What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 - Roosters vs Rabbitohs: Friday 29th May 7:55pm @Bankwest Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well just 13 sleeps to go guys. Let’s enjoy the build up. Will be good to finally see some footy.

I finish work at 8pm and then I’ll race home so should only miss the first 20mins (I will re watch it). Then when I get home I’ll be straight into my Souths jersey and warm heritage Souths jacket.

We may not be able to go to the footy but I’ll still wear the colours proudly and I will still get right into it.

No doubt we go in as underdogs.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I just had a look at the stats from rounds 1 and 2 and for mine our backs need to help our forwards out a bit more than what they have been doing, like in that game against the Sharks Gagai only ran 47 metres and Campbell 63 metres, it just is not enough.

Then against the Broncos Burns only ran 80 metres and Gagai 91 metres, that must be more.

One thing you will see consistently is the Roosters backs running well over 100 metres and getting them on the front foot.

So in our last game against Broncos in Round 2 I have been saying well our pack got rolled but really our pack was tired as the backs were not helping enough. Like trying to stop those bigger Broncos bodies than what we have in our pack would’ve been exhausting for our forwards.

callmack1

Staff member
I just had a look at the stats from rounds 1 and 2 and for mine our backs need to help our forwards out a bit more than what they have been doing, like in that game against the Sharks Gagai only ran 47 metres and Campbell 63 metres, it just is not enough.

Then against the Broncos Burns only ran 80 metres and Gagai 91 metres, that must be more.

One thing you will see consistently is the Roosters backs running well over 100 metres and getting them on the front foot.

So in our last game against Broncos in Round 2 I have been saying well our pack got rolled but really our pack was tired as the backs were not helping enough. Like trying to stop those bigger Broncos bodies than what we have in our pack would’ve been exhausting for our forwards.
Couldn't agree more! I remember mentioning this at the time.

callmack1

Staff member
Well, the week we've all been waiting a long time for is finally here!! I can't believe I'm saying this and it feels very surreal but we can now say it, Footy is back THIS WEEK! How good is it?! Honestly, what a great job by everyone, especially V'Landys, to get back and if you'd told me nine weeks ago that we'd be back this week, I would have laughed at you. It's big, it's bold, it's beautiful. It's Rugby League.

There's no better way to restart the Season than playing our arch rivals on a Friday night at our new home ground of Bankwest Stadium. They say hate is a very strong word but when it comes to talking about how we feel about the Roosters, well it's not strong enough. A bit of added spice in this one being Latrell's fitst game against his old club, let's hope he fires.

No doubt this will be an extremely tough encounter to restart the year and we're gonna have to be on out game. Of course, not having played for nine weeks, there'll be some rust but over all, we're going to have to very good against a (it hurts to say this) quality side. I think the forward battle is key for me. They have one of the best forward packs in the comp so we're going to have to be better than we were in Round 1 and 2 in that area. Of course, Cody is a big loss too, as is potentially not having Jimmy playing. If those two are out, the mountain is that much harder to climb and guys like Latrell, Reyno and Cookie are going to have to lift big time for this one. I know they can do it!

Honestly cannot wait for Friday to get this Season restarted at long last. Can't wait to add another chapter to the Boof of Feuds! Let's get it on!!

I hope we smash them but I have this gnawing in my gut that the last few weeks of media spotlight will set us back.

callmack1

Staff member
I hope we smash them but I have this gnawing in my gut that the last few weeks of media spotlight will set us back.
Will definitely be interesting to see how we respond. Off field stuff has the potential to really set you back and I hope that doesn't happen to us. However, it can also galvanise a side and create great motivation. Let's hope that's what happens with us.

Will definitely be interesting to see how we respond. Off field stuff has the potential to really set you back and I hope that doesn't happen to us. However, it can also galvanise a side and create great motivation. Let's hope that's what happens with us.

I'd rather it be a Bulldogs 2004 type galvanisation :) .

callmack1

Staff member
From a poster on another forum,

Was at training on Saturday, they were given the day off yesterday.

Jet was there but mostly was doing fitness work. I have a feeling he will play in place of Burns. Jet looks really happy and bloody fit.

Cook was in a rehab singlet and was subbing in and out of the A’s with Siro at hooker. (love watching Siro train)

Bench to me looks like it will be:
Lowe
Mago
Nicholls
Siro
They were the guys who were mainly rotating from the B to the A side. Mago has his rehab singlet off and doing full contact.

Dargan was defending well during the heavier contact on Saturday - he is a talker. Was defending with Murray on his inside and Burns on his outside.

Latrell was having fun with the defence as usual, he put on about 3 or 4 assists.

Some really positive news there!! Good signs by the sound of it. I'm glad Mago is sweet to go, he's explosive and we need some size off the bench.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Dargan is gonna go well, I'm actually looking forward to his debut.

