Have you been reading the news on what is now happening in China, re their economy and how that can further impact our struggling economy?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If
Courtesy to let Murdoch know ,you have an interest in the Broncos ,we are looking at expanding into Brisbane.Murdoch spends large sums on the NRL deal.If V'Landys hadn't had a TV deal with Foxtel,you'd say nothing about expansion intentions.
The figures we had actually in the Bank was not $120m but $30m thereabouts as we apparently owed the broadcasters a loan of $80m.We were on the edge of a financial precipice.

theres a big difference between telling the broncos your intentions, and asking them for permission!

the comments by Vlandys on the $80mill are interesting. It isn’t showing in the financial reports as a liability. At the time it sounded like an advance on the tv deal that would be covered by lower annual tv payments to the same amount, looking at the media generated revenue for 18 &19 it seems that is what is happening so not sure why vLandry’s says it’s a long liability that needs paying back?

taipan

Referee
I think I have labour the digital point constantly (some may even call it whinging).

See I think like alot of people they have believed all the reporting in the mainstream media for the last few months. The agenda is clearly there just join the dots. Ask yourself what has there goal been from the outset.

See I actually believe if the media had left Dave Smith alone and he was still the NRL CEO he would have guided us through this quite effectively. But he didn't suit the News Ltd agenda.

The media that is reporting is not just ch9 and the Murdoch media and papers, but ch7,ABC TV,(Offsider's)ch10,Why because just about everyone in the media bagged the NRL for stating 28th May was the aimed for date.
Now they are all praising the NRL for actually getting done what they planned for.If that's an agenda, then they must be bagging everyone who participated in Project Apollo(including Wayne Pearce,coaches advisers to Govts like Troy Grant).
One minute we get the sh*ts because the media gives the NRL a hard time(me included),when there is a massive pat on the back) at times like this,then the media has an agenda.

Oh please, Dave Smith was a Banker ,great at figures ,takeovers all that sort of thing.He knew stuff all about rugby league, the politics of the game, and he thought he could apply the same methodology to sport ( a non profit organisation) as he did to situations within Banking.He was a nice guy, helped Cronulla during hard times.

By going solo to Ch9 to get a deal, he got under Murdoch's skins and Murdoch in reprisal upped the price ante in favour of the AFL. So AFL grabbed a bonus as a result.He then fronted the media on his own to brag about the deal.

The News Ltd agenda, the ch9 agenda, the NRL agenda is to maximise or minimise the revenue or costs involved in securing broadcast deals, depending on who has the product to sell.It's not a gentlemen's club.V'Landys agenda was to strive to get the best deal that was possible ,with Abdo assisting.

Media is there to sell papers and get ratings, they couldn't give a rats about anything else.If they don't make money, they are answerable to shareholders, the Board.

Cactus

Juniors
They're the game's biggest broadcaster, how could he not work with them?

In what world does the NRL tell News and 9 "get f**ked our way or the highway" while still receiving billions from them?

Fairyland? The North Pole? Easter Bunny's place?

Clubs/Players = Manufacturer

NRL = Wholesale Distributor

Broadcaster = Retailer

Advertising Consumers & RL Fans = Customers

taipan

Referee
If

theres a big difference between telling the broncos your intentions, and asking them for permission!

the comments by Vlandys on the $80mill are interesting. It isn’t showing in the financial reports as a liability. At the time it sounded like an advance on the tv deal that would be covered by lower annual tv payments to the same amount, looking at the media generated revenue for 18 &19 it seems that is what is happening so not sure why vLandry’s says it’s a long liability that needs paying back?

Depends on the play of words exactly what V'Landys said to Murdoch, and who cares anyway, we all want expansion.Murdoch's mob pumps in the most money, not 9.
From what I gather V'Landys is extremely courteous even to the likes of Marks who skewered the code. Podcast of there women and Andrew Webster discussed V"Landys, they all stated they heard he was a gungho, but on discussions with him found him tone extremely courteous.they all gave him a wrap.Webster stated he'll even respond to cadet reporters who ring him.