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 3,

1. Mitchell
2. Gagai
3. Roberts
4. Burns
5. Graham
6. Dargan
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Su'a
12. Murray
13. Knight

14. Mago
15. Lowe
16. Nicholls
17. Johnston

Firstly, Latrell simply must be named at fullback. It's basically Round 1 again, the first two Rounds don't mean as much so Latrell will basically be starting again. By all reports, he is more fit and I just think he needs to be given a good stint there. Friday night is his chance to prove a lot of people wrong and get back into some form. What's more, I think that if Roberts is fit, then the backline remains the same as the first two Rounds. Really hoping that Jimmy will play (I think he'll be named tomorrow anyway) but if not, Graham goes to centre, AJ to the wing and Goodwin onto the bench.

Forward pack should remain the same as Rounds 1 and 2 and I think Mago deserves to come onto the bench (otherwise unchanged).

Guess we'll find out tomorrow!!

callmack1

Staff member
Round 3 Line Up vs Roosters: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/05/26/round-three-line-up-vs-roosters/

How good is is to have team list Tuesday back?! Considering the outs we have, I'm really happy with the side that Wayne has named. Latrell at fullback, Dargan to debut in place of Cody as expected, Mago to make his Souths debut from the bench, Sironen into the side, starting forwards unchanged and it's the backline re-shuffle we expected. Well, that's for now at least. Jimmy has been named in the 21 man squad which is great to see so hopefully there's a chance he'll get the late call up if he feels ready to play. It also plays a few games with the Roosters which is good!

All in all, I'm happy with that team!

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Insider - Round 3: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/05/27/rabbitohs-insider-round-three/

Man, that really got the juices, excitment and emotion flowing. What an episode!!!

Hookers set to benefit from six-again rule: https://www.nrl.com/tv/shows/game-plan/2020/hookers-set-to-benefit-from-six-again-rule/

I feel like we haven't really talked about the new rules yet but they will have a massive bearing on the game no doubt. Tomorrow night will be our first look at it, how it's going to work and the potential impacts it'll have. To be honest, my thinking has changed as I'm now quite excited for it. Have seen all the media interviews where they've all said we haven't really looked at it yet but I find that hard to believe, Wayne is too smart for that. Adjusting to it is something we have to get right and that will go a long way to beating the Roosters.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rabbitohs halfback Adam Reynolds believes the Roosters are now the most hated team in the NRL

Adam Reynolds stirred the pot ahead of Souths’ showdown against the Roosters by saying Trent Robinson’s side have now overtaken Manly as the competition’s most hated team.

Fatima Kdouh , The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only
May 27, 2020 6:16am

NRL: Rabbitohs captain Adam Reynolds believes it won’t be long before James Roberts is selected to play in the side.

When South Sydney’s Adam Reynolds was asked if the Sydney Roosters had overtaken Manly as the most hated team in the NRL the halfback responded without any hesitation.

“100 per cent,” Reynolds replied.

Friday night’s blockbuster between the two-time reigning premiers and the Rabbitohs marks another chapter in the Book of Feuds with Latrell Mitchell going up against his former club for the first time, and Reynolds is expecting another “fiery encounter.”

There’s nothing like a bit of Rabbitohs-Roosters rivalry to get the season restarted.

“They’re are our rivals and we share a border with them, with the history and what’s gone on between the two clubs things get heated as everyone knows. They are always great games when we come up against them. They are always tough and always physical,” he said.

“I can’t speak on behalf of every other club, there is obviously reasons why everyone hates them but for us it’s about that rivalry.”

Five-eighth Cody Walker will miss Friday night’s game after he was suspended for two matches for his role in a street fight back in December. As revealed in The Daily Telegraph last week, it means Reynolds will have a new partner in the halves with Troy Dargan to step into Walker’s spot in the starting side. Reynolds said Dargan and Walker shared similar playing styles.

“He’s a cool, calm and collected sort of kid. He doesn’t talk too much, he’s pretty quiet but once he gets out there on the field he is a different beast. He’s a bit similar to Cody Walker, his running game is his strength and he’s dangerous when he takes the line on, he’s got a good show and go and he’s got nice hands as well,” Reynolds said.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/aea31b4320d4e62bc80d816caee7f5ab

Rabbits20

Immortal
Late mail: South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett has guaranteed star Latrell Mitchell will punch out all 80 minutes in Friday’s grudge match against the Sydney Roosters. James Roberts is a confirmed out due to a lack of fitness as Mitchell faces his former club for the first time since his controversial exit over the summer. “He won’t be getting replaced tomorrow night,” Bennett said on Thursday. Trent Robinson, meanwhile, has confirmed that the Siosiua Taukeiaho is firming for gametime after a hamstring tweak picked up in training.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/507f3e5c89b41b774d99d454a8af56e0

Latest posts