I'd imagine he would have stated ,we want to expand,Brisbane is a big market for us, and remember at one stage the Broncos wanted that city to themselves and since changed their tune.Thus letting you know as business partners ,we are looking at expansion in 2023 there.

Well the $80m was hidden somewhere in the accounts, and Greenberg was the CEO, so put your views on that basis.Am I surprised? Nup.
At one stage and I haven't got the dates, we needed $30m to pay the players, and the Tv mob provided the Loan.What has transpired since I have not a clue,to get to $80m.All I can glean we didn't have $120-130m on hand to splash around as backing but $30m.That doesn't thrill me one bit.

If ch9 lent some of the loot, they'd sure as hell want it end of 2022,when their contract expires.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Depends on the play of words exactly what V'Landys said to Murdoch, and who cares anyway, we all want expansion.Murdoch's mob pumps in the most money, not 9.
From what I gather V'Landys is extremely courteous even to the likes of Marks who skewered the code. Podcast of there women and Andrew Webster discussed V"Landys, they all stated they heard he was a gungho, but on discussions with him found him tone extremely courteous.they all gave him a wrap.Webster stated he'll even respond to cadet reporters who ring him.

I'd imagine he would have stated ,we want to expand,Brisbane is a big market for us, and remember at one stage the Broncos wanted that city to themselves and since changed their tune.Thus letting you know as business partners ,we are looking at expansion in 2023 there.

Well the $80m was hidden somewhere in the accounts, and Greenberg was the CEO, so put your views on that basis.Am I surprised? Nup.
At one stage and I haven't got the dates, we needed $30m to pay the players, and the Tv mob provided the Loan.What has transpired since I have not a clue,to get to $80m.All I can glean we didn't have $120-130m on hand to splash around as backing but $30m.That doesn't thrill me one bit.

If ch9 lent some of the loot, they'd sure as hell want it end of 2022,when their contract expires.

it would have to sit their as a payable liability with a note to repayment schedule. All I can see is this mention of it which gals about deferred payment of tv money and is not in line with Vlandys comments unless they had some deferred payment with rest due at some point in contract?

A”decrease in other current payables of $8.0m due primarily to a decrease in deferred revenue as a result of part of the $100.0m advance payment received from the broadcasters in financial years recognised as income.”

A decrease in consolidated other payables of $25.0m due primarily to a decrease in deferred revenue as a result of part of the $100.0m advance payment received from the broadcasters in prior financial years recognised as income

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal

I don't think the current laws allow this.

I'm sure the numbers are counted per venue and not partitioned by bay. As the issue is shared facilities, transport to the game etc.

V-Leader will need to get exemptions, which so far he has seemingly not had any trouble with.

siv

First Grade
I don't think the current laws allow this.

I'm sure the numbers are counted per venue and not partitioned by bay. As the issue is shared facilities, transport to the game etc.

V-Leader will need to get exemptions, which so far he has seemingly not had any trouble with.

1 person per 4 sq m

Is the rule for a shop like Bunnings

Then we will have 50 at a pub starting on Jun 1

How you determine these initial people will be the issue.

I would go with years of membership eg 10y and season ticket holders

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
1 person per 4 sq m

Is the rule for a shop like Bunnings

Then we will have 50 at a pub starting on Jun 1

How you determine these initial people will be the issue.

I would go with years of membership eg 10y and season ticket holders

Don’t sell tickets. Only let in home full ticket memberships. At a guess I think someone like Panthers have 6-7k which is plenty to fit in the stadium

Canard

Immortal
Don’t sell tickets. Only let in home full ticket memberships. At a guess I think someone like Panthers have 6-7k which is plenty to fit in the stadium

Let's be honest, in most cases turning crowds away isn't going to be a big issue.